•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Incredibley Super High-Priced Nikon Binos

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
260 replies to this topic

#1 RalphMeisterTigerMan

RalphMeisterTigerMan

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 22 April 2021 - 05:16 PM

I have been going INSANE trying to figure this one out...actually, that's a lie because I'm already Insane. Up here in the Great White North we have a sort-of Pharamacy Superstore called London Drugs. They even have an Optical Department with some pretty cool stuff, including Binoculars and Spotting scopes.

Now, I just went back to double-check what I saw because I couldn't believe it the first 5 times that I saw it. A pair of Nikon WX 10X50 IF roof prism binoculars for the low, low, low price of only (drum roll please)  *** $9,975.99 ***  Yes, you read that right. Now can anyone possibly explain to me what could make these Binoculars worth that price? 

*** - Vulcan optical glass?

*** - Klingon prisms?

*** - Romulan coatings?

*** - Dominion composite materials for the housings?

*** - Organian opticians ground and polished the glass?

Someone must know the reason for the exorbitant price for these "field glasses" - LOL!

Clear skies and keep looking up!

RalphMeisterTigerMan

#2 zakry3323

zakry3323

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Fairfield, Westmoreland County, PA

Posted 22 April 2021 - 05:26 PM

Nikon's MSRP for them is only $6399.95 - must be that Great White North Inflation :)

#3 Stellar1

Stellar1

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Posted 22 April 2021 - 05:32 PM

Ok, unless these things use dilithium crystal prisms I don't get this either, what the! the frames are made from unobtanium (Avatar).

Edited by Stellar1, 22 April 2021 - 05:32 PM.

#4 StarBurger

StarBurger

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: North Country NY

Posted 22 April 2021 - 05:33 PM

At that price because there is one born every minute....

#5 eyespy

eyespy

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: BC Canada

Posted 22 April 2021 - 05:49 PM

Maybe Canadian $$$$$. If so, exchange rate and shipping could account for that.

Doug.....

#6 astroneil

astroneil

Vanguard

Posted 22 April 2021 - 05:49 PM

I have been going INSANE trying to figure this one out...actually, that's a lie because I'm already Insane. Up here in the Great White North we have a sort-of Pharamacy Superstore called London Drugs. They even have an Optical Department with some pretty cool stuff, including Binoculars and Spotting scopes.

Now, I just went back to double-check what I saw because I couldn't believe it the first 5 times that I saw it. A pair of Nikon WX 10X50 IF roof prism binoculars for the low, low, low price of only (drum roll please)  *** $9,975.99 ***  Yes, you read that right. Now can anyone possibly explain to me what could make these Binoculars worth that price? 

*** - Vulcan optical glass?

*** - Klingon prisms?

*** - Romulan coatings?

*** - Dominion composite materials for the housings?

*** - Organian opticians ground and polished the glass?

Someone must know the reason for the exorbitant price for these "field glasses" - LOL!

RalphMeisterTigerMan

lol.gif 

#7 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Cosmos

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 22 April 2021 - 05:52 PM

Hi, Ralph!

They are available for as little as $6400. Yeah, they're worth the Premium Price. This is a ~highest-end~ premium bino, with the best optics and performance... hardened for field use. It is even certified waterproof to tolerate immersion five meters below the water line for ten minutes. (That spec is intended to simulate dropping overboard and then diving down to recover it).

There are a couple other hand-held binos in that price range. The advantage of buying the best is that you just use and even abuse them and they keep performing where cheaper binos would leak, lose alignment, or even fall apart. So the decision is to either buy a cheap one and hope it lasts, or buy a few cheap ones and consider that's one plus a couple of spares... or buy the best and blissfully kick the snot out of it! That last option is wonderful, provided cash hardly enters into one's decision.

[I worked on a lot of mil-spec optics for Uncle Sam. Testing was a blend of frightening and mesmerizing. And field-use warranted that level of hardening. Some of the stuff we got back for refurb had clearly been through the mill. Part of the price is knowing the factory will repair either under warranty or for a modest non-warranty charge. For our amateur astronomy applications --- that level of assurance may simply not be worth the added cost.]    Tom

#8 ihf

ihf

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: California, USA

Posted 22 April 2021 - 05:52 PM

Oh, Canadian! How much is it in real money?

#9 Fiske

Fiske

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Kansas (Kansas City area) / USA

Posted 22 April 2021 - 05:57 PM

There are a few more advantages to the Nikon WX binoculars.

1. If anything goes wrong with them you can be screwed around five ways from Sunday by the Nikon Service Department.

2. They help me understand there is a limit! For me, anyway. I'm just not going there. wink.gif My hat is off to the those who have poneyed up for them and shared info with the rest of us. And I do get it. It's just not for me.

Fiske

PS: I should add that while they aren't necessarily efficient, the Nikon Service folk are friendly and are trying to do the right thing.

Edited by Fiske, 22 April 2021 - 05:57 PM.

#10 DrJ1

DrJ1

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 22 April 2021 - 07:01 PM

There is a law of diminishing returns.  Allbinos rates the Nikon WX as the best 10x50 binocular.  Their second highest rated 10x50 is the Fujinon FMTR-SX.  You can buy the Fujnon from Adorama in NY for $657 (US) without the rubber armor (FMT-SX)  last time I checked.  DrJ1

#11 EverlastingSky

EverlastingSky

Apollo

• Loc: Vancouver Canada

Posted 22 April 2021 - 07:17 PM

London Drugs also had, some years back, the Nikon Edge series for a curiously inflated price far beyond the exchange rate. I calculated about $800 lower cost to buy direct from Japan on ebay plus shipping than buy Nikon Edge 8x42 etc. ,at London Drugs.

#12 sevenofnine

sevenofnine

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Santa Rosa, California

Posted 22 April 2021 - 07:31 PM

The Nikon 10x50 WX should only be ONLY be $7999 Canadian if that makes you feel any better. grin.gif  I noticed on another website that Nikon is selling binocular telescopes for big bucks. I've also read that they are branching into other market sectors because the consumer camera market has cratered. Some have speculated that they are really scrambling to survive. shocked.gif

#13 DeanD

DeanD

Messenger

• Loc: South Australia

Posted 22 April 2021 - 07:41 PM

Oh, Canadian! How much is it in real money?

In real money it would be $A10354.26    waytogo.gif

(PS: Doesn't "London Drugs" say it all?)

Edited by DeanD, 22 April 2021 - 07:43 PM.

#14 DeanD

DeanD

Messenger

• Loc: South Australia

Posted 22 April 2021 - 07:42 PM

[I worked on a lot of mil-spec optics for Uncle Sam. Testing was a blend of frightening and mesmerizing. And field-use warranted that level of hardening. Some of the stuff we got back for refurb had clearly been through the mill. Part of the price is knowing the factory will repair either under warranty or for a modest non-warranty charge. For our amateur astronomy applications --- that level of assurance may simply not be worth the added cost.]    Tom

Do they try running over them with a bulldozer? I know from experience that Thermos flasks don't stand up to well to this test...  ;)

#15 RalphMeisterTigerMan

RalphMeisterTigerMan

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 22 April 2021 - 08:51 PM

Dear IKF, Canadian currency IS real money! Except those of you who are still trying to unwrap the "Gold Foil" which surrounds the Canadian looney in order to get to the chocolate coin underneath. LOL! Hardy-har-har.

Yes I get it. We Canadians get a raw deal when it comes to pay for something being sold in the US. 

I still don't get the super high price? Perhaps it has some "latinum" in it.

RalphMeisterTigerMan

#16 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Cosmos

Posted 22 April 2021 - 08:52 PM

Do they try running over them with a bulldozer? I know from experience that Thermos flasks don't stand up to well to this test...  wink.gif

Heh --- we had some acceleration and vibration specs that would most certainly rate as major league baseball bat impulse abuse. But that was not binos --- let's just call it ~other~.    Tom

#17 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 22 April 2021 - 10:00 PM

Dear IKF, Canadian currency IS real money! Except those of you who are still trying to unwrap the "Gold Foil" which surrounds the Canadian looney in order to get to the chocolate coin underneath. LOL! Hardy-har-har.

Yes I get it. We Canadians get a raw deal when it comes to pay for something being sold in the US. 

RalphMeisterTigerMan

The Nikon WX Series are an ultimate binocular.  

Consider their optics: They're ED/apos with field flatteners/focal reducers.  Think two 50 mm versions of TeleVue NP-101 mounted side by side.  Then there's the oversized roof prisms that allow for a well illuminated 9 degree field of view. And then there's the eyepieces, 15 mm of eye relief with a nominal 90 degree AFoV.  Think Nagler/Ethos x 2

That's about as perfect as view as is possible.

And then it has to be in a mechanical assembly of the highest quality.. 

In reality, given the design costs, the R&D, the limited production, it's very likely Nikon is losing money the wx's.

I'm not buying a pair but from what I read, you do get what you pay for..

Jon

#18 PEterW

PEterW

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: SW London, UK

Posted 23 April 2021 - 01:31 AM

There is a lot to like with the WX, a number of things to hate. The views are just crazy wide and sharp to the field stop. The eyecups are odd and they need a tripod as they’re so heavy. Got a quick view through a pair once.... might get a pair if I win the lottery (which I’ve never played).

Peter

#19 edwincjones

edwincjones

Close Enough

Posted 23 April 2021 - 04:44 AM

I was overly critical of the WXs when they came out

-too small, too heavy, too expensive;

but in retrospect I wish I could have gotten a pair.

frown.gif   edj

#20 warpsl

warpsl

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 23 April 2021 - 05:38 AM

That's the Aussie price.makes my docter look like a steal.

#21 range88

range88

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Shanghai

Posted 23 April 2021 - 08:08 AM

Time has passed since Nikon WX first hit the market.

Curious thing is: the price of  WX 10X50 actually slowly climbed up in China, to over $7000. They were once sold for $5500 NEW. Now you can easily sell used 10x50 for $6300. That means you earn money for a new bought binocualars.

You don't see this often.

#22 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Cosmos

Posted 23 April 2021 - 08:28 AM

Do they try running over them with a bulldozer? I know from experience that Thermos flasks don't stand up to well to this test...  wink.gif

Heh --- we had some acceleration and vibration specs that would most certainly rate as major league baseball bat impulse abuse. But that was not binos --- let's just call it ~other~.    Tom

I just remembered one of the relatively minor tests. The QC (Quality Control) Department had the endless list of tests (mill-spec and Program Specific(s)) and the labs and facilities to execute those. One for lens element impulse shock durability >>> You put the element on a steel plate and drop a 1-inch diameter steel ball bearing right onto the center of it from a specified height --- around six feet. The lens cannot shatter. For some reason, that one always amused me. Probably because I was imagining my astronomy hobbyist buddies pampering their precious scopes and having cows over meh finger prints and dust. While our troops are slogging thru dust, mud and bullets --- dragging their Night Vision and other gear along for the ride.

Coatings got a huge list of adhesion, abrasion, humidity, dew, immersion, thermal, and chemical-attack abuses. Entire Satellites got what we casually called "Shake 'n' Bake" where the precious thing left the assembly floor and truly got the snot kicked out of it in various torture chambers. Vacuum, thermal fry/cryo cycling, radiation soft and hard, vibe, acoustic, magnetic, sparks. And most of those machines had alarms to clear the area before test else it would literally kill animal or vegetable... from a virus to a human --- no one left alive. Even the acoustic one (sims launch loads) wouldn't just blow out your ears... it would turn plants into purée and us ~ugly giant bags of mostly water~ into pâté.

These and other ~shall~ requirements readily explain why mil hardware costs a fortune --- and helps explain why Best Premium Binos cost $10K --- and are worth it.    Tom

#23 Foss

Foss

Viking 1

Posted 23 April 2021 - 08:43 AM

@ RalphMeisterTigerMan

You job is to walk into the store and convince the night manager that they've misplaced a decimal point and sell them to you for $997.59. Bring cash and leave your car running. grin.gif

#24 ihf

ihf

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: California, USA

Posted 23 April 2021 - 09:03 AM

Or at least try the demo model out in store and report back!

#25 SandyHouTex

SandyHouTex

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Houston, Texas, USA

Posted 23 April 2021 - 09:19 AM

RalphMeisterTigerMan

For the average astronomical binocular user, it’s just a way to seperate you from a lot of your money.  I collect luxery watchs, and the same thing exists there.  Watches with an MSRP of $100,000.

”A fool and his money are soon parted.” - Proverbs 21:20.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics