•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Prices up!

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#1 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• topic starter
  • Loc: 39.07°N, 229m AMSL, USA

Posted 24 April 2021 - 09:50 AM

The Orion 150mm Maksutov-Cass price new went up $50 bucks over night. It had been $599.99 for years, and just jumped $50 bucks. I guess that was inevitable, still an 8.3% price hike is a pretty big bump. Tariffs I guess contributed the most, followed be decreased supply and increased demand. Just for reference: The Current Annual Rate of Inflation in the U.S. for the 12 months ending in February 2021 is 1.68%.

• SandyHouTex and teashea like this

#2 Maritime

Maritime

Apollo

Posted 24 April 2021 - 10:01 AM

Mother of God, I’ll take two!  

My long dead father used to say memory is a bad thing....

#3 Stu Todd

Stu Todd

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southern New Zealand

Posted 24 April 2021 - 10:07 AM

Try buying a 30 series graphics card. Some people have more money than sense to keep the scalpers in business. Smh. 

• highfnum, KemalOz, CeeKay and 1 other like this

#4 nfotis

nfotis

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Athens, Greece

Posted 24 April 2021 - 10:09 AM

That's why I hurried and ordered a Skymax 180, since it seems that Synta is raising prices across the board and brands...

N.F.

#5 Bill Barlow

Bill Barlow

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Overland Park KS

Posted 24 April 2021 - 10:21 AM

Meade has already raised prices on their ACF OTA’s and Maks by about 10%.  Seeing if Celestron will do the same in the near future.

Bill

#6 Astronomics

Astronomics

Vendor: Astronomics

• Caretakers
  • Loc: Right Here

Posted 24 April 2021 - 10:23 AM

The issue, more than likely, is a combination of double the shipping rate on sea cargo and the non renewal of the furlough of the additional 7.5% tariff.  I know those two factors raised our cost 25%.

• Paul Hyndman, Doug Culbertson, George N and 14 others like this

#7 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 24 April 2021 - 10:33 AM

The issue, more than likely, is a combination of double the shipping rate on sea cargo and the non renewal of the furlough of the additional 7.5% tariff.  I know those two factors raised our cost 25%.

Thank you for the honest, clear, and concise answer.

• Astronomics, okiestarman56, ianatcn and 3 others like this

#8 Astronomics

Astronomics

Vendor: Astronomics

• Caretakers
  • Loc: Right Here

Posted 24 April 2021 - 11:18 AM

I am sitting here getting filing done today looking at our Fed Ex information tags on every order and I see another reason for price increases.  Domestic shipping is through the roof right now.  Average cost to ship our Voyager Mount that weighs in at 22 pounds, and has minimal insurance due to value, is $31.  Our AT72/60 case that sells for $50 has an average shipping price of $16.  On our products it is a little easier to swallow the shipping cost, but on products from other manufacturers that have an average profit margin in the mid teens it becomes increasingly more difficult to offer free shipping on large boxes.  The amazon model will eventually be the death of telescope retailers as we know them.

• okiestarman56, agavephoto, ianatcn and 10 others like this

#9 Doug Culbertson

Doug Culbertson

Cosmos

• Loc: N. Florida

Posted 24 April 2021 - 11:26 AM

I am sitting here getting filing done today looking at our Fed Ex information tags on every order and I see another reason for price increases.  Domestic shipping is through the roof right now.  Average cost to ship our Voyager Mount that weighs in at 22 pounds, and has minimal insurance due to value, is $31.  Our AT72/60 case that sells for $50 has an average shipping price of $16.  On our products it is a little easier to swallow the shipping cost, but on products from other manufacturers that have an average profit margin in the mid teens it becomes increasingly more difficult to offer free shipping on large boxes.  The amazon model will eventually be the death of telescope retailers as we know them.

I could see the end of free shipping from vendors in the very near future, and I wouldn't blame them. I've already had to pay shipping from a couple of places that had an item that wasn't carried by Astronomics, and wondered how long  until all astro dealers follow that trend. 

An example of shipping costs; last week I sold a 48" Orion soft case and included shipping in my price of $70. Not wanting to fold it, I put it in a flat 49" long box and took it to FedEx. The price to ship it from Florida to Texas via FedEx Ground was $60, and it couldn't have weighed much more than 5 pounds. USPS wanted $53 for Parcel Post, or whatever they call it now.  I ended up folding it into a square box and sent it Priority Mail for $15. 

• JMP, Sarkikos, jeremiah2229 and 1 other like this

#10 payner

payner

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Bluegrass & SW Appalachian Regions, Kentucky

Posted 24 April 2021 - 11:28 AM

The unbearable domestic shipping charges have really brought my selling items I may not be using to a near halt. It's a shame, but the times they are a-changin'.

I was fixing to order a case for a telescope last week, the cost to ship was a full 25 percent of the cost of the case ($200 - $50). I decided to not place that order.

Randy

• Procyon, NC Startrekker, Paul Morow and 1 other like this

#11 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 24 April 2021 - 11:47 AM

Believe me, I notice that everytime I sell an item and then must ship it!

• SandyHouTex and teashea like this

#12 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 24 April 2021 - 11:52 AM

I could see the end of free shipping from vendors in the very near future, and I wouldn't blame them. I've already had to pay shipping from a couple of places that had an item that wasn't carried by Astronomics, and wondered how long  until all astro dealers follow that trend. 

An example of shipping costs; last week I sold a 48" Orion soft case and included shipping in my price of $70. Not wanting to fold it, I put it in a flat 49" long box and took it to FedEx. The price to ship it from Florida to Texas via FedEx Ground was $60, and it couldn't have weighed much more than 5 pounds. USPS wanted $53 for Parcel Post, or whatever they call it now.  I ended up folding it into a square box and sent it Priority Mail for $15. 

Priority mail flat rate is the just about only way I do it anymore. Three out of the last five telescopes I’ve sold have been thru local pickup or midway meetup, one I had to resort to parting out, and with the the other, the buyer paid shipping all the way to Europe, which was extremely expensive. The cost of shipping is the principle reason why I curtailed my pattern of buy-and-try with telescopes. Also, I saw the writing on the wall a couple of years ago and underwent a drastic cutback in the number of telescopes I had just because I realized how hard it would be to sell them in the future with continually rising shipping costs.

Edited by Terra Nova, 24 April 2021 - 11:03 PM.

• nemo129, NC Startrekker, Rick-T137 and 3 others like this

#13 Doug Culbertson

Doug Culbertson

Cosmos

• Loc: N. Florida

Posted 24 April 2021 - 11:56 AM

Priority mail flat rate is the only way I do it anymore. Three out of the last five telescopes I’ve sold have been thru local pickup or midway meetup, one I had to result to parting out, and the other the buyer paid shipping all the way to Europe, which was extremely expensive.

Yep, and even flat rate prices have gone up recently. I was going to hold a "garage sale" on the CN Classifieds for a bunch of odds and ends; refractor focuser, finder scopes, etc. but, given the price of shipping, I'd just about be better off just tossing the lot in the bin. Last year I sold a tripod that ended up costing me $5 more to ship it than I charged the buyer for the tripod. That was the first thing I had sold in awhile and it was a real eye opener. 

• NC Startrekker and Terra Nova like this

#14 NC Startrekker

NC Startrekker

Apollo

• Loc: Sandhills of NC

Posted 24 April 2021 - 01:15 PM

The unbearable domestic shipping charges have really brought my selling items I may not be using to a near halt. It's a shame, but the times they are a-changin'.

I was fixing to order a case for a telescope last week, the cost to ship was a full 25 percent of the cost of the case ($200 - $50). I decided to not place that order.

Randy

+1 Randy on your first point. 

Regarding your second, it sounds like you were wanting to order a Stellarvue C130L. I may be wrong on this but coincidently I went through the same decision a few months ago. When I placed my order for the case, I was astonished with the cost of the cheapest shipping option available (just under $50).  I have bought several of their ballistic nylon cases over the years and the shipping on this order was significantly higher than in the past. I reached out to SV to confirm the cost. A very helpful young lady agreed it seemed high and would look into it. She quickly got back to me. After looking at all possible options, she was able to save me just over $2!  I went ahead with the order because there really is no comparable “soft sided” case available. Don’t get me wrong, there are a number of soft side options but none that think they are a hard-side case like the Stellarvues. So what a person to do but grin and bear it. Welcome to the new normal!  undecided.gif

#15 NC Startrekker

NC Startrekker

Apollo

Posted 24 April 2021 - 01:19 PM

Priority mail flat rate is the only way I do it anymore. Three out of the last five telescopes I’ve sold have been thru local pickup or midway meetup, one I had to result to parting out, and with the the other, the buyer paid shipping all the way to Europe, which was extremely expensive. The cost of shipping is the principle reason why I curtailed my pattern of buy-and-try with telescopes. Also, I saw the writing on the wall a couple of years ago and underwent a drastic cutback in the number of telescopes I had just because I realized how hard it would be to sell them in the future with continually rising shipping costs.

Much the same here Terra. Very fortunately, the last two scopes I sold were midway meetups. A positive was that in the process, I made a new friend and a potential observing buddy. 

• Terra Nova likes this

#16 NC Startrekker

NC Startrekker

Apollo

Posted 24 April 2021 - 01:21 PM

Yep, and even flat rate prices have gone up recently. I was going to hold a "garage sale" on the CN Classifieds for a bunch of odds and ends; refractor focuser, finder scopes, etc. but, given the price of shipping, I'd just about be better off just tossing the lot in the bin. Last year I sold a tripod that ended up costing me $5 more to ship it than I charged the buyer for the tripod. That was the first thing I had sold in awhile and it was a real eye opener. 

Same thoughts here Doug. I may post a few items in the classifieds down the road but more likely will just wait out the pandemic and the return of star parties and swap tables to avoid shipping hassles/cost. 

• George N and Terra Nova like this

#17 Cpk133

Cpk133

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: SE Michigan

Posted 24 April 2021 - 01:33 PM

You'll own nothing and like it.

• wcoastsands likes this

#18 Robindonne

Robindonne

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 24 April 2021 - 01:41 PM

You are all lucky. In europe prices increased 20-50% on skywatcher and some celestrons. A small mak127 from €225,- to €410. Comacorrector from €220,- to €310. Esprit 120ed from €2500 to €3100,- Its strange. It cant be shippingcosts alone. Some items did and some didn’t increase in price. We are all being fooled. I had a wishlist with screenshots build during 2020. The smallest/cheapest/most sold/<€2000 items increased a lot. All above €2000,- (probably sold less often) didnt take a high jump in price. Except the esprit, but thats a well sold item. China gave us Covid=lockdowns=time to look to space=price jumps in astrogear.

You have to be a bit **** to think shippingcosts of a comacorrector needs 50% increase vs shipping of a C11needs 0% extra costs😬

#19 payner

payner

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Bluegrass & SW Appalachian Regions, Kentucky

Posted 24 April 2021 - 01:48 PM

+1 Randy on your first point. 

Regarding your second, it sounds like you were wanting to order a Stellarvue C130L. I may be wrong on this but coincidently I went through the same decision a few months ago. When I placed my order for the case, I was astonished with the cost of the cheapest shipping option available (just under $50).  I have bought several of their ballistic nylon cases over the years and the shipping on this order was significantly higher than in the past. I reached out to SV to confirm the cost. A very helpful young lady agreed it seemed high and would look into it. She quickly got back to me. After looking at all possible options, she was able to save me just over $2!  I went ahead with the order because there really is no comparable “soft sided” case available. Don’t get me wrong, there are a number of soft side options but none that think they are a hard-side case like the Stellarvues. So what a person to do but grin and bear it. Welcome to the new normal!  undecided.gif

Hi Alan: Yes, it was a that case, and I don't think they were "gouging" on shipping, it's just so doggone expensive. I have not had one of their cases, so was going to try on the good feedback from folks with them.

I use hard-sided cases for most of my equipment--Pelican, SKB and Storm cases. I have a Tenba from their line of excellent soft-hard (semi-hard sided?) cases and use it for a refractor. The Tenba cases have better shipping  and many of this class of their cases have rear wheels with extendable handles. I think those will likely better fit my needs (wants).

Best,

Randy

• NC Startrekker likes this

#20 NC Startrekker

NC Startrekker

Apollo

Posted 24 April 2021 - 04:00 PM

Hi Alan: Yes, it was a that case, and I don't think they were "gouging" on shipping, it's just so doggone expensive. I have not had one of their cases, so was going to try on the good feedback from folks with them.

I use hard-sided cases for most of my equipment--Pelican, SKB and Storm cases. I have a Tenba from their line of excellent soft-hard (semi-hard sided?) cases and use it for a refractor. The Tenba cases have better shipping  and many of this class of their cases have rear wheels with extendable handles. I think those will likely better fit my needs (wants).

Best,

Randy

waytogo.gif

#21 SandyHouTex

SandyHouTex

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Houston, Texas, USA

Posted 24 April 2021 - 05:34 PM

Priority mail flat rate is the only way I do it anymore. Three out of the last five telescopes I’ve sold have been thru local pickup or midway meetup, one I had to result to parting out, and with the the other, the buyer paid shipping all the way to Europe, which was extremely expensive. The cost of shipping is the principle reason why I curtailed my pattern of buy-and-try with telescopes. Also, I saw the writing on the wall a couple of years ago and underwent a drastic cutback in the number of telescopes I had just because I realized how hard it would be to sell them in the future with continually rising shipping costs.

Smart woman.

What’s the stock market going to do this week?

Edited by SandyHouTex, 24 April 2021 - 05:38 PM.

• Terra Nova and Lord Baltimore like this

#22 Bean614

Bean614

Vanguard

• Loc: Mass.

Posted 24 April 2021 - 05:51 PM

"Priority mail flat rate is the only way I do it anymore"......!!!!!!  100% Agreed Terra!  There's now about 6 or 7 different Sized Flat Rate boxes (including some nice long ones), and they are the best deal anywhere for shipping these days. Now, even if I have the Original Boxes, I refuse to ship large, heavy items, like scopes, mounts, and tripods.  Even if the buyer is going to pay for shipping,  I figure that after getting  slammed for those costs, they're not going to be very happy about the transaction, even if the item is like new!

Priority Mail is your newest friend.....

• SandyHouTex and Terra Nova like this

#23 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 24 April 2021 - 05:59 PM

Believe me, I notice that everytime I sell an item and then must ship it!

That is why i got out the game long ago and will not ship anymore or buy anything bigger than a eyepiece used thanks to shipping prices.  Would hate to see what it cost to ship my 18" Obsession if i ever sold it.

#24 Retired Dave

Retired Dave

Viking 1

• Loc: Greenville, SC

Posted 24 April 2021 - 06:40 PM

The high cost of shipping has really curbed my urge to sell anything.  I foresee most ads going to be listed as “buyer pays shipping”....at least on all but very small items like eyepieces.

Edited by Dave Ponder, 25 April 2021 - 02:55 PM.

• DSOGabe likes this

#25 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Hubble

Posted 24 April 2021 - 07:04 PM

Try buying a 30 series graphics card. Some people have more money than sense to keep the scalpers in business. Smh. 

coin miners

• Jaimo!, eros312, StarWolf57 and 1 other like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics