•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Incredibley Super High-Priced Nikon Binos

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
260 replies to this topic

#251 kcl31

kcl31

Mariner 2

• Loc: San Jose CA

Posted 06 May 2021 - 11:56 AM

I have $6500, but still won’t buy the WXs because in the end, they’re still just 50mm binoculars.

If I was going to buy a pai of binoculars for that price, here is what I’d get:

https://www.bhphotov...ASABEgLchPD_BwE

Have you looked through one of these Fujinon 150s? The optical design is considerably out dated IMO (strong CA, small eyepiece and fixed mag). Except you have plan to mount it on a ship.

For similar price, astronomy use, the APM 150ED binoculars with 2 inch interchangeable eyepieces should be a much better choice, which you would enjoy modern eyepieces and level of correction in objective lens, and a angled view.

#252 Fiske

Fiske

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Kansas (Kansas City area) / USA

Posted 06 May 2021 - 11:58 AM

Have you looked through one of these Fujinon 150s? The optical design is considerably out dated IMO (strong CA, small eyepiece and fixed mag). Except you have plan to mount it on a ship.

For similar price, astronomy use, the APM 150ED binoculars with 2 inch interchangeable eyepieces should be a much better choice, which you would enjoy modern eyepieces and level of correction in objective lens, and a angled view.

Or thiswink.gif

#253 ihf

ihf

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: California, USA

Posted 06 May 2021 - 11:59 AM

Fortunately our hobby is affordable. Other message boards have real high rollers (more recent summary).

#254 Fiske

Fiske

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Kansas (Kansas City area) / USA

Posted 06 May 2021 - 12:00 PM

Fortunately our hobby is affordable. Other message boards have real high rollers (more recent summary).

Probably has a 10x50WX in the glove box...

#255 kcl31

kcl31

Mariner 2

• Loc: San Jose CA

Posted 06 May 2021 - 12:08 PM

> Questar Telescopes, especially the 7-incher

> TeleVue Eyepieces, especially the Apollo 11

> Premium Binos, especially the WX

Very interestinglol.gif

But I'd like to compare WX to following equipment in each category:

> Telescopes, AP 10" Mak

> Eyepieces, Nikon Nav-HW

As they are maybe less collectable or decorative, but similarly low performance/cost ratio, and definitely their designer are trying to reach extremes with no optical compromises...bow.gif

#256 skysurfer

skysurfer

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: EU, N 52 E 6

Posted 06 May 2021 - 12:43 PM

Tom, you need to adjust your forum preferences. It's only 5 pages on my phone, and probably less on my desktop.

Thanks. I set it to 100 posts per page, so this topic counts only 3 pages now. Phone or desktop makes no difference for me.

It is indeed funny. I am sure image quality and FOV are awesome, but spending over 6 grand for a 10x50 bino....

For less than half price (and weight, only 1kg) you get these excellent binos, same FOV. And it is not plastic, despite probably made in China (but that is the WX as well).

#257 PEterW

PEterW

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: SW London, UK

Posted 06 May 2021 - 12:53 PM

…. The amount of grief that comes out against the NV crowd…. Sure the view is great but it costs SO much…. Just like the WX! You decide what you want to see and how much you want to spend….

Peter

#258 Rich V.

Rich V.

Cosmos

• Loc: Lake Tahoe area, Nevada

Posted 06 May 2021 - 01:20 PM

For less than half price (and weight, only 1kg) you get these excellent binos, same FOV. And it is not plastic, despite probably made in China (but that is the WX as well).

The Swaro 10x50 is a fine choice, one that I would prefer in a 50mm bino, but a 6.6° FOV compared to a 9° FOV is a pretty far off of being the "same FOV" if a UWA bino is what you're looking for.

Rich

#259 Rich V.

Rich V.

Cosmos

• Loc: Lake Tahoe area, Nevada

Posted 06 May 2021 - 01:32 PM

I don't see why there's all the continuing negativity about the WX; either you like the idea or you don't.  If it's what you've been looking for and you feel the price is appropriate, great.  Nikon went to considerable effort to produce a "tour de force" bino for those it matters to.  That's all.  Don't buy it if the drug store you're shopping in has one for $10,000 when you can get it elsewhere for only $6400.

How is this worse somehow than what people are willing to spend on rooms full of Tak scopes, garages with many high performance cars or motorcycles, huge RVs, extravagantly large houses, world travel, fine wine, whatever?  Do we feel the need to rag on them also to point out our superior "rationality" vs. their foolish "excesses"?   Does that make us feel better somehow?  I doubt it will make a difference.   shrug.gif

If you don't think the WX is worth the money, or that it's a foolish acquisition, you've probably made your point about that by now anyway, after 250+ posts.

Rich

#260 Lyons77

Lyons77

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Colorado

Posted 06 May 2021 - 01:36 PM

We're considering re-doing the master bath. And I was recently intruoduced to something I never even realized existed >>> Bidets range from economy $100 to premium $4K and up from there. Hmmm... where do I stand on this   Tom

I'm not sure, but I think you are supposed to sit on it.   :)

#261 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Netherlands, Europe

Posted 06 May 2021 - 01:53 PM

This thread has more than run it’s course and is now lock.gif  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics