•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Test session : M92 the lesser globular ...

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: Eeklo,Belgium

Posted 03 May 2021 - 01:51 PM

Hi folks

Test session in my 130 mm TS Photoline f/7...

Only  a test still i find it not bad at all considering this picture holds no flats nor bias...

https://www.cloudyni...3911_430041.png

Just wanted to know if any caveats were in the scope. It seems all good, or good enough. 

Roughly 2 hours of integration

This globular too is impressive ....

Attached Thumbnails

• M92_11.jpg

• AviddayM, George Simon, eros312 and 21 others like this

#2 Boeglewatcher

Boeglewatcher

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Regensburg, Germany

Posted 03 May 2021 - 02:18 PM

Great shot, Freddy. The globular looks 3-dimensional. Very impressive!

cs Joachim 

#3 MikiSJ

MikiSJ

Surveyor 1

• Loc: San Jose, CA

Posted 03 May 2021 - 03:17 PM

:waytogo: Nice capture! 

#4 spaceoddity

spaceoddity

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Cloudsylvania

Posted 03 May 2021 - 03:24 PM

M92 is a beauty!

#5 AviddayM

AviddayM

Vanguard

• Loc: Snohomish, Washington

Posted 03 May 2021 - 06:38 PM

Very nice image. waytogo.gif

#6 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 04 May 2021 - 01:02 PM

Thanks everybody for the comments

For those who like it , a cropped version

only a jpg but what the heck.

Stefan, a deepsky friend, told me about quite some faint (alot) small galaxies in the picture, some over 500 milion lightyears away..i should pay more attention...

http://www.jthommes....p_annotated.jpg

But this was only a test shoot, i did not expect it would be that great, allthough, picture still could be better...

Attached Thumbnails

• M92_11_cropped.jpg

Edited by F.Meiresonne, 04 May 2021 - 01:03 PM.

• Boeglewatcher and galacticinsomnia like this

#7 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 04 May 2021 - 01:18 PM

Actually, if this info is correct, even a quasar bilions of lightyears away is in this picture...

Just crazy...

Attached Thumbnails

• M92_Quasar.JPG
  • Quasar2.JPG

• Boeglewatcher and Skysmacker like this

#8 vidrazor

vidrazor

Viking 1

Posted 04 May 2021 - 01:23 PM

Nice! Is that without a flat field corrector with your Canon?

#9 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 04 May 2021 - 01:25 PM

No , a field flattener was used, yes with the Canon  800D (T7i), unmodded of the shelf camera...

Without FF stars would be a little egg shaped in the corners, 

See picture

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1723 (Large).JPG

Edited by F.Meiresonne, 04 May 2021 - 01:29 PM.

#10 Boeglewatcher

Boeglewatcher

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 04 May 2021 - 02:28 PM

Actually, if this info is correct, even a quasar bilions of lightyears away is in this picture...

Just crazy...

Amazing! How did you identify the Quasar, Freddy?

very nice scope you have there!

cs Joachim 

• F.Meiresonne likes this

#11 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 04 May 2021 - 02:36 PM

Amazing! How did you identify the Quasar, Freddy?

very nice scope you have there!

cs Joachim 

I did not.

My deepsky friend Stefan van de Rostyne did it...

I am still loosing myself too much in the technical aspect of taking and processing the image...i used to be a visual observer...Always on the edge of trying to see the faintest stuff...at the time, off course no quasars...i should just learn to pay more attention what is in the picture...

But indeed quite amazing this is possible from a light polluted backyard..bortle 5

• Boeglewatcher likes this

#12 unimatrix0

unimatrix0

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 04 May 2021 - 03:36 PM

My brother is a star-cluster fanatic (fan of looking at star clusters more than galaxies or nebulae) he always asking me to photograph the star clusters. I guess he read or watched something about how an advanced alien civilization would aim to live in a star cluster instead of lonely solar systems, due to abundance of resources from stars being near. Doubtful there would be day or night though on a planet (if that's even possible) circling around a star deep in the cluster. 

Edited by unimatrix0, 04 May 2021 - 03:37 PM.

#13 vidrazor

vidrazor

Viking 1

Posted 04 May 2021 - 05:15 PM

No , a field flattener was used, yes with the Canon  800D (T7i), unmodded of the shelf camera...

Without FF stars would be a little egg shaped in the corners, 

See picture

Nice. If a triplett still need a corrector, what's the advantage in the triplett? I thought the third optic was doing some correction.

• galacticinsomnia likes this

#14 Kevin_A

Kevin_A

Viking 1

• Loc: Belmont, Ontario Canada

Posted 04 May 2021 - 05:46 PM

Nice. If a triplett still need a corrector, what's the advantage in the triplett? I thought the third optic was doing some correction.

A field flattener corrects the shape at the edges of the image whereas a triplet corrects all 3 colours... red, green and blue to make them all converge at the same point. Telescopes are typically designed for the round contour of our eyeballs and therefore must be corrected for a flat camera sensor to remove elongation from this mismatch.... and that is the purpose of a flattener.

Edited by Kevin_A, 04 May 2021 - 05:52 PM.

• vidrazor and galacticinsomnia like this

#15 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 05 May 2021 - 12:36 AM

CA correction as Kevin mentioned. A doublet can't correct for full CA, and this CA increases with the aperture..It crossed my mind to buy a 125 mm FPL53 doublet because those kind of doublets are really well corrected allready like my 102 mm but due to the increased aperture i thought i was more 'secure' to go for a triplet.

There are even lens designs with 4 or more lenses for correcting CA. Televue uses a Petzval element. 2 cemented doublets , that is 4 lenses in 2 groups. I believe the redcats use Petzval too.

Nevertheless one needs a FF ,otherwise stars in the corners are egg shaped and the faster the scope the worser that gets

#16 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 05 May 2021 - 12:44 AM

My brother is a star-cluster fanatic (fan of looking at star clusters more than galaxies or nebulae) he always asking me to photograph the star clusters. I guess he read or watched something about how an advanced alien civilization would aim to live in a star cluster instead of lonely solar systems, due to abundance of resources from stars being near. Doubtful there would be day or night though on a planet (if that's even possible) circling around a star deep in the cluster. 

Yeah, we can't really imagine how it must be up there in the cluser especially towards the centre. I have read once it never gets fully dark there should there be planets around the many millions of suns...

The universe is just incredible , and we do have the technical possibilities to photograph it , relatively simple from our backyards . About half a century ago this was almost not possibly..we are blessed witht he equipment we can get at reasonable prices these days..amazing also...

About equipment, today my T3i rebel was delivered, debayered by a fellow CN member here..It is now a mono camera...so i can start to shoot narrowband as use that as Luminance..

Edited by F.Meiresonne, 05 May 2021 - 12:47 AM.

#17 Boeglewatcher

Boeglewatcher

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 05 May 2021 - 01:49 AM

Yeah, we can't really imagine how it must be up there in the cluser especially towards the centre. I have read once it never gets fully dark there should there be planets around the many millions of suns...

The universe is just incredible , and we do have the technical possibilities to photograph it , relatively simple from our backyards . About half a century ago this was almost not possibly..we are blessed witht he equipment we can get at reasonable prices these days..amazing also...

About equipment, today my T3i rebel was delivered, debayered by a fellow CN member here..It is now a mono camera...so i can start to shoot narrowband as use that as Luminance..

That’s a very interesting way you go, Freddy, using an OSC debayered. Could you share your experience once you have started using it/getting first results? Which filter you use, how you combine the lights, etc.

cs Joachim 

#18 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 05 May 2021 - 02:45 AM

That’s a very interesting way you go, Freddy, using an OSC debayered. Could you share your experience once you have started using it/getting first results? Which filter you use, how you combine the lights, etc.

cs Joachim 

I will but we have a member here on the forum 'The Elf'. He uses exactly the same camera's and actually it was him that explained this all to me. I could process some of his stacks with and without Luminance. The difference is just amazing.

Take a look at his website

https://elf-of-lothlorien.de

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics