•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Takahashi Reducer adapter

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 geoffoto

geoffoto

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 May 2021 - 07:12 AM

I have a Takahashi FSQ106 scope and would like to add a Tak Reducer QE 0.73X to the train. The reducer has 77mm male threads on the OTA side and 55mm male threads on the camera side.  My problem is how to mate the reducer to an adapter that on the camera side receives my 2" nosepiece (connected to filter wheel and featuring thumb screws). Currently my adapter screws directly into the OTA.  I bought a complete set of step up and step down rings hoping one of them would solve the problem but the threads are wrong (male/female wise). 

Plenty of folks use the reducer so I know there's a solution.  Adapters that receive a 2" nosepiece with thumbscrews don't seem to come with much variety of thread sizes on the other end.  Thanks for any ideas.  

#2 teashea

teashea

Apollo

• Loc: Lincoln, Nebraska, USA

Posted 03 May 2021 - 10:01 PM

I suggest that you email or call Texas Nautical Repair.

#3 geoffoto

geoffoto

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 May 2021 - 01:32 PM

Looks like they're permanently closed.  Thanks for the tip, though.  

#4 Steve C.

Steve C.

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sugar Land, TX

Posted 04 May 2021 - 03:29 PM

I stopped by there just the other day last week. Saw no indication of them closing up.

#5 t-ara-fan

t-ara-fan

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: 50° 13' N

Posted 04 May 2021 - 09:35 PM

I stopped by there just the other day last week. Saw no indication of them closing up.

Their website won't come up on my PC. My phone (different network) says "permanently closed".

OP try contacting Takahashi America (talk to Christopher H.) and ask for the system chart for that reducer. 

Here is a chart But that chart only shows a threaded connection to a camera.

Edited by t-ara-fan, 04 May 2021 - 09:39 PM.

#6 nemo129

nemo129

Gemini

• Loc: WMass

Posted 05 May 2021 - 08:09 AM

geoffoto,

I am sure you have this PDF??

Question, why use a 2" nosepiece when you could have a threaded connection, unless I misunderstood you? You might need to go to Precise Parts (assuming you are in the US, not sure if Ashley ships international) and have an adapter made to go from the QE to your filterwheel since the spacing from the QE reducer to the camera sensor needs to be precise at 72.2 mm from the 0.73 reducer shoulder. You also need to compensate for filter thickness and possibly your camera's sensor coverslip.  

This topic has been exhaustively discussed here on CN more than once. Here is a good thread to check.

Good luck! 

#7 Steve C.

Steve C.

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sugar Land, TX

Posted 05 May 2021 - 10:56 AM

Takahashi America is Texas Nautical Repair and is Land Sea & Sky, all at 1925a Richmond Houston Texas and their phone number is 713-529-3551. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics