•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Venus, spring 2021

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Quinnipiac Monster

Quinnipiac Monster

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 May 2021 - 04:21 PM

First observation of Venus for this elongation! As usual, I waited for the Sun to "set" behind my house to keep the telescope in the shade (and my eyes safe). This did not leave much time to observe since the angular separation was just 9.4 degrees, but seeing was horrible anyway. Very easy to find it in the viewfinder, in spite of the vicinity to the Sun and the small diameter (9.8").

The phase was 98.7%, yet the disk did not seem completely "full" and the defect was right where it should have been (right lower corner in the sketch). Some banding noticeable at 220x, particularly in full light and with a #80A. I did a quick sketch, just to give an idea of what it looked like. Still warming up smile.gif

Newton 10" f/7 from New Haven CT.

p.s. I hate thread proliferation, so I have decided to place all of my observations of Venus in this thread if the mods are fine with that.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20210501_1920_dalp_venus_color_small.jpg

Edited by Quinnipiac Monster, 03 May 2021 - 04:25 PM.

• frank5817, eros312, Jef De Wit and 11 others like this

#2 flt158

flt158

Vanguard

• Loc: Dublin, Republic of Ireland

Posted 03 May 2021 - 05:14 PM

What a delightful sketch you have given us of Venus even before sunset, Quinnipiac Monster! applause.gif

I greatly admire those 2 subtle grey areas. 

By the way, I am not in the least bit surprised you had horrible seeing. rolleyes.gif  

But it is very nice to know the brightest and the closest planet is back in our evening skies! 

Clear skies from Aubrey. 

Edited by flt158, 03 May 2021 - 05:15 PM.

#3 guilaume

guilaume

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: 43°43'N; 1°35'E

Posted 03 May 2021 - 11:33 PM

Hi, it's very nice observation in bad conditions with very good sketch. 

Thank you.

Clear skies.

#4 chrisrnuttall

chrisrnuttall

Apollo

• Loc: York, England

Posted 04 May 2021 - 01:53 AM

You've made a good early start on Venus with the disc almost full. Nice to see it showing some detail in the bright blue sky in your drawing.

I have similar intentions but the weather in the daytime has taken a turn for the worse, the sky outside is grey and full of rain clouds as I write, but your drawing reminds me of this time a year ago getting sunburnt whilst making daily drawings in shorts and t-shirt, a price worth paying.....
  • flt158 likes this

#5 Quinnipiac Monster

Quinnipiac Monster

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 May 2021 - 08:26 AM

It's either 1) clear but windy (as in, windy) or 2) rainy, or 3) both. Mostly 2 and 3. It's been like that for weeks, only reason why I had to give up on Mars. I caught that glimpse of Venus on a rare clear day, using the house as both a sun and wind shield.

I do not remember ever getting sunburnt observing Venus, but perhaps my (Italian) definition of a sunburn is different from Yorkshire's smile.gif

What a delightful sketch you have given us of Venus even before sunset, Quinnipiac Monster! applause.gif

I actually never observe Venus after sunset, but perhaps it's not a bad idea. Seeing may be better with Venus lower but the Sun down. I remember observing the 2004 transit of Venus on the Sun, soon after sunrise the seeing was perfect, at midday a total mess. That would be more complicated though, because I do not have a good western horizon so I will only be able to do it around the W elongation, or I will have to load the telescope on my car.

Edited by Quinnipiac Monster, 04 May 2021 - 08:28 AM.

• flt158 likes this

#6 niteskystargazer

niteskystargazer

Cosmos

• Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W

Posted 04 May 2021 - 08:37 AM

Ivano,

Nice sketch of Venus, (Spring 2021) smile.gif .

CS,KLU,

thanx.gif ,

Tom

#7 chrisrnuttall

chrisrnuttall

Apollo

Posted 04 May 2021 - 12:10 PM

I actually never observe Venus after sunset, but perhaps it's not a bad idea. Seeing may be better with Venus lower but the Sun down. I remember observing the 2004 transit of Venus on the Sun, soon after sunrise the seeing was perfect, at midday a total mess. That would be more complicated though, because I do not have a good western horizon so I will only be able to do it around the W elongation, or I will have to load the telescope on my car.

Midday / early afternoon seeing was horrible for me on Venus last year. Definitely better with the sun lower down.

I do not remember ever getting sunburnt observing Venus, but perhaps my (Italian) definition of a sunburn is different from Yorkshire's smile.gif

Probably! But also your Italian skin may well be more difficult to burn than mine!

• flt158 likes this

#8 chrisrnuttall

chrisrnuttall

Apollo

Posted Yesterday, 02:05 PM

Hi Ivano, hope you don't mind me adding my Venus sketch to your thread, I thought it made sense.

I managed a couple of observations of Venus on Friday during gaps between bands of raincloud.

The first was at about 14:00 when Venus was due south and 55° high, despite the altitude the seeing was pretty bad, I suppose because of all the thermal mixing happening with strong sun breaking through big rain clouds. All I managed to see was a blank disc with a softly shaded terminator to the following side.

Then it clouded over for the afternoon, but as the sun was sinking behind the house there was a 40 minute clearance in which I was able to get a decent view.

I observed in Integrated light for a few minutes before switching to my favourite filter for Venus in a bright blue sky, the 1000 Oak LP2, which is a bottle green and seems to really bring out detail.

Again I saw a soft terminator, but this time bright poles with darker collars, and a bright chevron feature over the middle of the disc.

After Venus I tried sweeping for Mercury but no luck, and then the clouds returned. Raining all day today so I'm catching up with my sketches.

Attached Thumbnails

• Venus_2021-05-07_1730ut_CNuttall small.jpg

• frank5817, niteskystargazer and mdowns like this

#9 Quinnipiac Monster

Quinnipiac Monster

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted Today, 04:41 PM

Well that's a whole different level :) Thank you for sharing. Relentless bad weather here... or very windy.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics