•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Cosmic Challenge: Markarian's Chain

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 PhilH

PhilH

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Long Island, NY

Posted 01 May 2021 - 05:51 AM

Aim your telescope anywhere in the large, seemingly empty gap between the stars Denebola [Beta (β) Leonis] and Vindemiatrix [Epsilon (ε) Virginis] and, given sharp eyes and a dark sky, you are bound to see one or more faint splotches of light somewhere in the eyepiece's field of view. You've entered the Coma-Virgo Realm of Galaxies, a collection of upwards

Click here to view the article
  • Dave Mitsky, George N, okiestarman56 and 1 other like this

#2 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth

Posted 01 May 2021 - 12:51 PM

I had a great view of Markarian's Chain years ago at Cherry Springs State Park through a large Dob at relatively low magnification.  There were galaxies aplenty. wink.gif

• PhilH and George N like this

#3 stevel3o7

stevel3o7

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Hollister CA

Posted 02 May 2021 - 05:34 AM

I will never forget, almost 20 years ago, scanning the galaxy region between Leo and Virgo with a Discover 12.5" Dob (having seen a reference to area in Dickerson's Sky Watch) and was amazed as one galaxy after another wandered through the wide angle eyepiece (a 40mm I believe.)
Now I have my hands on a new-to-me C8 with Hyperstar, and a ZW0 ASI2600MC Pro CMOS cooled camera.  This is going to be my first target with that setup!  I verified the image region and image scale with Stellarium.
What a great time to be an astronomer!  

Edited by stevel3o7, 02 May 2021 - 05:34 AM.

#4 RyanSem

RyanSem

Apollo

• Loc: Lancaster, PA

Posted 02 May 2021 - 01:28 PM

Had a great view of this from Flagstaff, AZ a few nights ago. More galaxies popped out in that region than I've been able to see before!

#5 Travelmonkey

Travelmonkey

Sputnik

• Loc: Maui , HI

Posted Yesterday, 11:08 AM

Aloha

is this a visual thing or are you asking for sketches and pictures ?

AA

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics