•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Want a Visual Back for a C90? Can’t Find One? I Did and so Can You!

Eyepieces Maksutov Celestron Accessories Classic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Vitez

Vitez

Sputnik

• topic starter
  • Loc: Rancho Palos Verdes, CA

Posted 02 May 2021 - 07:15 PM

I’m sharing my experience for anyone who has a C90 and is frustrated because, like me, they can’t find visual back that fits.

However, I just received a visual back that fits my Vintage Orange Celestron C90 (focuser ring type) perfectly!

I’ve been looking for one for some time now so that I can use my quality 1¼” eyepieces and diagonals. Apparently, although there is a 34.6mm (often referred to as 35mm) thread on the back of the C90 the common attachment method is the ~0.965” (slightly larger) opening on the mirror cell back (with knurled thumb screw) which circumvents the use of the threads for attachments. The threads were probably intended for camera attachment with T-Adapter. I purchased a couple 0.965” Antares Plössls for better viewing but wanted more options (BTQ they're very nice eyepieces).

Doing exhaustive searches for a C90 visual back I did find an old CN thread on this subject but it did not provide a viable solution. Some even speculated that such a beast never existed in the first place.

I finally found the EXVB Visual Back for EXT 90/105/125 & C90 Telescope Models online at Telescope Adapters. This works perfectly for my C90 and gives me the solution for which I was searching.

My only “complaint” is that at $38.95 it seems a bit pricey for what it is (small short empty aluminum barrel threaded at one end with a knurled thumb screw at the other end). The upside is that shipping is included in the price and it is a quality hard black anodized item.

My rationalization for the purchase price is that it is roughly the cost of just one decent 0.965” eyepiece and it now allows me to use almost all but my 2-inch eyepieces on my C90.

Had I found this item earlier, I would never have purchased 0.965” eyepieces (gave those up with my boyhood Japanese refractor).

I hope this may help those with a similar want.

• Borodog likes this

#2 Borodog

Borodog

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 02 May 2021 - 07:30 PM

I use an SCT thread adapter. Hence I can use all my 2" SCT accessories.

Attached Thumbnails

• post-346195-0-52588600-1616093227_thumb.jpg

Edited by Borodog, 02 May 2021 - 07:33 PM.

• mpsteidle and Vitez like this

#3 Vitez

Vitez

Sputnik

• topic starter
  • Loc: Rancho Palos Verdes, CA

Posted 02 May 2021 - 07:39 PM

Nice adaptation!

And...I recently sold the weight set from my Classic Orange C8 and never saw them used on a C90 before! Is this for stability, to counter the mass of the camera or both?

#4 davidmcgo

davidmcgo

Soyuz

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 02 May 2021 - 07:45 PM

The C90 was very heavy on the fork side and needed the weights to be balanced in right ascension.  There was also a clip available to use them on the front cell to balance a camera on the back.

Dave

• Borodog likes this

#5 Borodog

Borodog

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 03 May 2021 - 08:26 AM

What davidmcgo said. For me I only image at high elevation with it (usually the mid day Sun these days), so the weight of the camera on the back is not a problem.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Eyepieces, Maksutov, Celestron, Accessories, Classic

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics