•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

My new ATED60 is ready to go..

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 descott12

descott12

Gemini

• topic starter
  • Loc: Charlotte, NC

Posted 22 April 2021 - 05:09 PM

Hello all,

My new mini refractor is ready to go. I was surprised at how small it was with the focuser fully in and the dew shield retracted.

Looks like it is made really well and seems to be an excellent bargain for the price.

Here it is with the 0.8  reducer and 294MC Pro ready to go.

It is so light that my smallest counterweight is too heavy. I may need to get creative.

I also printed a custom Bahtinov mask for it.

I am hoping to give it a run tonight and will report back.
Cheers

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_3622.JPG

• Ptarmigan, Scott Mitchell, eros312 and 7 others like this

#2 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 22 April 2021 - 05:14 PM

I suspect you will have a lot of fun with that scope if it is anything like my AT72EDII.smile.gif

#3 nicknacknock

nicknacknock

A man of many qualities, even if they are mostly bad ones

• Administrators
  • Loc: Nicosia, Cyprus

Posted 23 April 2021 - 01:39 AM

Dave,

You sure the mount can cope with it? lol.gif

Enjoy it - a small, very well made scope with great optics!

• descott12 likes this

#4 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 23 April 2021 - 06:43 AM

I'm guilty of overmounting my 72EDII too - they don't seem to mind.smile.gif

#5 descott12

descott12

Gemini

• topic starter

Posted 23 April 2021 - 10:06 AM

I had a successful first light. The scope is very nice quality and the focuser is rock solid. I was just playing and since the moon was 3/4 and very bright I wasn't expecting too much.

I first manually swung it over to the moon.  It looks so lonely in this super-wide FOV (276 arc-min wide).

I next went to the Markarian chain. Usually just the four or five main galaxies fill most of my FOV but as you can see here, there are now hundreds! (SC Pro 35 second exposure,  gain 136, 6:13 total time)

I was a little surprised to see the significant vignetting. The scope is supposed to be able to illuminate 41 mm circle with the reducer. My 294 is 23 mm diagonal so it should have fit easily within the illuminated circle. Could this just be due to bright moon??  I didn't use flats or darks tonight but I can certainly use them in the future.

On the upside, the reducer is also a flattener and it looks like I have very nice stars all the way into the corners.

One nice thing about the short focal length is that I could easily get 60 second exposures and this was without proper balancing and a VERY rough polar alignment and no guiding.  So maybe I can get into some more AP-like images although I refuse to do much or any post-processing!!!!

Clearly, this focal length isn't ideal for galaxies. I am mostly looking to use it for large, colorful nebula and some large swaths of the milky way.

Overall, very pleased.

Attached Thumbnails

• 00459.jpg
  • 00460.jpg
  • 5145519.jpg

• eros312, Stargazer3236, nicknacknock and 2 others like this

#6 Stargazer3236

Stargazer3236

Aurora

• ****-
  • Loc: Waltham, MA

Posted 26 April 2021 - 08:08 PM

I have used my AT60ED for imaging a lot of the summer nebula like the Lagoon and Trifid in one shot, the full swath of the Veil nebula, the region around Sadr in Cygnus, M16 and M17 in one shot. It is a lot of fun with a wider FOV.

#7 descott12

descott12

Gemini

• topic starter

Posted 26 April 2021 - 08:39 PM

I have used my AT60ED for imaging a lot of the summer nebula like the Lagoon and Trifid in one shot, the full swath of the Veil nebula, the region around Sadr in Cygnus, M16 and M17 in one shot. It is a lot of fun with a wider FOV.

Yep that was sort of my plan for it.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics