•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Do you people wear glasses while looking through the eyepiece?

Beginner Eyepieces Optics
  • Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#26 epee

epee

Aurora

• Loc: Suh-van-nuh, Jaw-juh

Posted 07 May 2021 - 07:10 AM

I leave my glasses on and have purchased eyepieces with that thought in mind. My sole exception is when using tight Plossls for planetary, but then I'm not looking for charts, am in my backyard, and the exit pupil is small enough to alleviate astigmatism. 

• izar187 and jcj380 like this

#27 OneGear

OneGear

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Minneapolis

Posted 07 May 2021 - 04:59 PM

No.  I have mild amount of astigmatism, not enough to bother me at the eyepiece.  I take my glasses of to read anyway so it's not any kind of hassle to just leave them off.  I've never been comfortable wearing glasses with binoculars either.

I'm pretty sure there's no "wrong" way.  

• izar187 likes this

#28 Paul Sweeney

Paul Sweeney

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Heidelberg, Germany

Posted 08 May 2021 - 11:20 AM

I am a little short sighted and have mild astigmatism. I generally observe with my glasses on because the image is just a tad tighter. So I have to take them off to read my charts, which tends to be a pain. I picked my general use eyepiece set for use with glasses.
  • izar187 and jcj380 like this

#29 dgordontx

dgordontx

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Central, TX

Posted 13 May 2021 - 01:05 PM

C. Contacts.

I used to do the on/off glasses thing (I'm a +5.5 with astigmatism). Glasses got ruined working outside so I got contacts. I wear those when viewing now and it's so much easier.

• dbrb likes this

#30 jcj380

jcj380

Vanguard

• Loc: Hellinois

Posted 13 May 2021 - 02:14 PM

I have to amend my post a bit.  I tried a new dark site, but there was a streetlight nearby so I had to take my glasses off and shield my face.  I forgot to bring my blockout hoodie with me.

• ButterFly likes this

#31 CeeKay

CeeKay

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Vancouver, WA

Posted 13 May 2021 - 07:18 PM

I've tried with glasses in the past and for me it's a hassle.  I'm better off without wearing them when viewing.

Chris

#32 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth

Posted 14 May 2021 - 12:08 AM

I usually take them off while observing.

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#33 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 14 May 2021 - 04:07 PM

I can see the astigmatism from my own eye down to about 1.7mm exit pupil (9.8mm focal length), so I wear glasses with anything longer in focal length and don't wear glasses for

focal lengths below.

That would normally be no problem, but where I observe it is ALWAYS cold enough to need hoods over the head for warmth.

Glasses placed under the hood are difficult to remove and it also bends the frames when the hood is cinched down.

So I wear them outside the hoods with an adjustable lanyard behind the head to hold them on and hold them all the way up on the bridge of the nose.

This works great until I find myself switching back and forth between my 11mm eyepiece (glasses) and my 8mm eyepiece (no glasses).

Loosening the lanyard and allowing the glasses to hang around the neck for the 8mm isn't really advantageous because, being heavily presbyopic, I cannot read my DSC screen or notes

without glasses.  My glasses are bifocals with a special small reader section on the bottom, outside the field of view of the eyepiece.  Regular bifocals won't work.

I'm on the verge of selling all my eyepieces below 10mm and replacing them with glasses-friendly eyepieces so I can simply keep my glasses on with all eyepieces.

That way, I can read my notes and I don't have to go to the trouble of loosening the lanyard to let my glasses hang, then putting the glasses back on to read, then letting them drop again

to look through the eyepiece.

This is not a problem at warmer sites, where all I need for warmth is a cap and my glasses can easily be slipped on and off.

The problem is, that only occurs maybe once a year where I observe.

A DioptRx wouldn't solve the problem, since I'd need to put glasses on to read notes, and they would have to fit around the outside of the hoods.

Bifocal contacts wouldn't work because the lower section is always in the field of view when the exit pupil fills or comes close to filling the pupil of the eye.

The easy answer is to wear glasses at all focal lengths.

• Dave Mitsky, Passerine and David I like this

#34 PeterAB

PeterAB

Explorer 1

• Loc: Southern Wisconsin, USA

Posted 15 May 2021 - 05:44 PM

...  My glasses are bifocals with a special small reader section on the bottom, outside the field of view of the eyepiece.  Regular bifocals won't work.

Hi Don,

Have you considered glasses with one lens for distance and one for reading?     I'm thinking about getting a pair made up for observing.   I have a Rx and the optometrist says this works for some people.      He thinks it may be good for observing because I'm just using one eye at a time anyway.   I could look through the eyepiece with either lens adjusting focus.    I'd have one eye for reading and one eye to see objects and aim the telescope with a 1x finder. 

Everyday progressive lenses are not great at the eyepiece for me.     I have single vision distance glasses, but, I need to take them off to read charts.    I cannot see stars well enough to aim my telescope with my readers, but, they give nice views with a focus adjustment. 

My astigmatism is mild and I don't notice it with a exit pupil less the 2.5mm.    I do need glasses for finding, wide field views, and they help with charts and sketching and writing notes in the dark

Anyway,  I am also suffering from the fumbling with glasses problem and I am looking for a solution.

Peter

Edited by PeterAB, 15 May 2021 - 05:45 PM.

#35 Starman1

Starman1

• Vendors

Posted 15 May 2021 - 05:59 PM

Peter: what a great idea!  You might have a hard time getting a lab to make those glasses for you, but, being single vision lenses, you could order one pair for distance and one pair for reading and merely change the lens.

• jcj380 likes this

#36 jcj380

jcj380

Vanguard

Posted 16 May 2021 - 05:39 AM

My ophthalmologist wrote me a second prescription for single vision distance lenses once although I wear progressives. I just used it for sunglasses at the time. I've had no noticeable problem observing with progressives.

Given the typically outrageous cost of frames, I’d now look into Warby Parker if I did single vision “throw-aways”. My step-daughter just got some very reasonably priced WPs and she loves them. YMMV.

Edited by jcj380, 16 May 2021 - 05:55 AM.

#37 Starman1

Starman1

• Vendors

Posted 16 May 2021 - 09:12 AM

EyeBuyDirect is also quite affordable, as is Costco.

• Jon Isaacs and jcj380 like this

#38 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 18 May 2021 - 05:02 AM

EyeBuyDirect is also quite affordable, as is Costco.

Reusing old frames is also a possibility if you start out with quality frames.  I have been using the same model titanium/shape metal alloy frames for more than 20 years.  My vision care plan at work allowed me to get a new pair of frames every two years. They were above the limit so I did have to pay something and I never got new frames every two years but I have 4 or 5 old frames in good condition.. 

I think Walmart also has good prices.

Jon

• ButterFly and David I like this

#39 ButterFly

ButterFly

Vanguard

Posted 19 May 2021 - 03:18 PM

I have to amend my post a bit.  I tried a new dark site, but there was a streetlight nearby so I had to take my glasses off and shield my face.  I forgot to bring my blockout hoodie with me.

This is my biggest dislike about glassses - the reflections off the back of the glasses and glare from the side.

I recently tried the SpotBandit, the cyclops version of the BinoBandit, and I like it a lot.  It's a flexible bat wing guard that fits my face and around my glasses.  The sky is the brightest thing at a dark site, and it's great not to see it out of the corner of my eye.  At home, the things I see are still brighter than the eyepiece, and it's clearly more useful there.

• jcj380 likes this

#40 ButterFly

ButterFly

Vanguard

Posted 19 May 2021 - 03:19 PM

I tend to leave mine on. Always prefer to have a focused view of the skies immediately available. 

Clear skies, Alan

Fireballs mostly last about a second and a half.  I'm just assuming that's how long it takes a puma to pounce.

#41 jcj380

jcj380

Vanguard

Posted 20 May 2021 - 10:30 AM

I recently tried the SpotBandit, the cyclops version of the BinoBandit, and I like it a lot.

Based on your comments, I just ordered one to try.  For $12, I'm not going to be upset if I don't like it. wink.gif

#42 ButterFly

ButterFly

Vanguard

Posted 20 May 2021 - 10:55 AM

Based on your comments, I just ordered one to try.  For $12, I'm not going to be upset if I don't like it. wink.gif

During night two of testing, I wanted to step inside for a moment.  I took it off the eyepiece and placed it on my dob moving handle like I had been doing.  I returned to find it had blown away, and I went berserk.  I had never turned on white light in an effort to find anything before.  I failed and ordered another one.  A week or so later.  A week or so later, I found the first one under my car seat for some reason.  So, I switched from BinoBandit to two SpotBandits for my APM 16x70s with individual focus.  The cross tension with the BinoBandit wsa making fine focus harder than it needed to be.

#43 Padremo

Padremo

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 20 May 2021 - 06:43 PM

Ok, maybe a silly question but would any of the eyeglass lense coatings opticians offer affect the viewing? I have anti-glare coating on my glasses to cut car headlights glare at night, and am now wondering how much light gets rejected from the eyepiece.
Should I get a pair of glasses with no coatings for astronomy or don't they make any difference?

#44 Starman1

Starman1

• Vendors

Posted 21 May 2021 - 12:13 AM

Those "anti-glare" coatings are essentially "anti-reflection" coatings and help light transmission through the glasses.

You don't want uncoated lenses for astronomy--broadband anti-reflection coatings are desirable.

• Jon Isaacs, SteveG and Padremo like this

#45 Padremo

Padremo

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 21 May 2021 - 06:18 AM

Those "anti-glare" coatings are essentially "anti-reflection" coatings and help light transmission through the glasses.
You don't want uncoated lenses for astronomy--broadband anti-reflection coatings are desirable.

Ok excellent. When I compare looking through the eyepiece with and without glasses, the image does seem slightly brighter without the glasses, but I think this might be my astigmatism as I find it a bit harder to focus without glasses. I do have the anti-glare coating.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Beginner, Eyepieces, Optics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics