•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Help with Vintage Celestron C5 Table Top Tripod

Celestron Catadioptric Classic Mount
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 woodsman

woodsman

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter
  • Loc: Colorado Springs, CO

Posted 04 May 2021 - 03:11 PM

Recently I purchased a C5 Tri-Color 1972 Scope, and it came with the very original table top tripod that Celestron Offered back in the early days of the Orange Tube scopes.  There is very little information on these tripods but I know it is missing the mounting plate.  I was hoping that someone here might have one complete of which they could take a photo, and post it.  Ideally it would be nice to have the measurements on the plate so that I can make one out of wood, and then paint it to the correct color.  I'm planning on repainting the scope with the appropriate colors and bring it back to original looks (or close to it).

Any help is appreciated.  Thanks in advance! 

Attached Thumbnails

• 40.gif
  • 20.gif

• astro140, Terra Nova, Kasmos and 1 other like this

#2 Kasmos

Kasmos

Soyuz

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 04 May 2021 - 03:45 PM

Recently I purchased a C5 Tri-Color 1972 Scope, and it came with the very original table top tripod that Celestron Offered back in the early days of the Orange Tube scopes.  There is very little information on these tripods but I know it is missing the mounting plate.  I was hoping that someone here might have one complete of which they could take a photo, and post it.  Ideally it would be nice to have the measurements on the plate so that I can make one out of wood, and then paint it to the correct color.  I'm planning on repainting the scope with the appropriate colors and bring it back to original looks (or close to it).

Any help is appreciated.  Thanks in advance! 

Check this one on Facebook. It's length is cut but just uses a bar to hold it to the tripod.

https://www.facebook...8a-2be91a2ec717

Edit, I just realized you need the plate that attaches to the base of the scope.

Edited by Kasmos, 04 May 2021 - 03:48 PM.

#3 Richard O'Neill

Richard O'Neill

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 04 May 2021 - 04:15 PM

A picture of a C8 tabletop wedge. The 5" wedge is of the same design.

https://www.cloudyni...-1565134197.jpg

#4 woodsman

woodsman

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 04 May 2021 - 05:13 PM

Check this one on Facebook. It's length is cut but just uses a bar to hold it to the tripod.

https://www.facebook...8a-2be91a2ec717

Edit, I just realized you need the plate that attaches to the base of the scope.

Thanks.  I didn't realize that there was that kind of mount.  Very interesting.

#5 woodsman

woodsman

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 04 May 2021 - 05:18 PM

A picture of a C8 tabletop wedge. The 5" wedge is of the same design.

https://www.cloudyni...-1565134197.jpg

Thanks, that is a big help.  I haven't ever seen one of those plates before.  I was wondering if it would be round.  That gives me a good working image.  I can make that and then do some modifications if needed.

That image answers the questions I had about it.  I appreciate your help. 

Edited by woodsman, 04 May 2021 - 05:20 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Celestron, Catadioptric, Classic, Mount

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics