•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Craigslist,eBay and other vintage/classic telescope ads

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
720 replies to this topic

#126 AstroKerr

AstroKerr

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Page, AZ 36°54'45"N 111°27'39"W 1327.7AMSL

Posted 07 May 2021 - 02:53 PM

it really is not a bad deal for a complete 4" alt az  Unitron

Yes - didn't think you'd post anything Uni not worth looking at, with seasoned caveats when necessary - you are quite handy to have around, Sir.

Edited by AstroKerr, 07 May 2021 - 02:56 PM.

#127 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • Loc: VA

Posted 07 May 2021 - 03:08 PM

Yes - didn't think you'd post anything Uni not worth looking at, with seasoned caveats when necessary - you are quite handy to have around, Sir.

I do my best to help out when I can.   All you got to do is ask and I'll be there.

#128 Eric P

Eric P

Viking 1

Posted 07 May 2021 - 03:33 PM

JSO 5” SCT in the classifieds.  Mine was optically superb.

https://www.cloudyni...ial-optics-sct/

#129 ccwemyss

ccwemyss

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 07 May 2021 - 03:51 PM

We sold the 5" JSOs in the shop. They were a cut above the C5 optically and mechanically. My boss loved them because they were the same yellow color as the store's sign and business cards, so people thought they were our brand.

If you read all of the fine print on the Unitron 150, it's almost $2000. Seems a bit high to me. Dionigi's 152 went for $1600, and it was very complete, with all the cases, and in beautiful condition. (I still have regrets that I didn't buy it from him at the same time that I bought his 10TE-5.)

Chip W. 

#130 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors

Posted 07 May 2021 - 05:15 PM

We sold the 5" JSOs in the shop. They were a cut above the C5 optically and mechanically. My boss loved them because they were the same yellow color as the store's sign and business cards, so people thought they were our brand.

If you read all of the fine print on the Unitron 150, it's almost $2000. Seems a bit high to me. Dionigi's 152 went for $1600, and it was very complete, with all the cases, and in beautiful condition. (I still have regrets that I didn't buy it from him at the same time that I bought his 10TE-5.)

Chip W. 

some are priced reasonably and some are priced very low.   a 152 for $1600 was the bargain of the year and you should have bought it.   You might never see that price again for a 152.  I have sold just the mount and tripod for more.  

#131 SandyHouTex

SandyHouTex

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Houston, Texas, USA

Posted 07 May 2021 - 05:49 PM

it really is not a bad deal for a complete 4" alt az  Unitron

As I’ve learned from reading here, it all depends on the optics.  There was an Edmund 4 inch recently, with the box for $400.  What makes a likely mediocre Unitron worth 5X as much?

#132 Piaget

Piaget

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Eastern Missouri

Posted 07 May 2021 - 06:00 PM

Tasco 60mm 500x refractor , judging by the looks of the mount I think it is Royal Astro ... https://www.shopgood.../Item/121337995

#133 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 07 May 2021 - 06:02 PM

As I’ve learned from reading here, it all depends on the optics.  There was an Edmund 4 inch recently, with the box for $400.  What makes a likely mediocre Unitron worth 5X as much?

The looks make is worth 40% more alone if the paint is in good shape.

#134 Garyth64

Garyth64

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: SE Michigan

Posted 07 May 2021 - 06:28 PM

Tasco 60mm 500x refractor , judging by the looks of the mount I think it is Royal Astro ... https://www.shopgood.../Item/121337995

Yep, it is.  A Tasco 7TE-5.

#135 Piaget

Piaget

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 07 May 2021 - 07:17 PM

Gary , Thanks for the affirmation ...

#136 GoodAsh

GoodAsh

Viking 1

• Loc: New Jersey

Posted 07 May 2021 - 07:18 PM

JSO 5” SCT in the classifieds. Mine was optically superb.

https://www.cloudyni...ial-optics-sct/

I can’t say if this particular specimen is “superb”, but it displays beautiful images of the planets and brighter dso’s. They really are beautiful, I just need more aperture for deep sky.

Al

#137 Piaget

Piaget

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 07 May 2021 - 07:21 PM

When I posted the link for this scope here it was $28 , 10 mimutes after I posted here it is now $121. Posts here definitely have their effect ...

Yep, it is.  A Tasco 7TE-5.

#138 cavecollector

cavecollector

Vostok 1

Posted 07 May 2021 - 07:32 PM

I saw that. Just as I was marvelling at the nice condition and pondering placing a bid,  the price jumped way up. I think it's worth it, looks very nice. Oh well.

When I posted the link for this scope here it was $28 , 10 mimutes after I posted here it is now $121. Posts here definitely have their effect ...

#139 Kasmos

Kasmos

Soyuz

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 07 May 2021 - 07:38 PM

Gary , Thanks for the affirmation ...

I believe only the 7TE-5 have 500x on the box.

Edited by Kasmos, 07 May 2021 - 07:39 PM.

#140 cavecollector

cavecollector

Vostok 1

Posted 07 May 2021 - 07:52 PM

BTW, the large lots of binoculars from SGW are those that have been returned, are in such bad shape no one bid on them when repeatedly listed previously, or are in such crappy condition  they never bothered to list them in the first place. They're returns/rejects so bid accordingly for parts, optics, or to repair.

I learned this the hard way after talking with SGW about a large lot of what looked like nice binoculars I purchased and turned out to be a disaster. They told me the large lots are pretty much just for people looking for parts. Out of the lot of 15 binoculars I received, every single one had major problems and none of them were even close to being in functional condition. Some were even missing eyepieces and objective lenses. There was absolutely no info in the description,  no warnings or head''s up about the missing items, and they very cleverly hid the problems in the pictures by shooting from angles/directions to avoid showing the obvious problems/missing parts.

I am going to pull the usable optics out for eyepiece and finderscope projects and may use a few to learn how to repair, restore, and collimate binoculars. 

Just wanted to pass this along. When it comes to buying from SGW, assume nothing, ask very direct, detailed questions, ask for more pictures so you can see what you're really getting, and make sure you keep the messages describing  the condition. SGW does good things but it's also a racket so use caution. Lots of cool stuff and sometimes even good deals. It''s a great place to look for treasures, just be really careful.

#141 Russell Smith

Russell Smith

Vanguard

• Loc: 76707

Posted 07 May 2021 - 08:38 PM

BTW, the large lots of binoculars from SGW are those that have been returned, are in such bad shape no one bid on them when repeatedly listed previously, or are in such crappy condition  they never bothered to list them in the first place. They're returns/rejects so bid accordingly for parts, optics, or to repair.

I learned this the hard way after talking with SGW about a large lot of what looked like nice binoculars I purchased and turned out to be a disaster. They told me the large lots are pretty much just for people looking for parts. Out of the lot of 15 binoculars I received, every single one had major problems and none of them were even close to being in functional condition. Some were even missing eyepieces and objective lenses. There was absolutely no info in the description,  no warnings or head''s up about the missing items, and they very cleverly hid the problems in the pictures by shooting from angles/directions to avoid showing the obvious problems/missing parts.

I am going to pull the usable optics out for eyepiece and finderscope projects and may use a few to learn how to repair, restore, and collimate binoculars. 

Just wanted to pass this along. When it comes to buying from SGW, assume nothing, ask very direct, detailed questions, ask for more pictures so you can see what you're really getting, and make sure you keep the messages describing  the condition. SGW does good things but it's also a racket so use caution. Lots of cool stuff and sometimes even good deals. It''s a great place to look for treasures, just be really careful.

Send all that unwanted stuff to Red Henry.

IMHO

#142 Garyth64

Garyth64

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: SE Michigan

Posted 07 May 2021 - 08:50 PM

I believe only the 7TE-5 have 500x on the box.

Yep, it's identical to the box that I have.

#143 harbinjer

harbinjer

Viking 1

• Loc: Southeastern Minnesota

Posted 07 May 2021 - 10:08 PM

Good to know. I did ask a question about an item, and after winning the bid, they told me it did have a crack, and offered to cancel my bid(which I accepted as it was too high for a broken binocular). 

I will say though, that I have gotten a few SUPERB binoculars for there. I got a B&L Discoverer that has a very fine focuser and optics that easily rival my Fujinon in sharpness, essentially "new old stock" by the shape it was in. And long eye relief to boot. 

But I'd guess 20% are great, 60% are good with minor or moderate faults, and 20% have major issues. But if you ask questions, sometimes you get really helpful responses. 

#144 cavecollector

cavecollector

Vostok 1

Posted 07 May 2021 - 10:44 PM

I agree, they tend to be really good about answering questions and providing more pictures, the trick is to ask the right questions.  

I have also picked up some remarkable optics from SGW. Sometimes  you get lucky and sometimes you don't. I just really want to encourage people to look carefully, don't assume something is okay without probing further, and to always ask about the condition of the glass first.

There was one item I wanted but when I inquired further, they responded to explain it was badly hazed over due to "things growing on the glass inside". It turned out to be full of fungus growing all over everything.  They provided pictures and we're very honest about it. The outside looked immaculate.  Turns out, they had scrubbed down everything on  the outside with Lysol wipes.

Probably one of the most important things to ask about is the condition of the glass, is it clear or hazy, and do they see anything which might be fungus (and describe what this looks like so they know what to look for).

Many of their donations have been sitting in a basement or a garage for ages and I am finding fungal growth isn't that uncommon. 

It's a crap shoot but  you can greatly increase your odds by being proactive about asking questions.

#145 AstroKerr

AstroKerr

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Page, AZ 36°54'45"N 111°27'39"W 1327.7AMSL

Posted 07 May 2021 - 11:56 PM

Never fungus or mold once from SGW - some shipping damage now and again, the odd webbing, but never fungi-mold, green slime or Andromeda strains in mumble acquisitions...

Pix are Up!!  -=4” F15 UNITRON OTA PIX=-  doesn't look bad to my still overly dialated eyes...

Edited by AstroKerr, 08 May 2021 - 12:37 AM.

#146 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors

Posted 08 May 2021 - 07:16 AM

Don't go there.  They do not like it here when you say the posts in this thread affects pricing of scopes. 

#147 Senex Bibax

Senex Bibax

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ottawa, ON

Posted 08 May 2021 - 07:55 AM

Here's one you don't see every day. A Rodenstein (Towa?) Model III 60x700 with alt-az mount for $25.00 CAD in Montreal. Seller says it is missing some parts and is non-functional (I'm guessing eyepieces as none are shown), and suggests it would make a nice decoration. Heaven forbid it should end up as a lamp.

https://www.kijiji.c...cope/1565328337

#148 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors

Posted 08 May 2021 - 09:26 AM

After more inspection I'm now 100% sure. The patten and use of capstan bolts on the tube clamp to the mount is another clue.

Then I found this photo from a Mogey catalog with the same tripod legs.

attachicon.gif2 Mogeys.jpeg

The one on the right.

It's a bad photo but the lighting and shadows indicate the way the legs are open at the top and  the lower portion is filled but recessed.

That scope on Facebook is a Mogey.  I agree with you.  A shame it is a 5 hour drive.  

#149 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: 39.07°N, 229m AMSL, USA

Posted 08 May 2021 - 09:29 AM

That scope on Facebook is a Mogey.  I agree with you.  A shame it is a 5 hour drive.  

That and a real time investment for a proper restore.

#150 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors

Posted 08 May 2021 - 09:48 AM

That and a real time investment for a proper restore.

would be a wonderful scope to restore.   Did many people paint those old scopes like that.  I bet the OTA is brass.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics