•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

AAVSO Courses - Opened Today

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 levyjoelh

levyjoelh

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Charlotte, NC

Posted 04 May 2021 - 11:01 AM

If you are like me and find it easier to trap a unicorn riding a bigfoot than register for the AAVSO classes ... today is your lucky day. 

The AAVSO opened their next two classes for registration today.  

1) How to use VStar.

2) Visual Observing Basics. 

You can register below:

https://www.aavso.or...on-2021-members

PS:  Ed - I know you are everywhere and will see this ...  Your class will not escape me this year!   I have set a reminder for Aug 3 for CCD Photometry (Part I). 

Edited by levyjoelh, 04 May 2021 - 11:02 AM.

• Ed Wiley, pbealo, smithrrlyr and 1 other like this

#2 pbealo

pbealo

Apollo

• Loc: New Hampshire

Posted 04 May 2021 - 11:50 AM

I'm waiting for Ed's class as well! I don't know why AAVSO does registration in chunks like this.

I took the Exoplanet, VStar and Vphot classes last year. I got the most out of the latter two.

Peter

• levyjoelh likes this

#3 levyjoelh

levyjoelh

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 May 2021 - 08:18 AM

Classes are still open ... 

#4 Scruffy-the-janitor

Scruffy-the-janitor

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Arizona

Posted 19 May 2021 - 08:32 PM

What are these classes like? I'm interested in a few but with work and actual uni classes I worry I may be a bit overbooked. Granted if I "fail" one of these classes I'm not too worried since it wont be on my actual transcript, I'm doing this more as a personal interest. 

#5 Ed Wiley

Ed Wiley

Vanguard

• Loc: Texas, USA

Posted 19 May 2021 - 09:09 PM

I teach CCD1. I expect participants to keep up their work daily. Minimal effort = minimal benefit. If you are not committed to keep up on a daily basis  you will not get full benefit. For some courses, like mine, you are also asked to take images; darks, bias, flats, science images, images to check linearity. If you get clouded out I can provide some images, but others don't require clear skies. You are asked to evaluate your images. You are expected to participate in discussions, etc. All this in a friendly and informal setting. After all, no participant in my course is going to get a raise for finishing the course or get fired for not finishing it. Amateur science is supposed to be fun not a drag. (BTW, no one fails, your name is simply not submitted as one who finished. But we do keep your money. smile.gif ) Also note that all instructors are unpaid volunteers. 

How much time: Over a week you would average a minimum of 1 hour/day. Some days not much, others more. Naturally this varies with course, some more. Traveling or have other commitments? I have had students who could handle the course in spite of travel and work obligations, making up work like imaging during the weekends. Others not. Depends on the person.

BTW: Its called CCD1, but mono CMOS is welcomed. Best to have photometric filters if you can manage to find them. Color CMOS needs to check with the DSLR course.

Ed

• RobboK, Scruffy-the-janitor and mikemarotta like this

#6 levyjoelh

levyjoelh

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 June 2021 - 11:10 AM

More classes opened today, 6/1/2021

#7 Rich (RLTYS)

Rich (RLTYS)

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Glen Burnie (Maryland)

Posted 01 June 2021 - 03:22 PM

Just signed up for the Photometry Using VPhot course. waytogo.gif

• levyjoelh likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics