•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Cutting Kaizen foam

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 DSOGabe

DSOGabe

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: El Paso, TX

Posted 04 May 2021 - 10:52 AM

I finally broke down and ordered replacement foam for my Apache case where I keep the eyepieces as its falling apart (the only negative about these cases).

I've found a couple of videos on cutting the foam but none show about making a round hole in it. Suggestions on the process?

#2 rhart426

rhart426

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Southeastern Pennsylvania

Posted 04 May 2021 - 10:58 AM

I'd just use the pointy end of a compass to mark the circle (using the pencil as the center), then saw straight down with something finely serrated.

#3 MisterDan

MisterDan

Mariner 2

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 04 May 2021 - 11:16 AM

Many "side-cut" electric can openers leave nice, sharp edges without distorting the cylinder.  One can "make" a hole saw (for use by hand or with a drill or drill press) from small-enough juice cans for 2-inch eyepieces.

I've also read about soaking open-cell foam (water), squeezing out much or most of the water, then freezing it - yielding a fairly rigid block which is better able to "handle" hole saws, Forstner bits, and/or even spade bits.  (Using spade bits to drill into dry foam is NOT a good idea! lol.gif )

- BUT... I just ran across this method, which looks promising...

https://davidneat.wo...-holes-in-foam/

Best wishes and luck.

Dan

• DSOGabe likes this

#4 junomike

junomike

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 04 May 2021 - 11:41 AM

How big/small are your eyepieces?  Most people tend to lie them down in Kaizen

#5 Binofrac

Binofrac

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Kent, UK

Posted 04 May 2021 - 12:06 PM

When I needed to make some holes in foam for my eyepieces I did it by making some small `hoops` with thick copper wire. These were put in my drill press to enable smooth vertical movements and then heated. Once hot enough it was easy to accurately plunge them into the foam and make all the holes I needed.

Eyepiece case

• MisterDan likes this

#6 Chris Westland

Chris Westland

Vostok 1

Posted 04 May 2021 - 01:02 PM

Buy small lengths of 1.25" or 2" copper pipe, and take a file to one end.   You can easily file a soft metal like copper into a sharp circular knife that will cut very neat holes in foam.

• MisterDan, milkychris, DSOGabe and 1 other like this

#7 Redhook

Redhook

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 04 May 2021 - 01:48 PM

I finally broke down and ordered replacement foam for my Apache case where I keep the eyepieces as its falling apart (the only negative about these cases).
I've found a couple of videos on cutting the foam but none show about making a round hole in it. Suggestions on the process?

If you spray the pick-n-pluck foam with plastidip after pulling out the pieces it'll last as long as your case.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
  • MisterDan likes this

#8 MisterDan

MisterDan

Mariner 2

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 04 May 2021 - 02:09 PM

Great post, Gabe, and excellent advice, Mike/Martyn/Chris/Redhook.  Many thanks to all of you.

I'm sure there will be even more good notes & suggestions to come...

Cheers.

Dan

#9 DSOGabe

DSOGabe

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: El Paso, TX

Posted 04 May 2021 - 02:56 PM

How big/small are your eyepieces?  Most people tend to lie them down in Kaizen

Need them vertical, I keep my filters visual backs, a bubble level and diagonals in there too. Kind of crowded in there

Edited by DSOGabe, 04 May 2021 - 03:02 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics