•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Hyperstar & Starizona Filter Drawer Backfocus

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Jujubean

Jujubean

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 04 May 2021 - 02:16 PM

Hello All,

I have just purchased a Starizona M42 Filter Drawer for use with my Hyperstar C8 and ASI294MC Pro Camera. I believe the M42 threads should thread into the 11mm adapter that comes with the 294. As for the Hyperstar to Filter Drawer, is there an adapter I'll need to connect those two? Will I need any spacers to reach the correct backfocus? Here is the filter slider purchased https://optcorp.com/...stem-m42-thread

Thank you, Julian

#2 Jim Waters

Jim Waters

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA

Posted 04 May 2021 - 03:06 PM

Have you called Starizona and talked to them?

#3 Jinux

Jinux

Ranger 4

• Loc: San Jose, CA

Posted 04 May 2021 - 03:25 PM

You may be able to find correct filter slider from Starizona's web page.

https://starizona.co...=37744583999650

Choose your Hyperstar, Filterslider adapter and most importantly "ZWO cooled" on camera type to get correct backfocus with filter slider.

• Jujubean likes this

#4 hornjs

hornjs

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Billings, MT

Posted 04 May 2021 - 03:25 PM

Hello All,

I have just purchased a Starizona M42 Filter Drawer for use with my Hyperstar C8 and ASI294MC Pro Camera. I believe the M42 threads should thread into the 11mm adapter that comes with the 294. As for the Hyperstar to Filter Drawer, is there an adapter I'll need to connect those two? Will I need any spacers to reach the correct backfocus? Here is the filter slider purchased https://optcorp.com/...stem-m42-thread

Thank you, Julian

JuJu I have the exact same setup on a 8edgeHD.  The connection is ASI 294mcpro >>>  11mm adapter (came with the 294) >>>> starizon filter drawer >>>>> hyperstar.   The filter drawer is male on one side for the 11mm adapter (which is fem/fem), and female on the other to take the hyperstar.   I was initially confused when my hyperstar came without an adapter, and when I called Dean he said to use the 11.  That achieves the correct backfocus.  Hope that helps.  

• Jujubean likes this

#5 Jujubean

Jujubean

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 04 May 2021 - 04:14 PM

Thank you for the replies.

hornjs, so you thread the filter drawer directly into the Hyperstar and get the right backfocus? If that's the case then I guess I can use it without another adapter smile.gif

Thank you, Julian

• hornjs likes this

#6 hornjs

hornjs

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 04 May 2021 - 09:48 PM

Julian, yes drawer right onto HS, then camera with the 11 on the other side.  

• Jujubean likes this

#7 const

const

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: WA

Posted 05 May 2021 - 12:25 AM

Incidentally I decided to buy filter slider too today and emailed Starizona for clarifications. Their response was a bit different from what you all say, sorry smile.gif

You need a Hyperstar camera adapter (HS8-FS-Adapter) and the filter slider itself (SFS-COMP-42).

The 11mm F/F adapter always stays on the camera to get it to 17.5mm backfocus common to many ZWO cameras.

Notice, you can install a 2" filter into the non-slider camera adapter if you purchased that option. To change or remove it you need to unscrew the top half of the adapter which means unmount the camera from the scope.

Edited by const, 05 May 2021 - 12:25 AM.

• hornjs likes this

#8 hornjs

hornjs

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 05 May 2021 - 12:40 PM

const, when I ordered my HS, i specified zwo cooled, and additional filter drawer.  When it came in the mail, the filter drawer was already attached to the HS.  maybe thee is an adapter there I cannot see, I will look when I get home.  Maybe If they build it as a unit specifically for your camera combination it comes correct?   Now I am confused.  Whatever they told me, my images came out pretty good, but have only used it a couple times so far.  

#9 const

const

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: WA

Posted 05 May 2021 - 01:53 PM

const, when I ordered my HS, i specified zwo cooled, and additional filter drawer.  When it came in the mail, the filter drawer was already attached to the HS.  maybe thee is an adapter there I cannot see, I will look when I get home.  Maybe If they build it as a unit specifically for your camera combination it comes correct?   Now I am confused.  Whatever they told me, my images came out pretty good, but have only used it a couple times so far.  

Sure if you purchase the option with filter slider it comes with all needed adapters and spacers. Yours likely has an adapter between HS and slider. All the involved parts have different threads, half of which are not common in astro instruments. It has its pros and cons, but at least you won't be able to connect parts in wrong order or miss something.

• hornjs likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics