•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

NEQ 6 vs EQ6 R pro vs CEM40 (Mount question)

Equipment Astrophotography
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 TheAstroChemist

TheAstroChemist

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 May 2021 - 03:03 PM

Hello Astrophotography community, 

I am still a new astrophotographer and am looking to take the next step in my equitorial mount as I only have a skywatcher star adventurer. 

Ideally I want to get the EQ6 R pro, however, in europe and in the US, the mount is sold out, and it is on a very long backorder. In europe i can get myself the NEQ 6 from https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/ and I can also find deals on the CEM40. 

The question I have is, whether or not I should get the NEQ 6 or wait up to 6 months to get the EQ6 R pro. How big is the difference in performance between these two mount? Ideally in the future I would want to get a telescope like the Sky Watcher 120mm Esprit ED with some sort of guiding (weighs 22lb or about 10 kg without camera and guide scope/camera). What sort of exposure time will i be achieving if i dont have guiding, since i wont be able to get guiding for a long time.

Furthermore, the CEM40 is also an interesting mount, however, i read that it doesnt do too well with heavier payloads even though it supports up to 40 lb or 18 kg. Do you guys think it could support a 120mm Esprit ED with guiding?

Sorry this is messy, but all in all, How big is the difference between the NEQ 6 and EQ6 R pro and is it worth waiting 6 months for the EQ6 R pro. And finally, is the CEM40 worth consdering, given that my ideal set up would be around 26 to 28 lb or 12 to 13 kg

Thanks in advance!

#2 Supernova74

Supernova74

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Epsom surrey near (London)

Posted 03 May 2021 - 03:46 PM

Well i think going with the specs alone and versatility most probably the skywatcher EQ6-R with a payload capacity of 20kg or 44lbs from my reckoning the NEQ6 is aimed at more as a heavier payload capacity mount for larger OTA,s of up to 25kg for visual purposes and to me the EQ6-R a more dedicated imaging mount in mind,so I don,t know how skywatcher managed that one to be honest as both the mounts are not leaps and bounds in price comparisons!?so theoretically the NEQ6 will be around 12-14kg mark for imaging purposes which is an dramatic weight capacity advantage for visual however the opposite side of the spectrum for imaging etc.the ioptron mounts on the other hand seem to be a little tight on there full payload capacity and the GEM40 has around 40lbs so there is only around 4lbs in it compared to to the EQ6-R however for my money I think I would prefer the EQ6-R by a very narrow margin tho.

#3 TheAstroChemist

TheAstroChemist

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 May 2021 - 05:23 PM

Well i think going with the specs alone and versatility most probably the skywatcher EQ6-R with a payload capacity of 20kg or 44lbs from my reckoning the NEQ6 is aimed at more as a heavier payload capacity mount for larger OTA,s of up to 25kg for visual purposes and to me the EQ6-R a more dedicated imaging mount in mind,so I don,t know how skywatcher managed that one to be honest as both the mounts are not leaps and bounds in price comparisons!?so theoretically the NEQ6 will be around 12-14kg mark for imaging purposes which is an dramatic weight capacity advantage for visual however the opposite side of the spectrum for imaging etc.the ioptron mounts on the other hand seem to be a little tight on there full payload capacity and the GEM40 has around 40lbs so there is only around 4lbs in it compared to to the EQ6-R however for my money I think I would prefer the EQ6-R by a very narrow margin tho.

Thank you very much for the reply.

I just did some more browsing and came across the AZ-EQ6 GT, this one claims that it can hold up to 20 kg. Is this mount perhaps worth getting considering the EQ 6 R pro is unnavailable?

#4 Woodbridge_Dave

Woodbridge_Dave

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 03 May 2021 - 08:33 PM

The EQ6 R Pro and AZEQ6 and NEQ6 will all serve your needs well.  I have an Esprit 120 mouunted on EQ6R pro.  I would not dream of using a CEM40 for anything other than camera and lens.  Have you seen the CEM40 ?  It is a toy by comparison.  Ignore the marketing hype of iOptron.

#5 TheAstroChemist

TheAstroChemist

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 May 2021 - 05:11 AM

The EQ6 R Pro and AZEQ6 and NEQ6 will all serve your needs well.  I have an Esprit 120 mouunted on EQ6R pro.  I would not dream of using a CEM40 for anything other than camera and lens.  Have you seen the CEM40 ?  It is a toy by comparison.  Ignore the marketing hype of iOptron.

That is also what I heard other people say about the CEM40, and ive come to believe your claims that i just wont do for the setup.

So given what Supernova74 said about the NEQ 6, should I just get the NEQ6 instead of waiting for the EQ 6 R pro to be in stock?

#6 rishigarrod

rishigarrod

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 05 May 2021 - 01:40 AM

Although I agree that the EQ6R is a very fine mount saying the CEM40 is a "toy" in comparison does not do justice to the mount. After a lot of research I went for a GEM45 (mechanically pretty much identical to the CEM40). It is a lot lighter than an EQ6R but personally I find that an advantage, it does not mean its a toy. I have it loaded up with an Edge 8HD with everything mounted on the scope (Pi4, Pegasus UPB, OAG and all the cables). This is a pretty heavy combination and the mount deals with it very easily. I have taken exposures up to 480 seconds with great results. I have also used it with a fully loaded Esprit 100 with similar great results. It is certainly not a mount that can only be used with a camera and lens.

Edited by rishigarrod, 05 May 2021 - 01:41 AM.

#7 TheAstroChemist

TheAstroChemist

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 May 2021 - 05:33 AM

Although I agree that the EQ6R is a very fine mount saying the CEM40 is a "toy" in comparison does not do justice to the mount. After a lot of research I went for a GEM45 (mechanically pretty much identical to the CEM40). It is a lot lighter than an EQ6R but personally I find that an advantage, it does not mean its a toy. I have it loaded up with an Edge 8HD with everything mounted on the scope (Pi4, Pegasus UPB, OAG and all the cables). This is a pretty heavy combination and the mount deals with it very easily. I have taken exposures up to 480 seconds with great results. I have also used it with a fully loaded Esprit 100 with similar great results. It is certainly not a mount that can only be used with a camera and lens.

I also looked into the GEM45, and i was impressed by its specifications. How long would you expect unguided exposures to be? Im asking because if I buy a mount, i wont be able to afford other equiment for a while. 

#8 rishigarrod

rishigarrod

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 07 May 2021 - 04:56 AM

I can't help you with unguided. I have switched to an OAG because I am imaging at long focal lengths at the moment. It does support PEC and some guys on the Indi forum have been experimenting with PEC so maybe you can find some more info there. I have read about people who have achieved up to 8 minutes unguided with a fairly wide angle glass.

I don't want to sound like a fanboy but I am loving this mount. The engineering is really nice and up until now it has functioned perfectly. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Equipment, Astrophotography

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics