•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Edge HD 11 with ZWO EAF?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Oscar Szentirmai

Oscar Szentirmai

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: London - UK

Posted 04 May 2021 - 04:18 AM

Has anyone managed to attach the ZWO EAF to the Edge HD 11?

ZWO sell the brackets for the Non Edge C11, and I have been told it would not work with the Edge series?

Not sure why? The focus knobs are identical?

Has anyone managed to use the ZWO EAF with the Edge series with some minor modification?

Thanks

#2 redline96

redline96

Lift Off

• Loc: Eastern NC

Posted 04 May 2021 - 04:41 AM

yes,  ZWO has a direct bolt on bracket that works perfectly with the edge..

part number is:     ZWO-EAF-C11-C14

Edited by redline96, 04 May 2021 - 04:44 AM.

• Oscar Szentirmai likes this

#3 Oscar Szentirmai

Oscar Szentirmai

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 May 2021 - 07:55 AM

yes,  ZWO has a direct bolt on bracket that works perfectly with the edge..

part number is:     ZWO-EAF-C11-C14

Our largest retailer in the UK, First Light Optics, confirms it does not fit the Edge HD models, which leaves me confused?

#4 redline96

redline96

Lift Off

• Loc: Eastern NC

Posted 04 May 2021 - 06:08 PM

I have one installed on my edge 11 with no problems or modifications.  

It works perfectly with one small exception...  The 60,000 steps that the EAF has does not allow for full focuser adjustment on the Edge 11.   You will have to get focus roughly setup on the scope then set the EAF at midway (30,000 steps)  then lock it all down.   Other than that that it works flawlessly.

Attached Thumbnails

• Edge 11 and Zwo focuser setup.jpg

Edited by redline96, 04 May 2021 - 06:24 PM.

#5 Kring

Kring

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 04 May 2021 - 07:30 PM

I have edgeHD 1100 and it worked perfectly with the large SCT bracket perfectly. Mine looks just like redlines.  I did similar setup in not tightening thr grub screws until you achieve basic focus, then tighten them down and set your current position to 30K.   If using AAP, I found the small of 10, large step of 80 and backlash of 250 to work best.  Focus throughout the night ranges between 300-500 steps.

#6 Oscar Szentirmai

Oscar Szentirmai

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 May 2021 - 07:52 AM

I have one installed on my edge 11 with no problems or modifications.  

It works perfectly with one small exception...  The 60,000 steps that the EAF has does not allow for full focuser adjustment on the Edge 11.   You will have to get focus roughly setup on the scope then set the EAF at midway (30,000 steps)  then lock it all down.   Other than that that it works flawlessly.

I have edgeHD 1100 and it worked perfectly with the large SCT bracket perfectly. Mine looks just like redlines.  I did similar setup in not tightening thr grub screws until you achieve basic focus, then tighten them down and set your current position to 30K.   If using AAP, I found the small of 10, large step of 80 and backlash of 250 to work best.  Focus throughout the night ranges between 300-500 steps.

Excellent. Thanks for your replies.

So, let me get this straight.

I hook up the EAF and the bracket to the Edge 11.

The grub screw that fixes the coupler to the actual motor arm of the EAF stays LOOSE.

I then attach imaging train and full setup.

Use my bhatinov mask to focus on a star.

Focusing will be done MANUALLY with rotating the coupler, just like I would rotate the old focus knob?

Once I am in focus, lock the grub screw that fixes the coupler to the EAF motor arm.

That should be recorded in software as 30K.

DO I THEN LOCK THE MIRROR? OR DOES IT STAY UNLOCKED?

Did I get that right?

Edited by Oscar Szentirmai, 05 May 2021 - 07:54 AM.

#7 Kring

Kring

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 05 May 2021 - 08:41 AM

you got it!

don't lock the mirrors at the end, since Autofocus will run occasionally and a locked mirror could prevent that or damage the EAF motor.

Edited by Kring, 05 May 2021 - 08:42 AM.

• Oscar Szentirmai and redline96 like this

#8 Oscar Szentirmai

Oscar Szentirmai

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 May 2021 - 09:37 AM

you got it!

don't lock the mirrors at the end, since Autofocus will run occasionally and a locked mirror could prevent that or damage the EAF motor.

Got it.

So where does the advantage of the mirror lock come in then? The autofocus will render the Edge just like a regular C11?

I thought that the primary advantage of the Edge is to avoid mirror flop and image shift using the locks?

Edited by Oscar Szentirmai, 05 May 2021 - 09:40 AM.

#9 Kring

Kring

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 05 May 2021 - 03:52 PM

I’m no expert on this, so take this with grain of skepticism and lets see what others say.    But the mirror flop isn’t really an issue when you have auto-focus, which you should run a few times a night.   My C11 stays in focus even when not locked.   The flop can happen when a meridian flip occurs, but you should run the auto focus routine again which would null out any flop that occur.

The flow is: shoot in focus, flip, out of focus, auto-focus routine. Now back in focus, keep shooting.

EdgeHD is more around the corrected flat field 

• Oscar Szentirmai and redline96 like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics