•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Very disappointed in the response I received from a well known vendor

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

#1 pyrasanth

pyrasanth

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted Yesterday, 01:28 PM

Nearly all of us have invested a lot of money in our equipment and when it breaks it can be inconvenient and often, we are forced to rely on the support of the original vendor to get items repaired or replaced or at least offer advice on how issues might be resolved. One of the essential items in my imaging setup is the filter wheel.

My Optec IFW3 filter wheel would not return the filters to the same position when it rotates- a fundamental function naturally for decent images and calibration.

I contacted Optec repeatedly to get support with the issue and after many weeks of trying I finally got a 2 line response saying that the filter wheel is now discontinued and there is no support however I might like to try a calibration routine  (that did not work- I tried that earlier)

This is an investment in the wheel, spare filter wheels and adapters costing close to $3000.00. I understand that parts become difficult to obtain or obsolete however the filter wheel looks relatively simple although very well made.

The email demonstrates a lack of sympathy for a customer predicament, lack of good will and a contemptuous attitude. I have ordered a replacement FLI filter wheel- I know FLI will support me if I have a future issue and I will never buy anything from Optec again- I plan to sell everything serviceable in the Optec stable as the response I received has well and truly made the horses bolt.

Edited by pyrasanth, Yesterday, 01:29 PM.

#2 Sacred Heart

Sacred Heart

Viking 1

Posted Yesterday, 01:48 PM

Wow,  After buying a product, and  price should not matter - though this was expensive - to me anyway, and getting the two line response you got.  I would give them the same two word response you gave them,  good bye.   Thanks for the heads up.

Joe

#3 duck

duck

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: madera ca

Posted Yesterday, 01:57 PM

I've been in contact with Atik for 3 weeks trying to get my new filter wheel to connect to Win 10.

Buying expensive technology for a hobby is a crap shoot.  Better use the stuff a lot when it's new, because shortly down the road it'll be obsolete.

#4 Sleep Deprived

Sleep Deprived

Viking 1

• Loc: Seattle Area

Posted Yesterday, 01:59 PM

That sounds like a tough situation!!

How long have you owned this filter wheel?  I assume it is out of any warranty period.  If Optec had the spare parts, I cannot imagine they would turn down business.  If it IS under warranty, then a lawsuit should be in order (or at least the threat of one).  It may be as simple as that - they simply are unable to do the service that you need.  The form and quality of their response, on the other hand, leaves a lot to be desired.  I'd be upset, too, and don't blame you in the least for that - your only action, then, may be to do exactly what you are going to do.  Take your business elsewhere and let your wallet do the talking.

If they simply shut you down upon your request, without fully understanding the problem with their unit, then that's a REALLY bad sign.  They may be out of spare parts for the unit, but are they out of ALL the parts of that unit?  I doubt it.  Are they unable to tighten a loose bolt/fitting?  Are they unable to do an adjustment?  Are they unable to provide a new computer driver?  If you DID tell them what the problem is (in terms of hardware, not what the symptoms are), it would be bad practice to simply take your word on that.  No matter your skill/knowledge level, the manufacturer should want to diagnose the problem themselves and proceed from there.

But, hey, what do I know???

#5 Jethro7

Jethro7

Surveyor 1

• Loc: N.W. Florida

Posted Yesterday, 02:17 PM

Hello Joe,

That's a tough one. Thank you for the heads up. If I had been the Vendor I would have found you a suitable replacement. "The End" I do buisness with companies that have a proven track record for support. Fortunately there are many Vendors that will go the distance for you. But I do understand sometimes you need to go to other companies at times to get what you need. I will remember Optec.

Jethro

#6 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Cosmos

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted Yesterday, 02:21 PM

If you're going to be selling or even donating some of that stuff, just make sure to mention the issues in your ad and price accordingly... like ten cents on the dollar. I circumvent that moral dilemma by heading straight for the Town Dump, toss it in, pay the dump fee, and whistle on home. You don't want junky problematic stuff associated with your good name. I even did that with all of our GE kitchen appliances (fridge, stove, dishwasher, microwave) when they said they "~don't service my rural area~ ; is there anything else we can help you with?" My wife and I visited the local full-service Frigidaire dealer and bought all new everything and more (fridge, stove, dishwasher, microwave. washer, dryer, toaster oven, toaster... more) with my only caveat being that they service what they sell and haul the crummy GE stuff to the dump. That worked out well; my wife was and remains well-pleased.

A bit of Zen >>> Prudently assume that 20-50% of the stuff that you buy will be problematic, some to the point of useless junk. Think of it as just part of the ~overhead~ of living the good life. That makes the trip to the dump better than tolerable... actually a pleasure. Getting bent is part of the human condition; staying bent shouldn't be.    Tom

#7 acommonsoul

acommonsoul

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Hacienda Heights, Ca

Posted Yesterday, 02:40 PM

In a field were there are quite a few companies that produce competing products, one would think that a company would try their best to provide the best service to their customers as possible. Especially within a community with such an active forum base. Just this story from the OP is enough that I will never purchase from Optec....I am big on customer service.

#8 LDW47

LDW47

Cosmos

• Loc: North Bay,Ontario,Canada

Posted Yesterday, 03:09 PM

Nearly all of us have invested a lot of money in our equipment and when it breaks it can be inconvenient and often, we are forced to rely on the support of the original vendor to get items repaired or replaced or at least offer advice on how issues might be resolved. One of the essential items in my imaging setup is the filter wheel.

My Optec IFW3 filter wheel would not return the filters to the same position when it rotates- a fundamental function naturally for decent images and calibration.

I contacted Optec repeatedly to get support with the issue and after many weeks of trying I finally got a 2 line response saying that the filter wheel is now discontinued and there is no support however I might like to try a calibration routine  (that did not work- I tried that earlier)

This is an investment in the wheel, spare filter wheels and adapters costing close to $3000.00. I understand that parts become difficult to obtain or obsolete however the filter wheel looks relatively simple although very well made.

The email demonstrates a lack of sympathy for a customer predicament, lack of good will and a contemptuous attitude. I have ordered a replacement FLI filter wheel- I know FLI will support me if I have a future issue and I will never buy anything from Optec again- I plan to sell everything serviceable in the Optec stable as the response I received has well and truly made the horses bolt.

Those guys deal with thousands of customers every year so its pretty hard to get too personal and the wheel is discontinued, I assume by the manufacturer, so what do you think they should have done ? They are only the seller not the manufacturer of the item, Did you try and contact the actual manufacturer ? Now if it was only discontinued by Optec then they should have went to bat for you with the manufacturer !

#9 M11Mike

M11Mike

Apollo

• Loc: Ballston Lake, NY

Posted Yesterday, 03:10 PM

Sounds like the "customer support" I received from iOptron (basically none) when my brand new Alt-Az Pro ($1,500) was NOT working from day one.  Hard to believe in today's highly competitive marketplace - well knows like these two - would offer basically NO CUSTOMER SUPPORT. 

M11Mike      

#10 Supernova74

Supernova74

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Epsom surrey near (London)

Posted Yesterday, 03:17 PM

I’m sorry to hear about that and the problems you have been having associated around your filter wheel and a pretty poor show regarding your vendor to be perfectly honest!?,I bet you thay was more communicative with yourself when thay originally sold the product to you.is the part you need still under manufactures warranty how long have you had it etc and is it 100% discontinued which is very hard to believe in this modern age!?,as from what you have been describing it pretty much sounds like wham! Bam! Thankyou Ma’am all done and dusted with a couple of sentences exspecting you to run along with your tail between your legs,and brushed off the initial problem at hand underneath the carpet which is unacceptable.so perhaps lay on the pressure a little bit then if need be rank it up a notch or two and simperly demand some answers as $3000 is a lot of money however to be truthful shouldn’t make a difference if you was spending only $30 as the vendor is the first route of call if anything goes wrong generally within reason if the item wasn’t ten years old or something and thay should have a duty of responsibility and simple level of care and good old customer services which admittedly is a rarity in this day and age.

#11 WadeH237

WadeH237

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Ellensburg, WA

Posted Yesterday, 11:27 PM

Those guys deal with thousands of customers every year so its pretty hard to get too personal and the wheel is discontinued, I assume by the manufacturer, so what do you think they should have done ? They are only the seller not the manufacturer of the item, Did you try and contact the actual manufacturer ? Now if it was only discontinued by Optec then they should have went to bat for you with the manufacturer !

I am pretty sure that Optec is the manufacturer in this case.

#12 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Carlsbad Ca

Posted Today, 05:28 AM

OK. Sorry to hear that a member is unhappy about the support received for a no longer made items. I think that this thread has run it's course and no new information is being posted. So I'm going to lock it.

Rgrds-Ross

#13 MJB87

MJB87

Mercury-Atlas

• Moderators
  • Loc: Talbot County, MD & Washington, DC

Posted Today, 11:55 AM

I am posting an edited response from the vendor in question, at his request.

Mr. Shelton (pyrasanth), I'm sorry you found my response demonstrated "a lack of sympathy for a customer predicament, lack of good will and a contemptuous attitude." This was not my intent.My actual response to you was:

Mark,

You can try the centering routine for the IFW-3 controller though it does not offer the ability to use different centering adjustments for each filter – only a general filter centering offset applied to all filter slots. Unfortunately we have discontinued the IFW-3 and are no longer performing any firmware updates or improvements.

Jeff

You may recall several years back that you owned a Celestron EdgeHD C11 in which you stated one of our products damaged your primary mirror. In that instance we went above and beyond by offering to replace your OTA at our cost in addition to replacing our product. Instead, you asked us to order your a new C-14 EdgeHD and offered to pay the difference of $2,400 which you did.

However, when we were charged a much higher shipping and insurance cost for the larger and heavier package to your address in the United Kingdom, you refused to reimburse us and we were out $752.85 in actual shipping costs in addition to our purchase price for the replacement OTA.

Regarding the IFW-3, we evaluated your system in early 2018 after it had "fallen off the back of the telescope". At that time we had charged you for only an hour of labor, though I personally spent much more time than that trying to repair the damage. To be honest, at this point in time we are so busy that I do not have time to devote to working further on this filter wheel.

Jeff Dickerman
Optec, Inc., President

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics