•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

A patchwork 80-1200

Refractor
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 lylver

lylver

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: France

Posted 30 April 2021 - 03:07 AM

IMAG0268c.jpg

This a "Vixen / Baader / Scopetech / Gerd Neumann / Lacerta" assembly.

I used some phenolic-coton and epoxy for the dew-shield

I re-spaced the objective : +0.33mm tin-coated steel sheet. This was deduced after a interferometry test done by Wellenform (Jorg works with APM-Telescopes) : over-correction that put the spherical aberration null in IR. I made it come to H-alpha, should be top in solar observation.

spacer.jpg

Tested last night : multiples rings in extra-focal and intra-focal on Pollux. Typical but much better in visual (whiter and contrasty) than the picture :

a textbook figure for the objective

Test-Pollux.JPG

This has still a blue ring in town night illumination (typical led 450nm) when defocused (having a nearer lamp in field than what you have in focus) but disapear in focus leaving thin green (one side) -blue (other side) border if you increase heavily magnification.

Short night observation is fantastic, even in town. The Vixen tube is properly baffled, in addition to the dew shield "Black2.0 painted". I worried a bit because of the 2" focuser that let much light entering.

Sky and surrounding in the eyepiece is black like an underground cave when out of focus on Pollux, a bit disorienting. The bright star appeared with is extra-focal rings, concentrate and the dim stars popped up all around. A very enjoying feeling that I never seen in my first apo refractor. Field stop is difficult to see but is sharp like knife (UO 15mm k├Ânig eyepiece)

• eros312, OneGear, Terra Nova and 1 other like this

#2 Paul Sweeney

Paul Sweeney

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Heidelberg, Germany

Posted 02 May 2021 - 12:38 PM

Nice work! Did you have it tested because you noticed something was wrong? I also have a Vixen 80L, and mine seems to be fine just as it is, though I have not had it tested.

#3 lylver

lylver

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: France

Posted 03 May 2021 - 01:19 AM

All parts have been purchased separately. This one is based on a tested Scopetech 80-1200 multicoated objective with now a strehl >0.98.

I choose Vixen 80L parts because of tube excellent baffling that permit the M43 Vixen focuser. I put something similar, a little bigger for visual and large CCD moon/DS imaging. It works, I find it better than my old 80/480 apo triplet, image is more stable and easy to focus.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Refractor

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics