•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Selsi Telescope Achromatic 40X60

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 DouglasPaul

DouglasPaul

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Monroe Washington

Posted 03 May 2021 - 10:08 PM

I promised to put up some pictures of this to CN member Piaget I believe if my memory serves when I won it on the Goodwill site so here goes.I have decided this will go to my granddaughter for her birthday. She has expressed a interest in "space stuff" and is still young enough that a high powered shot of the moon rather startled her so this should be aperfect way to start and she can use the right side up optics during the day wink.gif .

The tube is a bit scratched up but no dents.

037.jpg

The dew shield doesn't unscrew it pulls off, oops, think I lost a bit of paint finding that out.

043.jpg

The lens is of course dirty.

046.jpg

The legs on the mount are not tolerable for a young person even though the OTA is, no tray or anything to hold it together. A disaster waiting to happen.

035.jpg

So I decided to get a donor scope to make this more usable for her. Another GW purchase.

050.jpg

It even comes with a box!

053.jpg

057.jpg

056.jpg

So the legs, tray and box from the Jason are going to the Selsi and I'm stowing the originals away. The legs were a bit beat up so I sanded them down.

025.jpg

030.jpg

032.jpg

I had to cut some off the tops to make them fit the Selsi mount. Then I thought hey, I know I have some kind of wood stain out in the shed. Looking around I came up with a can of tung oil as old as the Selsi and never opened. I had to put that thing in a vice to get it to budge.. lol.gif .

A couple coats later..

059.jpg

Tomorrow I have a rare day off so I'll be looking to paint the OTA and the hardware. More to come. Funny it took a present for a child to finally get me on the scope improvement detail. 

• steve t, mdowns, davidc135 and 3 others like this

#2 DouglasPaul

DouglasPaul

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Monroe Washington

Posted 04 May 2021 - 10:24 AM

The eyepiece end is in pretty fair shape so I'm going to hope I can get a good match on the objective cell and dew shield with the paint and leave the eyepiece end alone.

042.jpg

013.jpg

005.jpg 003.jpg

009.jpg

Any suggestions on paint would be appreciated. I guess you can get a aerosol can made? I probably will use my cheap Harbor Freight HVLP sprayer. It actually does a pretty good job, just wondering what paint to use. I'm not going to the expense of powder coating.

• Piaget likes this

#3 Piaget

Piaget

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Eastern Missouri

Posted 04 May 2021 - 11:05 AM

Thank you , my friend ... Fine present for your granddaughter & for remembering to post it. JW

• DouglasPaul likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics