•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

SS5 on iOS 14.5

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 obrazell

obrazell

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: United Kingdom

Posted 30 April 2021 - 10:33 AM

I noticed today that my copy of SkySafari 5 Pro on my tablet which had updated to iOS 14.5 had a message saying that it would not work and the developer needed to do something I have SkySafari Pro 6 on the system and it works fine. I guess time to remove SS5. Anybody else had this issue?

• ResQU likes this

#2 Steve Cox

Steve Cox

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 30 April 2021 - 10:55 AM

I’m still running SSP5 and just updated to iOS 14.5 the other day, and my SSP seems to be workIng fine. 

#3 Garry

Garry

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Belleville, MI

Posted 30 April 2021 - 02:47 PM

I noticed today that my copy of SkySafari 5 Pro on my tablet which had updated to iOS 14.5 had a message saying that it would not work and the developer needed to do something I have SkySafari Pro 6 on the system and it works fine. I guess time to remove SS5. Anybody else had this issue?

At this point after removing it, reboot tablet, & try a reinstall.

Have read of an issue with SS6Pro having the same message after updating to iOS 14.5. they were told to reboot/reinstall. They haven’t replied back so possibly that worked.

I have SS5Pro & SS6Pro on an iPad Pro but have put a pause on the idea of updating to iOS14.5 until it’s confirmed there are not any serious issues with SS6Pro. Now that it’s working fine for you I’m getting closer to do the iOS14.5 update.

There wasn’t the same message about the developer for SS6Pro?

I’m still running SSP5 and just updated to iOS 14.5 the other day, and my SSP seems to be workIng fine. 

Good to hear SS5Pro is “working fine”.

Garry

Edited by Garry, 30 April 2021 - 02:56 PM.

#4 Steve Cox

Steve Cox

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 30 April 2021 - 03:57 PM

Just had a thought, one variable here from both of you is I only have SSP5 installed. I never felt the need to upgrade to SSP6 when I moved back to iOS. Perhaps it's only an issue when both are installed.

#5 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors
  • Loc: Longmont, CO, USA

Posted 30 April 2021 - 06:39 PM

Just had a thought, one variable here from both of you is I only have SSP5 installed. I never felt the need to upgrade to SSP6 when I moved back to iOS. Perhaps it's only an issue when both are installed.

Very unlikely.   iOS apps are “sandboxed” and the fact one is installed should not affect the other.  I don’t know what is going on, but I doubt that is it.

#6 obrazell

obrazell

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 May 2021 - 02:13 AM

it turns out this is not the only app that has this issue. It happens on both the iPad and iPhone so I assume it is not a machine related issue. The actual message is

The developer of this app needs to update it to work with this version of iOS

#7 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 01 May 2021 - 07:48 AM

That message is generally displayed when you try to run an older 32-bit app on a version of iOS that only runs 64-bit apps (like iOS 14).  However, SS5 is definitely 64-bit.  I just downloaded SS5 Pro and it runs fine for me on iOS 14.5.

Are you absolutely sure it is SS5 you are running?  If I recall, SS3 was the last 32-bit version we made ( possibly SS4).

Web searches didn’t turn up any other reason that message would be displayed.  It is also possible it is a bug in the new iOS 14.5.

Edited by btschumy, 01 May 2021 - 07:49 AM.

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#8 obrazell

obrazell

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 May 2021 - 10:07 AM

yes because both of the apps I am currently seeing issues with worked fine on 14.4. I am going to assume a bug with 14.5

#9 Garry

Garry

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 01 May 2021 - 05:08 PM

Did the update on my iPhone7+ from iOS14.4.2 to 14.5 today. The phone only had SS6Pro v6.8.30 on it w/o SS5Pro.

Backed up phone & updated, all went smoothly. Started up SS6Pro w/o “The developer of this app needs to update it to work with this version of iOS” warning. 

Next decided to download SS5Pro as a test case. It downloaded and installed w/o any problems,  SS5Pro v5.4.1 starts up normally w/o warning.

Now I noticed that SS6Pro when starting up was missing the usual SS6Pro splash screen. Instead the screen was blank for about 3sec. So deleted the app, hard reboot, & reinstalled SS6Pro v6.8.3.0. Now the splash screen is back and all is starting up & running normally. Also, thanks to LiveSky, all my 153 Observing Lists were reinstalled.

My iPadPro I’ll tackle updating another day😁.

Garry

#10 ResQU

ResQU

Explorer 1

• Loc: California

Posted 06 May 2021 - 02:15 PM

I contacted Simulation Curriculum (developer) and was instructed to delete the app (SS 5 pro) and re-install from the App Store/ Purchased tab.  This worked but I lost all previous settings and scope information.  It’s like starting the app fresh….wish it was handled better.  If I didn’t know better, I’d think they were trying a different approach to get people to buy the newer version.  I’ve been using SkySafari since 2012 and I really like the app, I hope this isn’t a sign that Simulation Curriculum is changing focus.

#11 Garry

Garry

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 06 May 2021 - 04:51 PM

Hi ResQU,

There is an easy backup plan built into SS5Pro that can be used to prevent loss of data.

To prevent this from happening ever again have ICloud Drive enabled in iOS.

In SS5Pro: Settings>Storage>iCloud Drive=Select.

Confirm in iOS iCloud settings that SS5Pro app is switched on.

Now all your equipment, locations, history, and observation lists will be auto saved / backed up.

All these saved settings will be auto reinstalled, for a fresh reinstall of SS5Pro, when iCloud Drive is again Selected in Storage.

Clear Skies,

Garry

• ResQU likes this

#12 mark8888

mark8888

Vanguard

Posted 25 May 2021 - 09:52 AM

Hi all,

I've run into this same problem.  I'm getting the "The developer of this app needs to update it to work with this version of iOS" message.

I understand from the above comments that I can re-install SS5, but then I will lose my settings and observing list as it is a fresh install.  (I don't know, but I don't think the data was being auto-saved into the cloud.)

Specifically, I don't want to lose my observing list.  Is there any possible way it (and the settings if possible) can be recovered?

The only thing I can think of is rolling back the entire ipad a couple of months, it seems like that's possible.  But complicated, and I'd be worried to lose photos and whatever else has happening on the ipad in the last couple of months.  And I'm also not sure it would work.

Any advice?  

Thanks!!

#13 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 25 May 2021 - 10:20 AM

Apple released 14.6 yesterday.  It is a long shot, but I'd update to see if the issue goes away.

#14 mark8888

mark8888

Vanguard

Posted 25 May 2021 - 11:16 AM

Apple released 14.6 yesterday.  It is a long shot, but I'd update to see if the issue goes away.

Hi, thanks for the suggestion.  I tried it, it didn't work.  Are there any other possibilities?  Basically I just want to find a way to retrieve my observing list from SS5.  Is it possible that the app might be updated so it can work with the new iOS?  Or... any other suggestions?  Thank you!!

#15 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 25 May 2021 - 11:22 AM

For most people, the app does work with iOS 14.  It certainly works for me.  This appears to be a bug in Apple's software that is checking for compatibility.  I have made SimCur aware of this thread and hopefully they will chime in.

You might also contact Apple about this to see if they know why this is happening.  It could be some interaction with some other iOS settings.

In theory, your data should be backed up to Live Sky and restored if you delete and reinstall the app.  I will defer to SimCur about whether there are times when this doesn't work.

Bill

• mark8888 likes this

#16 Garry

Garry

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 25 May 2021 - 05:26 PM

Hi mark8888,

Does your device have iCloud Drive enabled? If yes, then check in its iOS iCloud settings that SS5Pro app has been enabled for cloud storage. If this was not enabled then there is no data backup available for a reinstall of SS5Pro to have all its data restored from the cloud. However, SS5Pro does default to local storage of its data on your iOS device which leads to the following workaround:

Go to your iOS devices Settings>General>iPad Storage>SkySafariPro>

>Offload App
0688A40A-BEBA-402A-AF2F-A681FEE6CC5C.jpeg

This will keep all your data to put back when you reinstall. There is a SkySafari icon left where your app was on your screen with a little download cloud at its bottom left corner. Tap this icon to reinstall.

The app is almost 2GB so it takes a bit to load.

Note: I tried this with my SkySafari5Pro as a test and it worked. Was not experiencing the warning from the app as you are. All Data was in place afterwards.

Garry

Edited by Garry, 25 May 2021 - 11:46 PM.

• mark8888 and Warmvet like this

#17 mark8888

mark8888

Vanguard

Posted 26 May 2021 - 03:55 AM

Hi mark8888,

Does your device have iCloud Drive enabled? If yes, then check in its iOS iCloud settings that SS5Pro app has been enabled for cloud storage. If this was not enabled then there is no data backup available for a reinstall of SS5Pro to have all its data restored from the cloud. However, SS5Pro does default to local storage of its data on your iOS device which leads to the following workaround:

Go to your iOS devices Settings>General>iPad Storage>SkySafariPro>

>Offload App
attachicon.gif0688A40A-BEBA-402A-AF2F-A681FEE6CC5C.jpeg

This will keep all your data to put back when you reinstall. There is a SkySafari icon left where your app was on your screen with a little download cloud at its bottom left corner. Tap this icon to reinstall.

The app is almost 2GB so it takes a bit to load.

Note: I tried this with my SkySafari5Pro as a test and it worked. Was not experiencing the warning from the app as you are. All Data was in place afterwards.

Garry

Thank you Bill and Garry for your help!

The solution above was brilliant.  It worked perfectly.

I realized something after the app re-installed:  in fact, it's SS4 Pro, not SS5.  I wonder if the others getting the same message were actually using SS4, like me?  That might explain why some are getting the message with the recent ios update, and some are not.  Anyway, from what I can tell, SS4 does not upload data to iCloud, so that would explain why it wasn't enabled!  Seems that it can't be.  (If that's wrong, I'd appeciate a correction on that.  Anyway I searched and can't find a way to do it.)

When I first noticed the problem I immediately bought SS6 Pro, hoping it would have the data, but of course it didn't.  Now that I have SS4 working perfectly I'm not sure if I should stay with it, as it works perfectly for me, and try to refund SS6, or just try to migrate over to SS6.  The fact that SS6 stores the data in the cloud is obviously nice... so I have a follow-up question.  Is there any relatively easy way for me to migrate my SS4 observing list, and also hopefully settings, to SS6? I did some research on my own with this, and I found a recommendation to use iTunes.  I hate iTunes and am terrible with it.  I actually tried to use iTunes to do it, and it was a disaster.... couldn't find any apps at all, and then accidentally deleted the view of the ipad entirely, lol.  I just can't use it.  Is there some kind of easy or easyish workaround so I can import my list and settings from SS4 Pro to SS6 Pro?  Without having to deal with iTunes?  If so I'd try that.

Thanks again for the amazing tip, I'm so glad to have my observing list back.  Where I live there is a ton of light pollution and the few dozen deep space objects I've been able to see are pretty hard-won, and I'm glad to still have them so I can seek them out again.

Edit - I was able to attach my SS4 observing list to an email, and then download the list to Safari in my ipad.  It's a "skylist".  In SS6, I found "Observing Lists", but I can't seem to find a way to just import the skylist from my safari downloads.  It says "import from online repository".  So do I need to upload the skylist from SS4 to an "online repository" somehow?  Or is there a way I can just make SS6 find and import it on the ipad, as its already in my safari downloads?  

Edited by mark8888, 26 May 2021 - 04:36 AM.

• Warmvet likes this

#18 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 26 May 2021 - 07:39 AM

Mark,

Glad you got the app running again.  As I said previously, this must be an Apple bug since reinstalling it allows the app to run again.  If I recall correctly, we started making 64-bit builds of the app sometime in the middle of SS3's life.  SS4 was certainly a 64-bit app.

As far as transferring your observing lists, there are multiple possibilities.  Are you running the latest macOS?  If so, when you have your iOS device plugged into the Mac, you should see it in the Mac's Finder window (in the sidebar).  If you click it, the main part of the Finder window will show you what is in the device.  If you click the Files tab it should show you all the files stored on the device.  Find SkySafari 4 Pro and double click the icon.  This should show all the files stored for the app.

Among the SS4 files, you should see a bunch of .skylist files.  These are your observing lists.  You should be able to drag these to the iCloud Storage (iCloud should also show up in the Finder's sidebar).  If you can get them all moved to iCloud, then you can access them from the iOS device.

Going to the iOS device, open the Files app.  Select iCloud Drive and you should see the .skylist files you placed there.  You now need to open these files in SS6 and it will import the observing list and store it in Live Sky.  I ran through this to make sure it worked for you and if I recall when double tapping the file in the Files app, you were presented with a screen and you had to tap More... to specify you wanted to open it in SS6.  Unfortunately I can't recreate tis now since the first time I did it, it created the association between SS6 and the .skylist file.  You might have to experiment to get SS6 to open the file.

After that you should find your observing lists in SS6 by tapping the Observe button in the toolbar and then choosing "Observing Lists".

Sorry this is a bit complicated.  We did have easy migration paths from SS4 -> SS5 -> SS6.  Since you are skipping the SS5 version, this makes it more complicated.

Bill

#19 mark8888

mark8888

Vanguard

Posted 27 May 2021 - 02:04 AM

Mark,

Glad you got the app running again.  As I said previously, this must be an Apple bug since reinstalling it allows the app to run again.  If I recall correctly, we started making 64-bit builds of the app sometime in the middle of SS3's life.  SS4 was certainly a 64-bit app.

As far as transferring your observing lists, there are multiple possibilities.  Are you running the latest macOS?  If so, when you have your iOS device plugged into the Mac, you should see it in the Mac's Finder window (in the sidebar).  If you click it, the main part of the Finder window will show you what is in the device.  If you click the Files tab it should show you all the files stored on the device.  Find SkySafari 4 Pro and double click the icon.  This should show all the files stored for the app.

Among the SS4 files, you should see a bunch of .skylist files.  These are your observing lists.  You should be able to drag these to the iCloud Storage (iCloud should also show up in the Finder's sidebar).  If you can get them all moved to iCloud, then you can access them from the iOS device.

Going to the iOS device, open the Files app.  Select iCloud Drive and you should see the .skylist files you placed there.  You now need to open these files in SS6 and it will import the observing list and store it in Live Sky.  I ran through this to make sure it worked for you and if I recall when double tapping the file in the Files app, you were presented with a screen and you had to tap More... to specify you wanted to open it in SS6.  Unfortunately I can't recreate tis now since the first time I did it, it created the association between SS6 and the .skylist file.  You might have to experiment to get SS6 to open the file.

After that you should find your observing lists in SS6 by tapping the Observe button in the toolbar and then choosing "Observing Lists".

Sorry this is a bit complicated.  We did have easy migration paths from SS4 -> SS5 -> SS6.  Since you are skipping the SS5 version, this makes it more complicated.

Bill

Thank you for this. I don't have an Apple computer, but I was able to move the .skylist file into the Files app on the ipad, move that into icloud, and then get it to open and save in SS6.  However, it contains no objects!  So, the name is sucessfully transferred, but the same Observing List which has 97 saved objects in SS4 shows "0 objects" in SS6.  Any way I can fix this?

I also saved the SkySafari settings file from SS4 in the Files app on the ipad, and also saved it in iCloud, but I was unable to install it in SS6.  Does the settings file contain info about the setup for my Nexus?  Like encoder values and whatever else I need to enter for that, if anything.  I set it up years ago and it works well.  If so, I'd like to try to work this out. If not, if it's just location info, then it doesn't matter, thats easy enough to enter.

Thanks!  In truth I'm just happy that I didnt lose the skylist information so all of this is gravy. If and when I use SS6 or a later program I can always just create a new list and copy the objects info. into it one by one, not a big deal.

Edited by mark8888, 27 May 2021 - 10:54 AM.

#20 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 27 May 2021 - 09:11 AM

Mark,

I can confirm that there seems to be something broken with SS6 importing observing lists.  The imported lists contains no objets.  I will send an email to SimCur making sure they are aware of it.

Bill

#21 mark8888

mark8888

Vanguard

Posted 27 May 2021 - 10:52 AM

Mark,

I can confirm that there seems to be something broken with SS6 importing observing lists.  The imported lists contains no objets.  I will send an email to SimCur making sure they are aware of it.

Bill

Oh wow.  OK, at least it isn't something I'm doing wrong!!  Thanks for letting me know.  If you happen to get a reply from SimCur saying that the issue has been resolved, if you could post that here I'd appreciate it.

#22 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 01 June 2021 - 11:02 PM

I worked with SimCur a bit and we got the problem of importing observing lists fixed.  Apple made a change where apps could no longer read files outside their “sandbox” without jumping through a few extra hoops. 

Not sure when the fix will be released, but hopefully in the next several weeks.

• Jon Isaacs and mark8888 like this

#23 mark8888

mark8888

Vanguard

Posted 02 June 2021 - 04:16 AM

I worked with SimCur a bit and we got the problem of importing observing lists fixed.  Apple made a change where apps could no longer read files outside their “sandbox” without jumping through a few extra hoops. 

Not sure when the fix will be released, but hopefully in the next several weeks.

Thank you, that's great to hear.  Looking forward to trying out SS6 with my Nexus after it's released.

Edited by mark8888, 02 June 2021 - 04:17 AM.

#24 Warmvet

Warmvet

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Hawaii

Posted 12 June 2021 - 12:47 AM

Very helpful thread, thank you.

I was running SS4 pro and SS6 pro on my iPad that recently updated to 14.6. As Mark8888 reported I can no longer open the SS4 app where all my observing list and observations are recorded. I dont have icloud drive but if I was to upgrade and enable it now could I then offload the app and then reinstall it to have my information back again? Or would I need to delete the app and reinstall it? And if I deleted it how do I get the cloud information back into the app?

I am hooked on SS4 because I can email my lists with the observations I have recorded when I complete a list. I cant do this with SS6 so only use that infrequently. Thanks for any help

Cindy

Edited by Warmvet, 12 June 2021 - 01:37 AM.

#25 Warmvet

Warmvet

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Hawaii

Posted 12 June 2021 - 12:53 AM

Ok I just offloaded the SS4Pro app and then reloaded it. It worked without any issues! Thank for the suggestion, I am thrilled to have all my info back again and able to use version 4 again.

Cindy

Edited by Warmvet, 12 June 2021 - 01:48 AM.

• Garry likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics