•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Saturn and Jupiter 27/4

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 Quopaz

Quopaz

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: South Australia

Posted 26 April 2021 - 11:10 PM

Had my first Saturn and Jupiter session this morning since last year, like many others have recently. It was also my first time on them with the ASI462mc, last year I used a DSLR on them and only did Mars with the 462. Conditions were OK when I started, but a thick layer of low level fog moved in and ended my session early. I'm at about 350m above sea level, and there has been low level fog the last 3 days in a row. There was also the full moon, but I don't think that was much of a problem. Zero wind. Last year Andrew helped me get the colours right for the DSLR (I'm colour blind) but now with the different camera I've probably got the colours wrong again. Would like to know how I can get the colours right. Anyway, it was fun doing Saturn and Jupiter again. Gives me something to try and improve on over the next few months.
Sat_034119_lapl5_ap145.png
JUP.png
  • Sunspot, Magellanico, Kenny V. and 17 others like this

#2 leoyasu

leoyasu

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Buenos Aires, Argentina

Posted 26 April 2021 - 11:35 PM

Those are actually some very nice images! Jupiter is full of details and colors. Saturn will benefit from RGB Balance in RS6 (to name one color balance option) but it shows good features up to the pole. C ring is nicely seen too. Very good work but wait! Another dob planetary user? smile.gif

#3 Quopaz

Quopaz

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 April 2021 - 12:33 AM

Thanks Leo, yes another planetary dob but not as big as yours though! Skywatcher 10". I did the autobalance in Registax, and a bit more sharpening and denoising, came up better I think. Colour levels on the first Saturn were R 1.10, G 1.00, B 1.15.
Sat 2.png
  • AstroFrankMontana, AstroDan2015 and Kiwi Paul like this

#4 Tulloch

Tulloch

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 27 April 2021 - 01:11 AM

Nice images Nick, yes, the first Saturn was too far on the red side but Jupiter was pretty much bang on.

What Wred and Wblue settings were you using with the 462? I reckon that if you go with Wred=69 and Wblue=86 you would be pretty close. IMHO Registax's Auto-RGB does a pretty good job on Jupiter, but not so good with Saturn and the other planets.

The second image was a better balance, but maybe a little washed out perhaps? I realise it's difficult to get these right when you are colour blind.

Andrew

#5 Quopaz

Quopaz

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 April 2021 - 04:15 AM

Thanks Andrew, yes that's what I was using- Wred=69 and Wblue=86. Those settings worked well for Mars, I don't think I needed any colour adjustment for Mars. But for Jupiter and Saturn the Jupiter looks too green, and Saturn looks too yellow (to me). I can tell they need some sort of adjustment. The autobalance improves them, probably better than I can. For Jupiter I just dropped the red and green to .85 and left blue at 1.00. I'll try and put up some pictures.

#6 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Hubble

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 27 April 2021 - 04:16 AM

A good effort! waytogo.gif Where are you in South Oz..?

#7 Quopaz

Quopaz

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 April 2021 - 04:32 AM

This is the colour of the stacked pictures straight out of AS!3, (sharpened), and the colour after using rgb autobalance in Registax.
Jup green.png
Jup auto bal.png
Sat yellow.png
Sat auto bal.png
  • AstroDan2015 and dcaponeii like this

#8 Quopaz

Quopaz

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 April 2021 - 04:40 AM

Thanks Kokatha man, Adelaide Hills not far from Mt Pleasant.

#9 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Hubble

Posted 27 April 2021 - 05:37 AM

Thanks Kokatha man, Adelaide Hills not far from Mt Pleasant.

Lived on the edge of Mt. Pleasant for quite a few years, going back quite a bit now! ;) We often pass through or near there on our way to a couple of prime planetary imaging spots at Sedan or Palmer.

#10 Tulloch

Tulloch

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 27 April 2021 - 07:46 AM

Thanks Andrew, yes that's what I was using- Wred=69 and Wblue=86. Those settings worked well for Mars, I don't think I needed any colour adjustment for Mars. But for Jupiter and Saturn the Jupiter looks too green, and Saturn looks too yellow (to me). I can tell they need some sort of adjustment. The autobalance improves them, probably better than I can. For Jupiter I just dropped the red and green to .85 and left blue at 1.00. I'll try and put up some pictures.

Thanks Nick, I usually find I need to up my blue channel by 1.1 (which is similar to reducing both red and green channels :)). Others have also found the 465 needs more saturation than other cameras, which might also help.

But these are some pretty good images, hopefully we can all start getting some good seeing once all this cloud clears off shakecane.gif

#11 Quopaz

Quopaz

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 April 2021 - 01:13 AM

Yeah not far from Sedan and Palmer either Kokatha man. Had low fog again this morning, 4 days in a row now. Patchy and not much higher than tree height.
Thanks Andrew, increasing the saturation made a big difference. Hope you get some good conditions soon.
Current version after increasing saturation:
Sat5.png
  • Kenny V., Tulloch, dcaponeii and 1 other like this

#12 Tulloch

Tulloch

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 28 April 2021 - 01:28 AM

Yeah not far from Sedan and Palmer either Kokatha man. Had low fog again this morning, 4 days in a row now. Patchy and not much higher than tree height.
Thanks Andrew, increasing the saturation made a big difference. Hope you get some good conditions soon.
Current version after increasing saturation:
attachicon.gifSat5.png

Woah, baby, that's a whole lotta colour there lol.gif bigshock.gif .

Probably a little too much there, and the red is really high. I took it into Registax and performed an Auto-RGB on it and came up with this. Not perfect, but it looks better (to me anyway) and the saturation is good also. I would also give it a bit of noise reduction, but that's just me smile.gif.

It must be really difficult to judge the colour of these objects without an accurate reference to go by, and even then not being sure of the reference in the first place. It may well be better for you to use the Auto-RGB feature in Registax for both Jupiter and Saturn, it does a pretty good job and matches a lot of what others post here.

Hope this helps,

Andrew

Attached Thumbnails

• Quopaz Saturn ost-349663-0-16139000-1619590399 Registax auto-RGB.png

Edited by Tulloch, 28 April 2021 - 01:32 AM.

• Kenny V., dcaponeii and Kiwi Paul like this

#13 Quopaz

Quopaz

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 April 2021 - 01:49 AM

Haha, yeah thanks, red is one of my hardest colours to see. I agree with the noise, I did have another go using more frames stacked (25% instead of 5000) and came up with this. Hope it's not too red:
sat9.png

#14 pastorgalactico

pastorgalactico

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: SPAIN

Posted 28 April 2021 - 03:44 AM

Hello;
On my ASI120MC I adjust the colors to red at 52 and blue at 99.
Greetings.
  • Quopaz likes this

#15 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Hubble

Posted 28 April 2021 - 04:24 AM

In your situation the best approach by far is to simply rely upon Registax to perform an "RGB Balance."

Not picking on you Andrew, in fact I agree with your last comments: in this situation grin.gif someone with the OP's colour problems needs a simple approach imho. wink.gif

"350m above sea level" sounds like someone living down in the hollows around Tungkillo, but fog throughout those regions is common enough - as is/was frost. We had a couple of acres on Railway Tce in Mt. Pleasant in the 1970's with the Torrens River flowing along the back...it's changed a lot in some ways & not much in others up there. lol.gif When we moved there folks couldn't believe people would commute to Adelaide for work...those notions have certainly changed.

Seeing however is far superior down at Palmer or Sedan...surprisingly so at Palmer where the Eastern edge of the escarpment is right behind the township - this was where Pat & I became the first folks anywhere to capture images of Saturn's North Polar Hexagon way back now. https://www.cloudyni.../#entry5199185   

ZWO got a return for the (then) new ASI120MM with that (& other) image/s we were capturing with what then was quite revolutionary - a cmos planetary camera. wink.gif

The comments I made in my first sentence of that post were probably quite prophetic! lol.gif <"yes, the ASI120MM leaves the Flea3 in its wake more & more imho as I continue to test & image - first with sub 5 arcsec Mars, then Jupiter and now Saturn.">

• Tulloch likes this

#16 Quopaz

Quopaz

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 April 2021 - 05:34 AM

Wow you got some good details on that Saturn! And at Palmer too, amazing.
Keep it simple is probably best for me so I can't get the colours wrong.
If I just do a RGB autobalance in Registax, then increase the saturation in GIMP, it comes up like this:
Sat16.png
  • leoyasu, Lacaille, Tulloch and 2 others like this

#17 Tulloch

Tulloch

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 28 April 2021 - 05:48 AM

Wow you got some good details on that Saturn! And at Palmer too, amazing.
Keep it simple is probably best for me so I can't get the colours wrong.
If I just do a RGB autobalance in Registax, then increase the saturation in GIMP, it comes up like this:
attachicon.gifSat16.png

That's the best one of the lot, both in detail and in colour. Remember this process as a starting point and build on it for your next images (and maybe a bit of NR in GIMP, I used a strength level of 3 in GIMP to give this).

Excellent result.

Attached Thumbnails

• Quopaz post-349663-0-39428200-1619606069 NR-3.png

Edited by Tulloch, 28 April 2021 - 05:49 AM.

• Quopaz likes this

#18 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Hubble

Posted 28 April 2021 - 06:00 AM

Yep, I agree with Andrew on that one. waytogo.gif

Palmer has consistently good seeing when the meteorological conditions are favourable over large sections of the Murray Mallee...like the fog you've been experiencing, there's a bit more of it or thin clouds likely than at Sedan which gives Sedan the edge at times...but unless you travel much further North those 2 places are probably the cream of locations...a little later than the other thread's we had a lovely night at Sedan here...although my processing was much rougher back then! lol.gif https://www.cloudyni...t/#entry5306210   

Unless there's major storms, clouds don't pop out like they did then... ;) 

• Tulloch likes this

#19 Quopaz

Quopaz

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 April 2021 - 04:08 PM

Ah good, thanks. Think I'll stick with that then.
Sedan would be the best I'd think. Or further out towards the river. Just going on average annual rainfall, Sedan is about 12", Palmer 17",
and Mt Pleasant 27". I'm about 19-20".
Had a pretty good session this morning. Dead calm, no fog. Fairly cold and dewy but not frosty. Started with Jupiter and the red spot was
close to the edge. Then I did Saturn for a while, think I got some good footage. Finished up going back to Jupiter and the red spot was gone
but Io and it's shadow were in a good spot, so I got 3 videos of that just as my mirror started to fog up again and the histogram dropped, the sun was coming up anyway
so I packed up. Lots of processing work to do after all that.
  • Tulloch likes this

#20 Tulloch

Tulloch

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 28 April 2021 - 06:18 PM

Yep, I agree with Andrew on that one. waytogo.gif

Twice in a row? Something strange is going on ... lol.gif

Ah good, thanks. Think I'll stick with that then.
Sedan would be the best I'd think. Or further out towards the river. Just going on average annual rainfall, Sedan is about 12", Palmer 17",
and Mt Pleasant 27". I'm about 19-20".
Had a pretty good session this morning. Dead calm, no fog. Fairly cold and dewy but not frosty. Started with Jupiter and the red spot was
close to the edge. Then I did Saturn for a while, think I got some good footage. Finished up going back to Jupiter and the red spot was gone
but Io and it's shadow were in a good spot, so I got 3 videos of that just as my mirror started to fog up again and the histogram dropped, the sun was coming up anyway
so I packed up. Lots of processing work to do after all that.

Looking forward to the results - the 10" and 462 (with I assume a 3x barlow?) are really starting to shine. 

#21 Quopaz

Quopaz

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 April 2021 - 05:31 AM

Yes that's with a 3x barlow, just a cheap one, a better quality one might be an improvement. I had a quick go at processing the Jupiters,
really need some sleep so I can get up early again- the forecast looks good for tomorrow morning so I might as well make the most of it.
Can always have another go at processing these later on. The one with the red spot on the edge:
Jup_023052_lapl5_ap136b.png
  • Tulloch, dcaponeii, Kiwi Paul and 1 other like this

#22 Quopaz

Quopaz

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 April 2021 - 05:33 AM

And the one with Io and it's shadow:
Jup_041724_lapl5_ap136.png
  • dcaponeii, Kiwi Paul and zhiwei.zhou like this

#23 GSBass

GSBass

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: South Carolina

Posted 29 April 2021 - 08:22 AM

In case anyone does some post processing on a tablet, snapseed has a pretty exceptional tool that is kind of a white point finder, you move a dropper icon across the planet and it updates in real time for a neutral color of the pixel your hovering over. It’s very good on Jupiter and Saturn to achieve just the right color balance, obviously you can get same results in other programs with sliders, curves etc but that tool really works well when color is off

• Lacaille and Quopaz like this

#24 Quopaz

Quopaz

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 May 2021 - 03:53 PM

Thanks GSBass, I do processing on a PC- haven't got a tablet. Sounds like a good idea though.
The Saturn from the 30th April:
sat240g.png
  • Jeffrey C., Kenny V., Tulloch and 2 others like this

#25 Tulloch

Tulloch

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 02 May 2021 - 06:20 PM

Thanks GSBass, I do processing on a PC- haven't got a tablet. Sounds like a good idea though.
The Saturn from the 30th April:

Spectacular result, great colours, sharp and not too noisy (worthy of its own post :))!

I reckon you should try using 3x drizzle in AS!3 on this data set, it will require a new set of numbers in Registax (gross approximation to start, try multiplying all the current values by 3) and then reduce it down by 50% to get a larger image.  Just a thought :)

Andrew

• Borodog likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics