•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Vintage Celestron 3 pin AC power cords - in stock!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Borodog

Borodog

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 April 2021 - 06:21 PM

I know that these are rare as hen's teeth. Having received my order, I can now confirm that these exist, do ship out, and (at least mine) fit and works. I am not affiliated with this seller.

https://www.ebay.com...id=184785718960

Good luck.

• siriusandthepup likes this

#2 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • Loc: VA

Posted 28 April 2021 - 07:20 PM

There have been aftermarket cords for years.  Just they are not cheap.

• Borodog likes this

#3 Borodog

Borodog

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 April 2021 - 08:32 PM

There have been aftermarket cords for years.  Just they are not cheap.

All I know is that every time I have searched in the past for a 2nd cord (I have 1 cord for 2 scopes) I haven't been able to find one anywhere. And I don't believe I'm the only one. Just the other day I saw someone suggesting someone order a different cord with the 3 pin head and splicing on a normal AC plug.

And $30 to be able to use my 1977 C90 and my 1985 C8 at the same time is cheap.

#4 jgraham

jgraham

ISS

• Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 28 April 2021 - 09:30 PM

Exactly. $25-$30 has been the going rate for quite a while. I picked up a couple of both the 3 and 2 conductor power cords.

• Borodog likes this

#5 RichA

RichA

Gemini

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 28 April 2021 - 10:20 PM

I know that these are rare as hen's teeth. Having received my order, I can now confirm that these exist, do ship out, and (at least mine) fit and works. I am not affiliated with this seller.

https://www.ebay.com...id=184785718960

Good luck.

Not really the "lowest price" for them.  Also, inexplicably, the seller has the same cord for $89 aimed at music device's owners.

https://www.ebay.com...RsAAOSwf4hggfYR

Edited by RichA, 28 April 2021 - 10:22 PM.

#6 Littlegreenman

Littlegreenman

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 28 April 2021 - 11:02 PM

Not really the "lowest price" for them.  Also, inexplicably, the seller has the same cord for $89 aimed at music device's owners.

https://www.ebay.com...RsAAOSwf4hggfYR

It is not inexplicable at all. I'm sure it is covered, possible multiple times, by The Ferengi laws of acquisition.

The same or similar cords were used in Hewlett-Packard electronic test equipment, Wurlitzer organs, some home appliances and other things, starting around the 1960's and 70's.

Note: over the decades several companies made versions of these cords. Some of these cords do not exactly fit some of the things you would expect them to. These grey ones will fit Wurlitzers organs, but some black versions made some years later do not fit. The pins fit, but the rubber housing is just a bit too big (or the Wurlitzer plug is a bit to small). If you own an organ you might be happy to find one that fits, even at this price.

These grey ones look very much like the ones Celestron supplied with early C8's. Some have tiny 'ribs' or grooves running length-wise, and some have a smooth finish.

If you are thinking "Aha! Celestron! Torrance! This eBay seller is in Torrance!" You might fool yourself. The seller used to be in La Canada, about 30 miles away with the Los Angeles Civic Center not exactly in between. He wheels and deals mostly electron parts, bulk and single items, mostly new old stock.

Edited by Littlegreenman, 28 April 2021 - 11:06 PM.

#7 apfever

apfever

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 29 April 2021 - 07:58 AM

The cords are out there, hidden in other uses as LGM stated above.  I haven't needed any for a few years but was getting them at $15 each when I did.  The posted price is NOT 30, it is $35 shipped (shipping cost).

I've also found some with the correct pinning but with the rubber too large. I carved down the rubber end and they worked fine.  $35 is a grab and go convenience to get one but not a great price in general.  I would question using a seller that is hitting a nitch for $89 on the same cord they are selling for $35 to a different market.  May the music world become privy. 

#8 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • Loc: VA

Posted 29 April 2021 - 08:19 AM

https://www.ebay.com...DYAAOSwGOtgTAFl

$22

#9 Littlegreenman

Littlegreenman

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 29 April 2021 - 08:31 AM

With shipping this one comes out to $38 for me.

Speaking of laws, there might be one in various collections of Murphy's Law etc., along the lines of:

When you merely observe an item for sale the price is low and it is readily available. When you need one the price is high and it is hard to find.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics