•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Prices up!

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#76 aa6ww

aa6ww

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Sacramento, Calif.

Posted 20 July 2021 - 04:25 PM

I bought my C6SCT for $399 probably less then 2 years ago. Now the used prices are more then that.

I noticed eyepieces have really gotten expensive also.

I notice lots of advertising in here on used equipment says "pick up only" also.

Fortunately for me, I reduced my stock pile of telescopes over the last two years, but I still need to sell off three dumb mounts.

My 100 deg Explorer Scientific eyepieces have really gone up also. I bought everyone of mine used, when used prices had them at about $200 each. Now used prices are doubled that.

On a more positive note, at least my 401K has doubled in the last 14 months. 

..Ralph

#77 Nippon

Nippon

Aurora

• Loc: Central Florida

Posted 21 July 2021 - 08:53 AM

The whole situation has driven used prices up as well. I saw a long discontinued TV eyepiece that I bought new back in the day selling used for about $50 more than I paid new.

#78 pyrasanth

pyrasanth

Aurora

Posted 26 July 2021 - 05:30 AM

Celestron replaced my five year old RASA V1 for a V2. The V2 now costs nearly £700.00 more than I paid for the V1 five years ago- that's what I call a good dealsmile.gif

Edited by pyrasanth, 26 July 2021 - 05:32 AM.

#79 quilty

quilty

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 26 July 2021 - 06:01 AM

This doesn't apply to telescope stuff only. You need to be a skilled "expert" to calculate an inflation rate of 1.1% as they do in Germany. Half a year before they even caslculated a negative rate.

• teashea likes this

#80 luxo II

luxo II

Skylab

• ****-
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 27 July 2021 - 01:45 AM

What I'm surprised by is the number of "wanted" ads from rather optimistic hopefuls expecting someone to part with a high-end piece of kit, usually something expensive, rare, and long out of production.

Edited by luxo II, 27 July 2021 - 01:45 AM.

• George N and teashea like this

#81 lakeorion

lakeorion

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Lake Orion MI

Posted 27 July 2021 - 09:00 AM

Slightly off topic but computer components are far far worse.  I just built a new rig and had to stomach some serious scalping for the video card and CPU.

Glad I found my save-up-for-a-year-scope and got it in hand in May with no markup.  The next day it showed up in the vendor website as back ordered.

• teashea likes this

#82 Steve C.

Steve C.

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sugar Land, TX

Posted 27 July 2021 - 04:40 PM

I want a time machine so I can go back to 2019 and order a Celestron f6.3 reducer.  I remember when those were $99 - now they're $155.  Lord!

Time machine being unavailable, I ordered it anyway. 

#83 teashea

teashea

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Lincoln, Nebraska, USA

Posted 27 July 2021 - 08:04 PM

What I'm surprised by is the number of "wanted" ads from rather optimistic hopefuls expecting someone to part with a high-end piece of kit, usually something expensive, rare, and long out of production.

That is a very good point.  I have seen a number of these wanted ads ----- It is interesting to see what is wanted in the high end

#84 RajG

RajG

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: NJ

Posted 27 July 2021 - 08:04 PM

On the other hand the prices of the 6 and 8in CC's haven't changed much, and Orion has them in stock. Go figure...

• teashea likes this

#85 Creedence

Creedence

Viking 1

• Loc: Florida

Posted 27 July 2021 - 08:48 PM

I don’t want to introduce thread drift, but I’ve noticed the trend accelerating in a couple unrelated areas that suggest (to me) that we aren’t nearing the light at the end of the tunnel yet- (and bringing it back to SCTs, it suggests there are challenges still to be reckoned with before we see price stabilization- if not price normalization).

I’m seeing (I’ll stop shy of calling it a shortage) reduced (and reducING) inventory across a broad spectrum of goods that extends far beyond the obvious and well-discussed items (vehicles, electronics, commodities). A recent trip to target followed by the grocery store had me doing double-takes at the conspicuous and frankly, odd holes on the shelves. The distinction I’m trying to highlight is that the trend is beginning to touch things that have not had any issues in the months that we’ve experienced the more noteworthy shortages.

Astro-kit lives among these goods in the supply chain, and even if manufacturers’ output catches up to capacity demands, it all still needs to make it to us, and it seems like it is competing with a backlog that (for all of the reasons people have already discussed, and probably a few more) still has momentum in it. I’d love to say we know the problems and bottlenecks and are chipping away at them, but I’m not convinced we’re making meaningful headway yet.

RajG makes an interesting observation that aligns with some other markets as well. For an interesting case study, have a look at Rolex watches right now). I think certain latent demand (Which has been acknowledged throughout this thread) has exacerbated the problem.

Granted, my crystal ball has been out of calibration for some time now, so I’ll stop short of prognosticating, beside to say that I suspect there’s more still to come.

Edited by Creedence, 27 July 2021 - 08:50 PM.

• Old Man and teashea like this

#86 RalphMeisterTigerMan

RalphMeisterTigerMan

Surveyor 1

Posted 04 August 2021 - 07:33 AM

Here's an interesting thought. What would it take for telescope prices to actually come down? A miracle? Zombie apocalypse? Comet or Asteroid impact extinction level event...assuming of course that at least you and some telescope retailers and shipping companies survive. LOL!

How many times in recent history have prices for highly sought-after and very desirable "things" hit very high orbits, even geosynchronis and then returned to low Earth orbit prices? I'm not refuring to consumer electronics and items that get cheaper because of advancement in technology and lower prices because they get easier to manufacture. I cannot thinkof too many.

Clear skies and keep looking up!

RalphMeisterTigerMan

#87 Nippon

Nippon

Aurora

Posted 04 August 2021 - 09:54 AM

I want a time machine so I can go back to 2019 and order a Celestron f6.3 reducer.  I remember when those were $99 - now they're $155.  Lord!

Time machine being unavailable, I ordered it anyway. 

Time machine? 2019 I wouldn't bother. I'd head for the 80s and 90s. Just think Intes scopes at Orion, Celestron SP C102F for $2400. Brandon 94 Etc. How about getting on the AP wait list for your favorite model then just time jump forward to pick it up. All the great scopes that are legendary but now unavailable just there for the pickings.

#88 StarAlert

StarAlert

Surveyor 1

Posted 04 August 2021 - 10:11 AM

Here's an interesting thought. What would it take for telescope prices to actually come down? A miracle? Zombie apocalypse? Comet or Asteroid impact extinction level event...assuming of course that at least you and some telescope retailers and shipping companies survive. LOL!

How many times in recent history have prices for highly sought-after and very desirable "things" hit very high orbits, even geosynchronis and then returned to low Earth orbit prices? I'm not refuring to consumer electronics and items that get cheaper because of advancement in technology and lower prices because they get easier to manufacture. I cannot thinkof too many.

RalphMeisterTigerMan

Housing prices got pretty cheap in 2010. 

#89 Echolight

Echolight

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Texas

Posted 04 August 2021 - 08:39 PM

I just ordered my dream scope from Astronomics. One of them. The biggest little scope. A C5SS. I think they had it listed at the old price. But I’m not sure. I just figured that since it was the scope I always wanted, and I like the black tube better than the old white tube, and it is only 5 inches, I might as well get a brand new one with the Starbright XLT coatings. 

I think what pushed me over the edge, aside from it’s small size and weight, or with such a small size and weight, was they said it has 2.5 times as much light gathering as an 80mm.
But I was surprised to see a 2 year warranty in the specifications. Because I thought it was a lifetime warranty on the spotting scope. They also had 125mm on the title description. But in the full description it says 127mm.

I have no idea when it will get here. I saw other retailers say 5 months. So I should have time to sell some other stuff that I don’t need to pay for it long before it arrives.

I hope I like it as much as I think I will. Cost nearly as much as an 8 inch dob. But a lot easier to tote around. And easier to keep the bugs out.

#90 Creedence

Creedence

Viking 1

• Loc: Florida

Posted 04 August 2021 - 08:57 PM

RalphMeisterTigerMan

It is often said that prices for consumer goods tend to be sticky- in both directions, and that latency (which is actually better interpreted as a slight weakness in correlation to demand as I’ll show below) is because consumer demand is but one influence. As a very general rule, they don’t shoot up at the first sign of increased demand, but they also don’t drop at the first sign of waning demand either.

You’ll usually see the noteworthy (more painful) price increases after manufacturing costs (raw material costs, labor shortages, etc), logistic costs (shipping, warehousing, etc) increase along with demand- it usually takes a few variables to trigger hikes. (These price hikes differ from- and are often in addition to- the normal price bumps that usually occur annually.)

It’s a safe assumption that demand will soften at some point in the future, but unless and until meaningful decreases follow in the Cost of Goods Sold, retail prices will resist meaningful reductions. It may certainly happen at some point, but consumer demand is only a part of the complete breakfast.

To see good example of this (on the downward side of the equation), browse through 20 years worth of Astronomy magazines and note the list prices for Meade or Celestron products. They decreased for a good while (you can come up with a number of theories in why that is- production efficiencies, technological advances driving the electronics costs down- both reductions in CoGS, perhaps demand was on a downward trend all those years, who knows), but that suggests price movements are the result of a complex web of influences.

The real danger (for industry) is when they are unable to lower prices DESPITE a big drop in demand because CoGS reductions haven’t trickled down yet. That’s when you lose companies.

Edited by Creedence, 04 August 2021 - 09:19 PM.

#91 Jack J

Jack J

Sputnik

• Loc: Wisconsin

Posted 13 August 2021 - 10:22 AM

I am sitting here getting filing done today looking at our Fed Ex information tags on every order and I see another reason for price increases.  Domestic shipping is through the roof right now.  Average cost to ship our Voyager Mount that weighs in at 22 pounds, and has minimal insurance due to value, is $31.  Our AT72/60 case that sells for $50 has an average shipping price of $16.  On our products it is a little easier to swallow the shipping cost, but on products from other manufacturers that have an average profit margin in the mid teens it becomes increasingly more difficult to offer free shipping on large boxes.  The amazon model will eventually be the death of telescope retailers as we know them.

I know you people like to ship FedEx and before my scope was shipped I had a lot of respect for them even though I am a retired USPS employee.  However, when they delivered my scope about two weeks ago after waiting over 1 year, I was expecting the package to be delivered when someone was home and a signature was required per FedEx instructions.  When the scope arrived, the driver was staking my packages up against my closed garage door.  I went out to meet him and asked if he would place it in my house.  He complied but NEVER asked me to sign anything.  The driver left and that was it.  I'm sure he would have left my packages outside even if no one was home.  Later, I logged into FedEx and clicked on the "verification of delivery" button and observed someone had placed an X in the box titled signature and printed  the name of another family member below this. I emailed Astronomics and attached this information but never heard a thing.  You people pay extra for a verification signature but that wasn't the case with me.  Very poor customer service so please BEWARE when dealing with FedEx.  It may have been a local issue with my FedEx driver but my guess is this happens frequently and with thefts of packages common in my area, it was disturbing to me.  

Edited by Jack J, 13 August 2021 - 10:26 AM.

#92 carolinaskies

carolinaskies

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Greenville SC

Posted 13 August 2021 - 04:14 PM

I know you people like to ship FedEx and before my scope was shipped I had a lot of respect for them even though I am a retired USPS employee.  However, when they delivered my scope about two weeks ago after waiting over 1 year, I was expecting the package to be delivered when someone was home and a signature was required per FedEx instructions.  When the scope arrived, the driver was staking my packages up against my closed garage door.  I went out to meet him and asked if he would place it in my house.  He complied but NEVER asked me to sign anything.  The driver left and that was it.  I'm sure he would have left my packages outside even if no one was home.  Later, I logged into FedEx and clicked on the "verification of delivery" button and observed someone had placed an X in the box titled signature and printed  the name of another family member below this. I emailed Astronomics and attached this information but never heard a thing.  You people pay extra for a verification signature but that wasn't the case with me.  Very poor customer service so please BEWARE when dealing with FedEx.  It may have been a local issue with my FedEx driver but my guess is this happens frequently and with thefts of packages common in my area, it was disturbing to me.  

This is a driver-deliverer issue, not specific to one company.  Report them to FedEx.  I'm sure FedEx tracks their employee feedback to rate them during reviews.  This driver thought he'd save time on his route by not trying to contact someone in the house and actually commited fraud by checking the box and writing in the name.  It's half-assed work ethic and should come back to bite that driver.   

• CeeKay and teashea like this

#93 RAKing

RAKing

Cosmos

• Loc: West of the D.C. Nebula

Posted 13 August 2021 - 04:38 PM

This has been the norm since we first locked down last year.  Neither UPS or FedEx wait for your signature in my area, especially if they are on their regular routes and know the customer.  It protects both you and the driver from Covid.  And IIRC, I haven't had to sign for any Priority Mail this past year, either.

The only time I have to show my face to the driver is to "sign" for my wife's wine shipments.  They have to see the person is over 21, but they still "sign" for me as they walk back to the truck.  We always have a good laugh about this, because I'll tell him that I just turned 21 and ask him to card me anyway.  lol.gif

Cheers,

Ron

• Castor, StarAlert and teashea like this

#94 StarAlert

StarAlert

Surveyor 1

Posted 13 August 2021 - 05:02 PM

This has been the norm since we first locked down last year.  Neither UPS or FedEx wait for your signature in my area, especially if they are on their regular routes and know the customer.  It protects both you and the driver from Covid.  And IIRC, I haven't had to sign for any Priority Mail this past year, either.

The only time I have to show my face to the driver is to "sign" for my wife's wine shipments.  They have to see the person is over 21, but they still "sign" for me as they walk back to the truck.  We always have a good laugh about this, because I'll tell him that I just turned 21 and ask him to card me anyway.  lol.gif

Cheers,

Ron

+1

• RAKing likes this

#95 Nippon

Nippon

Aurora

Posted 13 August 2021 - 05:28 PM

No kidding. An observing buddy had put notice requests at B&H and others for when they have a ES 24/68. I bought mine a few years ago for $179 if I remember correctly. Then they were at $199 now they are $269. He found a deal on a ES28/62 just before he got the notice that the 24/68 was back in stock. He went with the 28mm.

#96 pyrasanth

pyrasanth

Aurora

Posted 20 August 2021 - 09:47 AM

There is a huge dependency on Chinese imports world wide. When you consider that during the pandemic the price of a shipping container from China has gone up by a factor of 7 it is not surprising that prices have increased substantially and sadly will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.

Big products like mounts will take up much more space than smaller items so it will be more apparent with the larger items as it is harder to amortise the costs if the items are taking up substantial space in a shipping container.

Edited by pyrasanth, 20 August 2021 - 09:49 AM.

#97 teashea

teashea

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Lincoln, Nebraska, USA

Posted 20 August 2021 - 07:32 PM

I always allow delivery without signature.  I have never had any issue with any of 250 deliveries over the last twelve months.  (including lots of Amazon things).  I will admit to having an elaborate video surveillance system.  

#98 RogerLaureys

RogerLaureys

Mariner 2

• Loc: Hasselt,Belgium

Posted 23 August 2021 - 04:31 PM

I had a horrible experience with UPS shipping from the USA to Belgium. It took them 4 months to clear my shipment. Finally I had to pick my shipment up at their distribution centre. Horrible customer service.

Today I received a shipment from the USA after one week with FedEx. Customs clearance and payment of import taxes was efficient and fast. The driver delivered at the door

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics