•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Help with asteroid/comet identification

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 dgpilot

dgpilot

Ranger 4

• topic starter
  • Loc: Northern California

Posted Yesterday, 02:02 PM

Hi all,

Can anyone help out in identifying this asteroid?

asteroid.gif

Single Fit file: https://www.mediafir...m_0071.fit/file

Capture time: 2021-May-03 07:18:00 (UT)

R.A.=12:27:08, Dec.=13 01 59 (center of fits)

Center of Gif image:

Center (RA, Dec): (187.001, 13.432)
Center (RA, hms): 12h 28m 00.246s
Center (Dec, dms): +13° 25' 54.295"

Thanks and best regards!

• elmiko likes this

#2 ButterFly

ButterFly

Surveyor 1

Posted Yesterday, 02:30 PM

You already have the RA/Dec and time.  Estimate its speed using the trail and your plate scale, then do a search on AstDyS based on RA/Dec and speed.  Leave room for motion and changes in motion.  This only works for recently observed stuff because they are moving, and you can't search past today..  If you get a rudimentary orbit (which can also help distinguish a satellite), you can search by its orbital parameters.  If AstDyS fails, try NeoDyS, the database for closer and newly discovered near earth stuff.

However, it looks like it's de-flaring toward the end.  Asteroids don't usually flare except around opposition.  If it's not in either system, it's probably a satellite.  Searching satellites requires an orbit because of parallax.  Instead, just check the satellite tracking sites for your time and location in that area of the sky.

#3 MikeK314

MikeK314

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted Yesterday, 03:02 PM

I used MPChecker (you might want to learn how to use it), and it only shows one asteroid (brighter than mag. 20) within 5' of your GIF center:

=========

The following objects, brighter than V = 20, were found in the 5.0-arcminute region around R.A. = 12 28 00, Decl. = +13 25 54 (J2000.0) on 2021 05 03.30 UT:

(23608) Alpiapuane      12 27 59.8 +13 25 50  17.3   0.1W   0.1S    11-     5+   23o  None needed at this time.

=========

It's magnitude (17.3) seems reasonable, and its x/y speed (-11, 5 arcminutes/hr in RA/Dec) looks about right, except that it's the negative of the trajectory shown by your GIF.  Are you sure your GIF isn't running backwards in time?  If it is then I think this is the answer, but if the GIF is correctly running forward then ignore everything I just wrote...

Edited by MikeK314, Yesterday, 03:05 PM.

• dgpilot, t_image and ButterFly like this

#4 John Rogers

John Rogers

Viking 1

Posted Yesterday, 03:17 PM

Here is the link for the MPChecker tool that MikeK314 referenced: If you enter a value larger than 5', then more objects will be reported.  

#5 Tapio

Tapio

Skylab

• -----
  • Loc: Tampere, Finland

Posted Yesterday, 03:17 PM

How long time frame does this gif cover?

#6 t_image

t_image

Gemini

• -----

Posted Yesterday, 04:16 PM

I used MPChecker (you might want to learn how to use it), and it only shows one asteroid (brighter than mag. 20) within 5' of your GIF center:

Nice Mike!

I double checked the plot and viewed 23608 animation and it's in the vicinity(5') (data has it 4.9'  towards ursa m)about that mag.

Good thought GIF reversed, I've seen that before from others but don't figure how it happens-maybe people select from bottom up and it goes last(1st selected)=first in gif timeline?

Because it's close somewhat to the Clarke Belt I checked for inclined geos drifting and molinyas but not a satellite tracked by USAF close.

Not sure the typical residuals on asteroids orbit data.

#7 dgpilot

dgpilot

Ranger 4

• topic starter
  • Loc: Northern California

Posted Yesterday, 04:43 PM

Thanks for the answers! I had to re-check the files but I can confirm that the trajectory was reversed in the process of making the gif.

How long time frame does this gif cover?

This was about 2 hours. The next night after another set of captures, it was still in the frame and I could see two small streaks in the final integration, which is how I noticed it in the first place.

• ButterFly likes this

#8 ButterFly

ButterFly

Surveyor 1

Posted Yesterday, 04:58 PM

So quick.  MPChecker is definitely bookmarked now.  Is this the link you all were referring to?

#9 MikeK314

MikeK314

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted Yesterday, 07:06 PM

Hmm...I don't know what that link is, exactly, but the "real" MPChecker is at the Minor Planet Center, here: https://www.minorpla...bin/checkmp.cgi.

• John Rogers and ButterFly like this

#10 ButterFly

ButterFly

Surveyor 1

Posted Yesterday, 09:47 PM

Hmm...I don't know what that link is, exactly, but the "real" MPChecker is at the Minor Planet Center, here: https://www.minorpla...bin/checkmp.cgi.

I hate googling things sometimes.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics