•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

vixen fluorite 80mm focuser adapter

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 pakman2

pakman2

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 25 April 2021 - 01:45 PM

Recently bought a vixen fluorite 80mm scope but it is set up for 2 inch eyepieces. This has a 2 inch focuser and I would like to find out if the necked down vixen screw in adapter for 1.25 inch eyepieces is available or should I go the 2 inch diagonal with a 1.25 inch adapter, or what other options. Thanks

#2 Littlegreenman

Littlegreenman

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 25 April 2021 - 02:29 PM

The Vixen screw in adapter would likely be hard to find. Check the drawtube diameter of your scope; it may be 60mm, 58mm or somethings else. Specs like that varied over time on at least the 4" ED scopes. Most likely the adapter to fit your scope is no longer made and rarely shows up for sale used.

There is a simple 2" to 1.25" adapter that would solve your issue. It slips into a 2" diagonal just like an eyepiece. The downside is 2" diagonals cost more than a 1.25"

Here is a Tele Vue flat top "version" that only uses a few mm of focus travel.

https://telescopes.n...25-adapter.html

Other companies make 2" to 1.25" adapters, usually for less $$. Most use up more focus travel. If hunt around you might even find one that uses set screws instead of those abominable compression rings.

If you buy used verify you are getting the thumb screws.

• Defenderslideguitar likes this

#3 Russell Smith

Russell Smith

Vanguard

• Loc: 76707

Posted 25 April 2021 - 03:15 PM

Congrats on a fine scope purchase. 

I have the 102mm f9 version. 

It came with a reducer that accepts the 1.25 visual back. 

I hope Vixen still has such a critter available. 

Pretty sure starlight has or can make an adapter for you. 

Also the Badder planitarium T-2 system is modular so you can build a high quality hybrid diaginal. 

Russ

Attached Thumbnails

• rps20210321_121226.jpg

Edited by Russell Smith, 25 April 2021 - 03:18 PM.

• Terra Nova, Bomber Bob, Defenderslideguitar and 1 other like this

#4 photoracer18

photoracer18

Skylab

• Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Posted 27 April 2021 - 02:54 PM

My old Vixen FL-80S was even older. It had the earlier 1.25" focuser that barely had enough diameter to use a super rare 2" adapter that no one had made for 20 years or so. So I spent a close to a year finding out what the tube thread was and turned out it was the same thread as the 6-8" RC thread 90x1mm (however a real Chinese RC focuser would not fit due to the attachment method of a collared ring). So I put an FT2025BCR focuser on it  with the FT adapter and I was happy as a clam.

fl80s-1024.gif

• photiost, Bomber Bob, Defenderslideguitar and 2 others like this

#5 RichA

RichA

Soyuz

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 27 April 2021 - 04:43 PM

Recently bought a vixen fluorite 80mm scope but it is set up for 2 inch eyepieces. This has a 2 inch focuser and I would like to find out if the necked down vixen screw in adapter for 1.25 inch eyepieces is available or should I go the 2 inch diagonal with a 1.25 inch adapter, or what other options. Thanks

The one of the great things about the Vixen/Celestron FL's is weight.  With the cast 1-1/4" focuser, much lighter than current similar apos of the same aperture.

• Defenderslideguitar likes this

#6 photoracer18

photoracer18

Skylab

Posted 28 April 2021 - 02:51 PM

The one of the great things about the Vixen/Celestron FL's is weight.  With the cast 1-1/4" focuser, much lighter than current similar apos of the same aperture.

Yeah but its longer and does not have a retractable dewshield which counts against it.

#7 photoracer18

photoracer18

Skylab

Posted 28 April 2021 - 02:55 PM

Well for one thing none of those Vixen 1.25" adapters for their focusers have compression rings so you will be scratching the barrels of all your eyepieces holding them in if that is important to you. If you leave the focuser as is you can use a 2" to 1.25" adapter with either a compression ring to protect them or maybe even one with a Baader style click-lock that will hold them more securely. I use a 2" diagonal from Stellarvue that has a click-lock type adapter on the end of it.

Edited by photoracer18, 28 April 2021 - 02:57 PM.

#8 bigbangbaby

bigbangbaby

Explorer 1

• Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 02 May 2021 - 08:26 AM

My old Vixen FL-80S was even older. It had the earlier 1.25" focuser that barely had enough diameter to use a super rare 2" adapter that no one had made for 20 years or so. So I spent a close to a year finding out what the tube thread was and turned out it was the same thread as the 6-8" RC thread 90x1mm (however a real Chinese RC focuser would not fit due to the attachment method of a collared ring). So I put an FT2025BCR focuser on it  with the FT adapter and I was happy as a clam.

attachicon.giffl80s-1024.gif

I just picked up one of these scopes with the original focuser and a FT is on the list of upgrades. Do you have the FT adapter part number? I didn't see one listed on their website. Thank you.

Edited by bigbangbaby, 02 May 2021 - 06:23 PM.

#9 photoracer18

photoracer18

Skylab

Posted 03 May 2021 - 05:24 PM

A20-271 for the 2" FT focuser. You will need either an FTF2020 or an FTF2025BCR focuser. The 2025 is perfect while the 2020 might need a small extension with some eyepieces but works for most. If you want to make the focuser rotatable you need one of their TS-222 thumbscrews, the 1.25" one. Its 6-32 so you can use something else, but theirs looks better.

#10 bigbangbaby

bigbangbaby

Explorer 1

Posted 03 May 2021 - 07:06 PM

Thanks, photoracer18! Much appreciated.

#11 Littlegreenman

Littlegreenman

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 03 May 2021 - 11:34 PM

Well for one thing none of those Vixen 1.25" adapters for their focusers have compression rings so you will be scratching the barrels of all your eyepieces holding them in if that is important to you. If you leave the focuser as is you can use a 2" to 1.25" adapter with either a compression ring to protect them or maybe even one with a Baader style click-lock that will hold them more securely. I use a 2" diagonal from Stellarvue that has a click-lock type adapter on the end of it.

True, they were made become compression rings became common. Or invented. But there is an easy solution: find some Teflon or Nylon tipped set screws! Well, they do exist; I've owned some some. Yes, searching far and wide there is a chance you might find some before you stop breathing.

#12 pakman2

pakman2

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 25 May 2021 - 08:50 AM

I tried to find the focused adapter without success but Cm member send was able to design and 3d print an adapter that fits perfectly. Many thanks and this could a resource impossible to find obsolete parts.

#13 bigbangbaby

bigbangbaby

Explorer 1

Posted 25 May 2021 - 11:46 AM

Which adapter are you referring to? The 1.25 in. adapter that goes in the factory focuser is available.

I tried to find the focused adapter without success but Cm member send was able to design and 3d print an adapter that fits perfectly. Many thanks and this could a resource impossible to find obsolete parts.

#14 pakman2

pakman2

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 25 May 2021 - 02:31 PM

This scope has a 2 inch focuser and uses ,2 inch EP. The focused has a drawtube with an ID of 53mm. I have seen an adapter that fit this tube and was necked down as a single and would accept 1.25 in EP

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics