•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Prices up!

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#26 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• topic starter
  • Loc: 39.07°N, 229m AMSL, USA

Posted 24 April 2021 - 11:08 PM

"Priority mail flat rate is the only way I do it anymore"......!!!!!!  100% Agreed Terra!  There's now about 6 or 7 different Sized Flat Rate boxes (including some nice long ones), and they are the best deal anywhere for shipping these days. Now, even if I have the Original Boxes, I refuse to ship large, heavy items, like scopes, mounts, and tripods.  Even if the buyer is going to pay for shipping,  I figure that after getting  slammed for those costs, they're not going to be very happy about the transaction, even if the item is like new!

Priority Mail is your newest friend.....

And don’t forget those padded flat rate envelopes for hard to fit items. (You can out a box in one and still get the same great rate of $8.55.)

#27 Tangent

Tangent

Vostok 1

• Loc: Texas

Posted 24 April 2021 - 11:36 PM

An example of shipping costs; last week I sold a 48" Orion soft case and included shipping in my price of $70. Not wanting to fold it, I put it in a flat 49" long box and took it to FedEx. The price to ship it from Florida to Texas via FedEx Ground was $60, and it couldn't have weighed much more than 5 pounds. USPS wanted $53 for Parcel Post, or whatever they call it now.  I ended up folding it into a square box and sent it Priority Mail for $15. 

That's called "Dimensional Weight", which is a charge for large (volume) or cumbersome (large in one or two dimensions) packages, in which you are paying as if the package was a lot heavier than it is.  It's a quantum leap in pricing above what it would be if it were an inch smaller, but that's how it is structured.  They do something similar on weight, even an ounce over the lower limit (I think it's 50# for UPS) and they basically double the shipping rate. 

• Eric63 likes this

#28 payner

payner

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Bluegrass & SW Appalachian Regions, Kentucky

Posted 25 April 2021 - 01:26 PM

Yes, dimensional rates make sense, whether it is relative light-weight or not, the shipping space it occupies is a lot compared to a square of short rectangular box. That is where the cost is for empty cases when shipped.

#29 kim.davis

kim.davis

Vostok 1

• Loc: Northern California

Posted 26 April 2021 - 11:02 PM

I am sitting here getting filing done today looking at our Fed Ex information tags on every order and I see another reason for price increases.  Domestic shipping is through the roof right now.  Average cost to ship our Voyager Mount that weighs in at 22 pounds, and has minimal insurance due to value, is $31.  Our AT72/60 case that sells for $50 has an average shipping price of $16.  On our products it is a little easier to swallow the shipping cost, but on products from other manufacturers that have an average profit margin in the mid teens it becomes increasingly more difficult to offer free shipping on large boxes.  The amazon model will eventually be the death of telescope retailers as we know them.

That's a serious problem. My rule is to buy stuffs from telescope retailers as much as possible. Likewise, for other stuffs, I try to use local stores instead of amazon even though amazon is cheaper in many cases. If we keep using amazon and no more local retailers, it will be customer's loss eventually. 

• Terra Nova likes this

#30 DSOGabe

DSOGabe

Apollo

• Loc: El Paso, TX

Posted 27 April 2021 - 11:49 AM

Meade has already raised prices on their ACF OTA’s and Maks by about 10%.  Seeing if Celestron will do the same in the near future.

Bill

Money to settle their legal issues, perhaps?

• SandyHouTex likes this

#31 Bill Barlow

Bill Barlow

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Overland Park KS

Posted 27 April 2021 - 01:24 PM

Probably more for increasings costs of materials, shipping, tariffs, labor..

• eros312 likes this

#32 teashea

teashea

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Lincoln, Nebraska, USA

Posted 27 April 2021 - 07:24 PM

Over the last six weeks, I have purchase one telescope from Germany and four from Japan.  Interestingly the shipping charges were no more than in the US.  All the telescopes from Japan were delivered in two days from the date of shipping.  The telescope from Germany took three weeks because it was stuck in Customs.  

The telescope from Germany was UPS / handed off to the USPS in the US.  Two telescopes from Japan came via DHL and two via UPS.

Also, for two of the telescopes from Japan, the duty was 4 percent.  For two others, the duty was zero.  For the telescope from Germany the duty was 2 percent.

(They were all Takahashi telescopes, so all manufactured in Japan).

#33 teashea

teashea

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 27 April 2021 - 07:29 PM

That's a serious problem. My rule is to buy stuffs from telescope retailers as much as possible. Likewise, for other stuffs, I try to use local stores instead of amazon even though amazon is cheaper in many cases. If we keep using amazon and no more local retailers, it will be customer's loss eventually. 

l prefer to purchase from US retailers or US Amazon.  However, because of the recent shortages I have purchased from retailers and suppliers in Japan, China and Germany.  This has included AliExpress, Amazon Japan, Kyoei Osaka, a private individual in Japan and an astronomy store in Berlin.  I have not had a problem with any of the purchases.  They were all very smooth.  The prices from the foreign sources were a little lower than US prices.

#34 RalphMeisterTigerMan

RalphMeisterTigerMan

Surveyor 1

Posted 27 April 2021 - 11:01 PM

I have warned about prices going up, up and away...in many of my posts and threads. So instead of saying, " I told you so! ", I will use the less condescending Sheldon Cooper version. " I informed you thusely, oh how I informed you thusely! ".

Something I have been pondering over some time. Since the prices are going up, will prices go back down after the current global crises or, as history has shown, will the prices stay high once they have reached the highest price possible? Hmmmm....

Clear skies and keep looking up!

RalphMeisterTigerMan

• Terra Nova and ERHAD like this

#35 ERHAD

ERHAD

Viking 1

• Loc: Canary Islands, Spain

Posted 28 April 2021 - 01:48 AM

I have been eyeing some items in a renowned German retailer that shall remain unnamed. The price climb in the last couple of weeks has been astounding, in some cases reaching an overnight price increase between 20% and 30%. As an example, a member of my club was planning on buying a C 9.25,  On Monday it was 1.457€, today it has suddenly risen to 1.717€. I understand the current situation and how the laws of offer and demand operate, but one can’t help but feel like being taken advantage of....

E.

#36 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Hubble

Posted 28 April 2021 - 06:13 AM

Over the last six weeks, I have purchase one telescope from Germany and four from Japan. Interestingly the shipping charges were no more than in the US. .

Slow down!
  • teashea likes this

#37 Hobby Astronomer

Hobby Astronomer

Vanguard

• Loc: Texas

Posted 01 May 2021 - 02:25 PM

Well nice to see people figuring out global market economics.

When a country has a trade deficit over an extended time the economic reconciliation is a cut in the standard of living.

And in time we will have less wealth floating around to buy imported products. And sooner or later those imported products will cost more to buy from where they came from.

#38 JuergenB

JuergenB

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Lilienthal, Germany

Posted 02 May 2021 - 08:23 AM

Different markets, different strategies. The automotive industry is well known for increasing the prices at least once a year by a small amount (at least in Europe). This is a smart way, people are used to that and don't complain if a car price goes up by 1.4 per cent, for example.

In the specialties chemical industry in which I worked until retirement end of December, price increases were often forgotten until it was realized by the management  that the margins had shrunk. Then, prices were increased by let's say 5 or 10 per cent. Every manufacturer of course observes the competition and tries to avoid a price increase if competitors keep their prices constant. In those cases, an initial impetus like we see now when looking at the pandemic is required. Then, typically one company starts with a hefty price increase and others will follow within a short time.

The only consolation for us is that if we sell some of our used astro gear, we can expect to sell it at a slightly higher price as well.

Juergen  

#39 donald41

donald41

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: bartlesville oklahoma

Posted 07 May 2021 - 07:40 AM

then after paying the high price for shipping, you better hope it gets to the buyer in one piece and not damaged the way they handle items. I've had real bad luck with that. 

#40 teashea

teashea

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 07 May 2021 - 08:46 PM

then after paying the high price for shipping, you better hope it gets to the buyer in one piece and not damaged the way they handle items. I've had real bad luck with that. 

One of the reasons I never purchase used equipment.  New telescopes tend to be packed properly --- ie Takahashi triple boxes its telescopes in the US.

• ShaulaB likes this

#41 payner

payner

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Bluegrass & SW Appalachian Regions, Kentucky

Posted 07 May 2021 - 08:54 PM

Many of us retain our OEM shipping boxes and materials.

• Paul Hyndman, Retired Dave, nemo129 and 1 other like this

#42 gjanke

gjanke

Viking 1

Posted 13 May 2021 - 12:06 PM

I went ahead with the order because there really is no comparable “soft sided” case available. Don’t get me wrong, there are a number of soft side options but none that think they are a hard-side case like the Stellarvues. So what a person to do but grin and bear it. Welcome to the new normal!  undecided.gif

I sold a TSA102 bundled up in a C130L box. When I was done packing the box with the scope. Which by the way was 49LX14WX14H and weighed 34lbs. I shipped it from Maryland to Washington state insured for $2700. The cost to ship was $115 and to be insured it cost another $42 for a total of $157. I charged $100 bucks for shipping and ate the rest.

The shipping is the price of doing business in this hobby. Even with all of this deals are still to be had in the used market.

This is just not a cheap hobby to be in...ever. 

• payner and teashea like this

#43 gjanke

gjanke

Viking 1

Posted 13 May 2021 - 12:17 PM

This is all in the art of packing. I have had people want to skimp on the shipping and insure, but the facts are the shipping and insurance is for the seller.  Sellers may pass the cost onto the buyer but if the package shows up damaged its not the buyers responsibility to file the claim; its the sellers.

I never skimp on packing. When you're selling a 1k scope, 75 bucks for shipping is small potatoes in the scheme of things. Now I will say, this is where the first person to the ad is not always the first to get the item. If I have someone one state away and another across the country I will consider the one state before the first to hit the ad who's across the country. The longer its out of the hands of the buyer the greater the opportunity for damage. So distance plays a role in my decision making of who to sell to.

• Terra Nova and teashea like this

#44 pyrasanth

pyrasanth

Aurora

Posted 13 May 2021 - 01:49 PM

I could see the end of free shipping from vendors in the very near future, and I wouldn't blame them. I've already had to pay shipping from a couple of places that had an item that wasn't carried by Astronomics, and wondered how long  until all astro dealers follow that trend. 

An example of shipping costs; last week I sold a 48" Orion soft case and included shipping in my price of $70. Not wanting to fold it, I put it in a flat 49" long box and took it to FedEx. The price to ship it from Florida to Texas via FedEx Ground was $60, and it couldn't have weighed much more than 5 pounds. USPS wanted $53 for Parcel Post, or whatever they call it now.  I ended up folding it into a square box and sent it Priority Mail for $15. 

Pricing is not just about weight but the volume of the item. This is known as volumetric weight- a polystyrene tile is very light but costs more to ship than its equivalent weight in a much smaller box. I guess we get caught every which way when it comes to shipping charges.

• teashea likes this

#45 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 14 May 2021 - 02:00 PM

I never skimp on packing. When you're selling a 1k scope, 75 bucks for shipping is small potatoes in the scheme of things. Now I will say, this is where the first person to the ad is not always the first to get the item. If I have someone one state away and another across the country I will consider the one state before the first to hit the ad who's across the country. The longer its out of the hands of the buyer the greater the opportunity for damage. So distance plays a role in my decision making of who to sell to.

Yes, prices are up on new and used items. I agree it makes no sense to try and skimp on shipping costs and packaging on valuable items. In the used market, I too prefer a local transaction where I can meet the buyer/seller and deliver/receive the goods in person.

• nemo129, gjanke and teashea like this

#46 Star Shooter

Star Shooter

Vostok 1

Posted 14 May 2021 - 08:47 PM

Last fall I sourced a thin wall aluminum tube from the local metal outlet. With the local outlet closed to foot traffic, I needed to get my order shipped from two states away. The material cost was $250 and the shipping cost $1200. Needless to say, I held off on my order. Plan B is to show up at the distribution center this summer with a trailer and a much larger order.

My black friday deal was a $100 binocular discounted to $29. Shipping was $25. I still saved money from the original price. Sometimes, you just have to look at the situation in a particular way to see the good side. 

• teashea likes this

#47 kevinmat

kevinmat

Lift Off

• Loc: Redlands

Posted 16 May 2021 - 09:56 PM

Free shipping is going to disappear over the next few months. Shipping costs have increased 20-30% over the last 6 months and there is no way for retailers to recoup that. I agree with the poster above, it is now cheaper to have something shipped from Japan or Europe than it is to ship within the United States for some items.

COVID has changed a lot of things and international shipping capacity is down while demand is skyrocketing. This is somewhat due to the fact that international haulers are prioritizing shipments, especially to manufacturers here that are desperate for parts and willing to pay a premium.

Lastly, there is unprecedented demand for many luxury items. One large retailer said recently that demand generally over the last month has been greater than any other month on record and they cannot keep up, manufacturers cannot make product quickly enough to supply retailers and many are facing parts shortages which limit their expansion.

I fully expect prices to jump at least 20% across the board in the next 3-4 months plus the shipping charges discussed above.

#48 StarAlert

StarAlert

Surveyor 1

Posted 03 June 2021 - 03:29 PM

I see iOptron raised the price on its tri-pier this week. It was $599 a couple weeks ago, now it’s $649.  
I suspect we’ll see 5%-10% increases from every manufacturer by the end of the year. I’m watching the TAK website to see if there’s any movement in prices once they start getting inventory. 

Edited by StarAlert, 03 June 2021 - 04:11 PM.

#49 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 03 June 2021 - 03:39 PM

I suspect we’ll see 5%-10% increases from every manufacturer by the end of the year. 

I think you are correct - perhaps not every manufacturer, but probably many.

#50 Bill Barlow

Bill Barlow

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Overland Park KS

Posted 03 June 2021 - 03:42 PM

I see that Celestron just raised their prices for their SCT/Edge OTA's.  The C11 was $2470 now it is $2599.  I was looking at this scope but now this price might be a little more than what I want to pay for it.  The 10" Meade ACF OTA is quite a bit cheaper at $1870.

Bill

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics