•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Edmund 6" reflector. 2nd rate focuser..

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 jayscheuerle

jayscheuerle

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 12 September 2006 - 08:14 AM

I picked up a beauty of a mint-condition Edmund 6" reflector on a motorized GEQ. Had it out last night & the stars were nice and sharp through the RKE EPs.

However, the focuser on the tube that I received is what I'm guessing to be a later-model, cost-saving, unit. Though my manual shows a 1.25" R&P, the supplied one is all plastic, and the focuser tube is moved by a axle with a rubber tube on it. A discount Crayford that has very poor action and reaction, due to rubber's nature of stretching and pulling. I'm going to try Astromart to see if I can hunt down an old Edmunds R&P to replace it with. The rest of the scope is quite nice. - j

Attached Thumbnails

• 1144295-DSCF3697.jpg

#2 jayscheuerle

jayscheuerle

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 12 September 2006 - 08:15 AM

rubber tube inside the focuser.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1144298-DSCF3698.jpg

#3 Eric P

Eric P

Viking 1

Posted 12 September 2006 - 12:00 PM

Hey that's the Astroscan friction focuser. :D

#4 jayscheuerle

jayscheuerle

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 12 September 2006 - 02:26 PM

Yeah, I know. :(

#5 jayscheuerle

jayscheuerle

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 19 September 2006 - 09:01 AM

I had the scope out last night for my 2nd session, the first with any seriousness to it. Seeing was good, but light pollution was typically awful, so all I did was check out binaries.

The good:
1) After taking the time to set the scope up correctly, tracking was impressive, with no apparent motion at over 240x.
2) Stars were colorful and sharp.
3) Added Wilcox ring (single, on front side) made viewing much easier, especially in a tight space.

The bad:
1) In certain positions, the scope would not lock into position well, which I'm assuming to be a balance issue. I may have to scoot my ring back a bit.

The ugly:
1) The focuser. You start to turn the knobs and then it springs forward, shimmying the system which takes a few seconds to calm down. Good focus is a matter of settling on good enough. On top of that, the clasping tube of Edmund's 1.25" focusers makes it difficult to change eyepieces without inducing movement into the scope in general. I've been looking for an Edmund's R&P to replace this one, but now I'm thinking towards something more contemporary with screws to lock the EPs that I can merely style like the Edmund R&P via paint and knobs.

In spite of these complaints, I enjoyed my experience with this scope immensely last night. - j

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics