•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Do you people wear glasses while looking through the eyepiece?

Beginner Eyepieces Optics
  • Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 Boven

Boven

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Italy

Posted 04 May 2021 - 08:53 AM

I have myopia (-1.5) and slight astigmatism. When I look through binoculars or my eyepiece I always take my glasses off. Is it wrong? I think I can see just as well as wearing glasses but of course my eye is closer to the lens and I see a wider FOV. 

I'm asking this because I see many people recomending eyepieces because they have more eye relief for glasses. But do you all wear glasses while looking through?

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#2 Barlowbill

Barlowbill

Apollo

• Loc: Tulsa, Oklahoma

Posted 04 May 2021 - 09:01 AM

I take them off.  I use cloth glasses holder that go around neck.  Can get cheap on Amazon.  

• jcj380 and wrvond like this

#3 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 04 May 2021 - 09:03 AM

Boven:

In general, people wear glasses at the eyepiece because they have a significant amount of astigmatism. Myopia is focused out.

You're lucky to have just a slight amount of astigmatism, you're doing it right..

Jon

#4 jmillsbss

jmillsbss

Viking 1

• Loc: New Albany, Mississippi, USA

Posted 04 May 2021 - 09:12 AM

If you're more comfortable observing without glasses, then by all means, view w/o glasses.  The restriction of having to have long eye relief EPs would be removed, allowing you to have eyepieces, especially the really nice planetary EPs, that usually have better contrast and less glass in the design.  You can adjust for myopia with the focus knob.  Astigmatism is a different issues altogether.

I have the Televue Dioptrix lenses for many of my longer focal length EPs to correct for my astigmatism, which is 1.5.  Because they restrict you from getting as close to the eyepiece, then the EP has to be made with longer eye relief or you lose some of the field of view.  Astigmatism in your eyes looks like the stars have one or two bright spikes expending from the star.  Here's the difference: when you rotate your head, the pikes follow your rotating head/eye.  If you have a Newtonian, the sceondary vanes cause similar spikes, but those won't rotate with your head.

Not all EPs are able to connect the Dioptrx, so be knowledgeable about your particular EPs before buying.  If your astigmatism isn't too severe, you might be fine without any correction at all.  However, personal astigmatism gets worse with age, and is more pronounced in longer focal length EPs, because of the larger exit pupil.  If I view with exit pupils below 2.0, I see no ill effects and don't need any correction at all.  Severe astigmatism is best helped by Dioptrx, then wearing eyeglasses.  I tried wearing contacts.  It was futile and unhelpful.  They tell you the contacts will rotate.  They will.  Sometimes they'd rotate for no good reason!confused1.gif .

Edited by jmillsbss, 04 May 2021 - 05:43 PM.

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#5 petert913

petert913

Aurora

• Loc: Silverton, OR

Posted 04 May 2021 - 09:26 AM

Wearing glasses kills the enjoyment of a wide AFOV eyepiece for me.  So I view without my glasses.  I have a bit of astigmatism, but it's still better than having my eye 2" away from the glass.

#6 Richie2shoes

Richie2shoes

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Pittsburgh, PA

Posted 04 May 2021 - 09:35 AM

I've attached an inexpensive eyeglass case to all my scope mounts to keep my glasses in a safe place when I observe.  I thought I'd try contacts this year thinking they might help me see the charts with my glasses off, but I still needed reader glasses for the close stuff, so I'm sticking with regular glasses.

• bbbriggs, photomagica and kjkrum like this

#7 Tony Flanders

Tony Flanders

Hubble

• Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA

Posted 04 May 2021 - 09:37 AM

I have myopia (-1.5) and slight astigmatism. When I look through binoculars or my eyepiece I always take my glasses off. Is it wrong? I think I can see just as well as wearing glasses but of course my eye is closer to the lens and I see a wider FOV.

If your eyepiece has adequate eye relief, you can see the entire field of view while wearing eyeglasses.

I much prefer wearing eyeglasses while using binoculars for three reasons. First, I almost always wear my glasses for "naked-eye" viewing, because I can see many more stars with my glasses on (but using no other optical aid) than I can with just my own eyes and no artificial aids whatsoever. When observing with binoculars I switch constantly back and forth between the "naked-eye" view and the binocular-aided view, and this is a whole lot less convenient if I have to take my glasses off every time I put my binoculars to my eyes.

Second, I use the eyeglasses as an extra contact point to give the binoculars more stability. And finally -- but least important by far -- I have moderately strong astigmatism, so I get a significantly sharper view through any low-power instrument with glasses on.

Given that, I always try to select binoculars with enough eye relief to use them with glasses on.

But when viewing through a telescope, I usually take my glasses off. Actually, as often as not, if I was already wearing glasses I'll keep them on, but if they were already off I'll leave them off.

Regardless, whatever works for you is best.

• earlyriser, ButterFly, Bigal1817 and 1 other like this

#8 Ron359

Ron359

Surveyor 1

Posted 04 May 2021 - 09:38 AM

I might have about the same eyesight as you. After a couple decades of taking them off, and putting them on, I got tired of it and bending them or dropping them.   Particularly with binocs I could not see what/where I looking w/ glasses off.  Tried a neck strap for awhile but they always got in the way at a telescope.  Also when doing public outreach its best to focus with them on so most others don't have to refocus your scope -which can lead to 'trouble'.  So bought long eye relief binocs and eyepieces so I just leave glasses on mostly all the time.  

• izar187 likes this

#9 DSOGabe

DSOGabe

Apollo

• Loc: El Paso, TX

Posted 04 May 2021 - 09:38 AM

I too have astigmatism and wear progressive type bifocals. I will not wear them at the eyepiece. I just find it too uncomfortable and can't find a good position or distance from the eyepiece to really make the best of it. The astigmatism is mild enough that it has no effect on my viewing. 

• wrvond and CeeKay like this

#10 Mark Lovik

Mark Lovik

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 04 May 2021 - 10:06 AM

Answers may depend on your eyes

• I have 10-11 diopter glasses.  Glasses at this level have severe curvature.  It becomes the weak link in my optical train.
  • Because of this I only wear contacts at the telescope.  One eye has some astigmatism, contacts correct this.
  • I tried no contacts or glasses.  Sharing views with others becomes a problem without major refocusing.

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#11 Bigal1817

Bigal1817

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Colorado

Posted 04 May 2021 - 10:16 AM

My thinking on this has evolved. At first, no glasses. Then a period of back and forth.  I prefer to wear them now, of course I only have 1 eyepiece with long eye relief so there's plenty of times I must take them off.  Feel free to try it both ways and know that it's okay to go through extended periods where you prefer one or the other.

Edited by Bigal1817, 04 May 2021 - 10:31 AM.

#12 havasman

havasman

Voyager 1

• Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 04 May 2021 - 10:37 AM

No but I do wear contacts. They're just not any factor in my observing for me at all except that I can see well.

• ButterFly likes this

#13 rblackadar

rblackadar

Mariner 2

• Loc: Northern California (Mt. Tam)

Posted 04 May 2021 - 11:16 AM

Off.

Only a few disadvantages:

With my Nikon 10x50 binocs I can't quite reach focus with both eyes.

Outreach is more difficult; generally it's best to focus with glasses on.

RACI finder crosshairs are not in focus, and there is some parallax since the focal plane is shifted. Usually I don't bother illuminating the reticle anyway.

#14 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Voyager 1

Posted 04 May 2021 - 05:23 PM

I tend to leave glasses on when stargazing with others, and take them off if stargazing alone.

Scott

Edited by SeattleScott, 04 May 2021 - 05:24 PM.

• 25585 likes this

#15 skybsd

skybsd

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 04 May 2021 - 05:30 PM

Hello, 

... But do you all wear glasses while looking through?

Yes, I do - always have and I have no reason to change.., 

skybsd 

#16 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 04 May 2021 - 05:46 PM

Answers may depend on your eyes

• I have 10-11 diopter glasses.  Glasses at this level have severe curvature.  It becomes the weak link in my optical train.
  • Because of this I only wear contacts at the telescope.  One eye has some astigmatism, contacts correct this.
  • I tried no contacts or glasses.  Sharing views with others becomes a problem without major refocusing.

With 10-11 diopters (nearsighted I assume), it can be very difficult to find binoculars with that much range.. 

I think everyone has to find their own solution. 

At 73, my eyes are fixed focus.  Fortunately they're fixed at infinity with no astigmatism so my problem is reading charts and various things closer up. I need two sets of glasses to collimate my Dobs, one set to see the laser on the mirror and one set to see the laser on the collimators face. Add a third set to read charts..

But I'm happy.. I feel lucky.

Jon

#17 Deep13

Deep13

Aurora

• Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 04 May 2021 - 05:57 PM

I have a bit of astigmatism and slightly near-sighted. I use progressive eyeglasses most of the time, but I take them off for astronomy. Neither condition is bad enough to be bothersome.
  • Jon Isaacs and CeeKay like this

#18 Baron von Smoogle

Baron von Smoogle

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Lusby, MD

Posted 04 May 2021 - 05:58 PM

I take them off.

#19 Battlestamps

Battlestamps

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Upstate New York

Posted 04 May 2021 - 07:41 PM

I take them off as they are annoying with eyepeices, but have to put them back on if I need to use any type of finder.

#20 vtornado

vtornado

Soyuz

• Loc: Northern Illinois

Posted 04 May 2021 - 08:05 PM

I nearly always take my glasses off for the following reasons.  I have slight-moderate astigmatism and am quite near sighted.

My glasses are scratched and frequently dirty.   Many times I don't notice until looking through binos or a telescope.

When using binos, I like when the eye cups are pressed against my eyes.  This eliminates stray light from

coming in.  Some binos do not have enough diopter adjustment to compensate for the difference in my

eye dioper.

For a telescope ay mild astigmatim does not show up at medium to high power.

Only at low power wide field viewing do I notice the astig.   This is the only time I use

my glasses.   And I don't use them when using wide angle for a finder eyepiece.  Only

when viewing open clusters, or milky way when I want to see the whole field at once

with the best sharpness.

I still need my glasses to see naked eye stars when initially pointing the scope, so I bought a glasses

chain so I don't have that "oooh pulverized moment" -- R. Parker

VT

Edited by vtornado, 04 May 2021 - 08:07 PM.

#21 Tony Flanders

Tony Flanders

Hubble

• Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA

Posted 05 May 2021 - 04:16 AM

A very important question is whether you read with your glasses on or off. Being myopic, I have always read with my glasses off. And since in my style of observing I consult star charts frequently, either on paper or on electronic devices, I necessarily have my glasses off much of the time when I'm out stargazing. On the other hand, while I can see all the major constellation stars without glasses under dark skies, wearing my glasses multiplies the number of naked-eye stars by at least a factor of four. So regardless of what I do while looking through the eyepiece, I'm stuck with a situation where I constantly take my glasses on and off. In fact I have one pocket specifically devoted to holding my glasses when I'm not wearing them. Keeping them in a pocket rather than on my observing table (when I'm using a table, which isn't always) avoids problems with fogging up.

That's another reason why I usually don't wear glasses at the eyepiece of my telescope. Once I'm down to the telescopic level, I'm usually going back and forth between eyepiece and chart. Unlike when I'm using binoculars, the naked-eye sky is in a different plane of reality. Therefore, I have focused the finderscope on my 12.5-inch Dob for use without glasses. Refocusing telescopes is quick and easy, but that's not true for most finderscopes.

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#22 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 05 May 2021 - 05:30 AM

A very important question is whether you read with your glasses on or off.

I definitely read with my glasses on. They're just cheap readers, I buy them 4 or 5 at a time at the dollar tree. 

But that's all I need them for so I'm not to going to compromise the views through the eyepiece just to avoid dealing with my reading glasses. My normal technique is just to flip the readers up on my forehead, they rest on my eyebrows.

Jon

• izar187 likes this

#23 jcj380

jcj380

Vanguard

• Loc: Hellinois

Posted 05 May 2021 - 03:43 PM

When I got back into the hobby, I always took my glasses off.  That was a PITA until I bought one of the neck lanyard things.  But the stars looked like fuzzy blobs when I wasn't looking in the scope if I didn't I put my glasses back on, so I started wearing my glasses while observing. 

I only buy EPs with good eye relief and now I can look up from the scope and tell the difference between a plane and a planet.  wink.gif

Edited by jcj380, 05 May 2021 - 03:46 PM.

• izar187 and Ron359 like this

#24 Alan French

Alan French

Night Owl

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 05 May 2021 - 04:37 PM

I tend to leave mine on. Always prefer to have a focused view of the skies immediately available. 

Clear skies, Alan

• izar187, Ron359, jcj380 and 1 other like this

#25 25585

Voyager 1

• Loc: In a valley, in the SW UK. Dark end of the street.

Posted 07 May 2021 - 05:54 AM

I tend to leave glasses on when stargazing with others, and take them off if stargazing alone.

Scott

Me too. I need to see charts, cases, my feet(!) etc so glasses are essential snd safer to enjoy viewing. On/off all the time is too much hassle as well, especially under headwear, and could damage the frame.

Luckily enough & top class eyepieces with enough eye relief for glasses wearers are now made so there is no need to be discouraged if you wish or need to keep your glasses on 

• izar187 and jcj380 like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Beginner, Eyepieces, Optics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics