•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What classics do you want before you die?

• Please log in to reply
144 replies to this topic

#126 jcruse64

jcruse64

Viking 1

• Loc: Paducah, KY USA

Posted 27 May 2021 - 02:35 PM

One of Galileo's actual work scopes would be a pretty cool addition to the collection.

• Vesper818 and steve t like this

#127 Paul Hyndman

Paul Hyndman

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Connecticut Shoreline USA

Posted 27 May 2021 - 04:36 PM

One of Galileo's actual work scopes would be a pretty cool addition to the collection.

I hear you!

I've got a few early Joseph von Fraunhofer refractors which conjure up thoughts of the master himself perhaps having QC'ed or gazed through them... or the many other eyes that have enjoyed them through the years.

• steve t, Terra Nova, Bomber Bob and 4 others like this

#128 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: 39.07°N, 229m AMSL, USA

Posted 27 May 2021 - 07:49 PM

I hear you!

I've got a few early Joseph von Fraunhofer refractors which conjure up thoughts of the master himself perhaps having QC'ed or gazed through them... or the many other eyes that have enjoyed them through the years.

Now that is really cool Paul! Very, very! I would love to see some pics!

• Defenderslideguitar and jkmccarthy like this

#129 jcruse64

jcruse64

Viking 1

• Loc: Paducah, KY USA

Posted 28 May 2021 - 07:56 AM

Now that is really cool Paul! Very, very! I would love to see some pics!

Yes to this, please!!!

#130 LukaszLu

LukaszLu

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Poland

Posted 29 May 2021 - 05:26 AM

Dear Friends, the statements made in this thread are unreliable. For a simple reason: the appetite grows with eating ... :-)

• steve t likes this

#131 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

• topic starter
  • Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 29 May 2021 - 07:32 AM

I also want a 6" Unitron if someone will take it outside for me.

• pbealo, steve t and Defenderslideguitar like this

#132 ccwemyss

ccwemyss

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 29 May 2021 - 11:23 AM

I hope that before I die, I will have reached a point of being glad to redistribute my classics to people who will enjoy them. 

Chip W. 

• L. Regira, pbealo, Terra Nova and 1 other like this

#133 kansas skies

kansas skies

Apollo

• Loc: The middle of nowhere, USA

Posted 29 May 2021 - 12:02 PM

Insofar as telescopes are concerned, I completely stopped looking after purchasing a late-seventies 3.5" Questar Standard, which was my own personal "holy grail". Not only has it out-performed expectations, but the purchase was very timely, since back problems forced me to leave my larger scopes in the house for quite some time. Now that my back has healed sufficiently to allow for moving the big scopes, I still find myself grabbing the diminutive Questar due to its ease of setup and use. At this point, I'm more looking to thin the herd a bit, although I'm really in no hurry to do so. My latest thoughts are to keep the C100E refractor, along with its companion 12" Meade SCT OTA. I will admit that I've thought many times about parting with both, but somehow, I just can't bring myself to go down that path. I'm also thinking of hanging on to my Tasco 9VR, if for no other reason than casual use with the Lunt Solar Wedge. With this in mind, I'm now thinking of parting with my late-seventies C8 and early-eighties C90 Astro. I'm not sure about my C80, but I might let it go as well, although I'll probably hang on to the Polaris mount.

In reading back through this post, I'm not sure if I answered your question or not, so I'll just add that I would dearly love to own a mint condition Harley Davidson knucklehead before I finally meet my demise.

Bill

• Terra Nova, Bomber Bob and Kasmos like this

#134 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 01 June 2021 - 11:49 AM

Well I might as well play this game before it’s over. I’ve had a lot of scopes over the years and pretty much fulfilled my dreams and have either had or have all the ones now that I’ve ever realistically dreamt of having. However, there is one scope that stands out along with a particular mount. That would be an AP Starfire 102 F8 triplet on a Losmandy G11. Never had an AP and I’ve never had a Los; I would truly like to live that dream and so I may be on the lookout for such over the next year or so. I’ll kind of think of it as my lifetime achievement award to myself. ;)

Edited by Terra Nova, 01 June 2021 - 11:52 AM.

• steve t, kansas skies, Bomber Bob and 1 other like this

#135 SteveGR

SteveGR

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Western Michigan

Posted 01 June 2021 - 11:53 AM

Well I might as well play this game before it’s over. I’ve had a lot of scopes over the years and pretty much fulfilled my dreams and have either had or have all the ones now that I have dreamt of. However, one stands out along with a particular mount. That would be an AP Starfire 102 F8 triplet on a Losmandy G11. Never had an AP and I’ve never had a Los; I would truly like to live that dream and so I may be on the lookout for such over the next year or so.

Were you ever on the list?  I think there may be a technicality with an AP scope.  If you count from when you order it, it may be a Classic by the time you receive it. undecided.gif 

• blakestree and Terra Nova like this

#136 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 01 June 2021 - 12:01 PM

Nope, never on the list. They were made in the late 80s early 90s and I had two young daughters to raise and educate back then. They do occasionally come up for sale tho. 

#137 blakestree

blakestree

Ranger 4

• Loc: Savannah, GA

Posted 01 June 2021 - 01:49 PM

I want some Pentax, almost any Pentax. And, godelescher's Carton. grin.gif

• Bowlerhat likes this

#138 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

• topic starter
  • Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 01 June 2021 - 06:22 PM

I have had it all just about.  I know if someone gave me a 7" or 8" AP i would never use it more than a few times as the set up of a 6" ED and AP 800 mount took way too many trips.   I just want one more shot at a fork mounted C14 and a Meade 7" ED since both of mine were so bad and  i feel cheated.

• Terra Nova and Bomber Bob like this

#139 kansas skies

kansas skies

Apollo

• Loc: The middle of nowhere, USA

Posted 01 June 2021 - 06:55 PM

Well I might as well play this game before it’s over. I’ve had a lot of scopes over the years and pretty much fulfilled my dreams and have either had or have all the ones now that I’ve ever realistically dreamt of having. However, there is one scope that stands out along with a particular mount. That would be an AP Starfire 102 F8 triplet on a Losmandy G11. Never had an AP and I’ve never had a Los; I would truly like to live that dream and so I may be on the lookout for such over the next year or so. I’ll kind of think of it as my lifetime achievement award to myself. wink.gif

Sometime in the late eighties or early nineties, my boss (a multi-zillionaire) tried very hard to talk me into buying a 5" AP Starfire. Looking back, I think he just wanted to borrow it. Of course, I never bought the scope as I faced a couple of fairly major obstacles. First, my boss knew full-well how much I made (which was not nearly enough), and, if I remember correctly, there was close to a year-long waiting period to even get in line to place an order. Of course, all this accomplished was to make me want one even more...

Bill

• steve t and Terra Nova like this

#140 RSX11M+

RSX11M+

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 01 June 2021 - 11:30 PM

If you could have a shot at any telescope before death what would it be?

My choice... She's a derelict, never retrieved or put out of her misery when they were through with her. If sold today, the bill of sale disposition would read: "AS IS WHERE IS" and the cost of shipping would be nothing less than... astronomical.

Not a telescope to look through, but a piece of history that seems almost unknown today except for that pesky acronym attached to the 350,000+ objects which bear her name.

IRAS_overview.jpg  [ JPL, CaltechWikipedia]

Before Hubble, before WEB - there was IRAS. Flown in 1983, the mission lasted only as long as it's coolant. But in that time it changed, everything.

Recently in the NEWS for nearly colliding with GGSE-4. [YouTube]

Now the obvious question would be "Why not Hubble?" - Hubble now seems likely to outlive me, and I would never interfere with that. I had entertained the notion of proposing a serious mission to retrieve Hubble when the time came, instead of roasting some marshmallows. There's little chance that plan would involve me, but rescuing IRAS seems doable.

A sun-synchronous orbit isn't too inaccessible, is it?

When WEB does finally launch, it's IRAS I'll be thinking of, NGST's true ancestor.

• jcruse64 likes this

#141 SteveGR

SteveGR

Apollo

• -----

Posted 02 June 2021 - 11:05 AM

My choice... She's a derelict, never retrieved or put out of her misery when they were through with her. If sold today, the bill of sale disposition would read: "AS IS WHERE IS" and the cost of shipping would be nothing less than... astronomical.

Not a telescope to look through, but a piece of history that seems almost unknown today except for that pesky acronym attached to the 350,000+ objects which bear her name.

attachicon.gifIRAS_overview.jpg  [ JPL, CaltechWikipedia]

Before Hubble, before WEB - there was IRAS. Flown in 1983, the mission lasted only as long as it's coolant. But in that time it changed, everything.

Recently in the NEWS for nearly colliding with GGSE-4. [YouTube]

Now the obvious question would be "Why not Hubble?" - Hubble now seems likely to outlive me, and I would never interfere with that. I had entertained the notion of proposing a serious mission to retrieve Hubble when the time came, instead of roasting some marshmallows. There's little chance that plan would involve me, but rescuing IRAS seems doable.

A sun-synchronous orbit isn't too inaccessible, is it?

When WEB does finally launch, it's IRAS I'll be thinking of, NGST's true ancestor.

You could put an offer in on Spitzer. smile.gif  Much newer and only turned off for like a year and a half. 

It will be interesting to see how much longer Hubble will last.  It's been a long time since the last servicing mission and unless things change, there will never be another.  There have already been a few hair raising moments.  And they just announced the other day that James Webb has been delayed again so hopefully it can struggle on till or past then.  If Webb gets out to L2 and doesn't work, there will be heads that roll.

• RSX11M+ likes this

#142 RSX11M+

RSX11M+

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 02 June 2021 - 02:41 PM

You could put an offer in on Spitzer. smile.gif  Much newer and only turned off for like a year and a half. 

It will be interesting to see how much longer Hubble will last.  It's been a long time since the last servicing mission and unless things change, there will never be another.  There have already been a few hair raising moments.  And they just announced the other day that James Webb has been delayed again so hopefully it can struggle on till or past then.  If Webb gets out to L2 and doesn't work, there will be heads that roll.

Niet Interested - but please, you go ahead.

Spitzer or for that matter Herschel, Chandra (X-Ray) et al never captured my heart as IRAS did. Perhaps it was being aware of IRAS' birthing problems - the tiger teams, the Volometers... or maybe it's just that I like the underdog?  IRAS has fallen off many popular "Space Telescope" lists, and that bothers me. I get the sense that if IRAS were stolen from orbit, history wouldn't mind since she's already been culled from it. (Beware Hubble... is this your future?)

Besides... somebody mentioned "Classic" in the OP's thread title. Being a Dinosaur myself, I can't consider anything done in the 90's as "Old" quite yet, let alone Classic. (Used to be Pre-'64 was required to be considered "Classic" flirt.gif  but I changed recently to include the '70s)

I share your technology trepidation on Webb. However, there is hope that NASA might get it right on the first try this time. (call me a sucker) Launching it on an Ariane 5 isn't my idea of a party either, but that concrete's already been poured and cured. Changing THAT would translate to YEARS.

Nope - it's IRAS for me. Where the heck am I going to put it without getting caught...? 

#143 SteveGR

SteveGR

Apollo

• -----

Posted 07 June 2021 - 01:19 PM

Niet Interested - but please, you go ahead.

Spitzer or for that matter Herschel, Chandra (X-Ray) et al never captured my heart as IRAS did. Perhaps it was being aware of IRAS' birthing problems - the tiger teams, the Volometers... or maybe it's just that I like the underdog?  IRAS has fallen off many popular "Space Telescope" lists, and that bothers me. I get the sense that if IRAS were stolen from orbit, history wouldn't mind since she's already been culled from it. (Beware Hubble... is this your future?)

Besides... somebody mentioned "Classic" in the OP's thread title. Being a Dinosaur myself, I can't consider anything done in the 90's as "Old" quite yet, let alone Classic. (Used to be Pre-'64 was required to be considered "Classic" flirt.gif  but I changed recently to include the '70s)

I share your technology trepidation on Webb. However, there is hope that NASA might get it right on the first try this time. (call me a sucker) Launching it on an Ariane 5 isn't my idea of a party either, but that concrete's already been poured and cured. Changing THAT would translate to YEARS.

Nope - it's IRAS for me. Where the heck am I going to put it without getting caught...? 

Hubble won't have a parking orbit, on the last service mission they installed a unit for de-orbiting IIRC. 

Webb's a bit of a sore spot for me, because it's ballooning budget killed off other very worthy space telescope missions including Terrestrial Planet Finder.  So it had darn well better work. 

As to the dream scope part of this, I've thought about getting an older long focal length Newtonian off and on for a lot of years.  I think I've decided to go old school and make one this winter, I would figure the mirror myself and put it on a version of DavidG's  pipe mount.  It will probably all end in tears, but it will be a fun project. smile.gif

Edited by SteveGR, 07 June 2021 - 01:21 PM.

• Bonco2, Bomber Bob, jcruse64 and 1 other like this

#144 RSX11M+

RSX11M+

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 08 June 2021 - 01:16 AM

I was well aware of the plan and provisions to de-orbit Hubble at end of mission. (a travesty IMHO)  It's an economic decision as well as one dictated by international agreements. (hence the comment about having a Marshmallow roast as it burns)  I have come to believe there is a vested interest in seeing Hubble "End" her mission, rather than continue a perpetual drain on a future budget that's clearly being sold as belonging to WEBB as Hubble's named "Successor".  One example of an open-ended unforeseen budgetary drain would be Voyager - well worth anything it's cost, but I don't think everyone agrees.

However, my admonition about "Hubble's Future" was meant to harken to how IRAS' data contribution has been culled from public awareness and "history". It's unthinkable today, that Hubble's contributions could be so easily wiped away, but so was IRAS' in her time.

A long FL Newt is a fun idea. Good luck with that. Certainly can't get much more "Classic". How large are you thinking? Must be something special about it to qualify as a "Bucket List" item.

-Clear Skies

#145 SteveGR

SteveGR

Apollo

• -----

Posted 09 June 2021 - 12:01 PM

I was well aware of the plan and provisions to de-orbit Hubble at end of mission. (a travesty IMHO)  It's an economic decision as well as one dictated by international agreements. (hence the comment about having a Marshmallow roast as it burns)  I have come to believe there is a vested interest in seeing Hubble "End" her mission, rather than continue a perpetual drain on a future budget that's clearly being sold as belonging to WEBB as Hubble's named "Successor".  One example of an open-ended unforeseen budgetary drain would be Voyager - well worth anything it's cost, but I don't think everyone agrees.

However, my admonition about "Hubble's Future" was meant to harken to how IRAS' data contribution has been culled from public awareness and "history". It's unthinkable today, that Hubble's contributions could be so easily wiped away, but so was IRAS' in her time.

A long FL Newt is a fun idea. Good luck with that. Certainly can't get much more "Classic". How large are you thinking? Must be something special about it to qualify as a "Bucket List" item.

-Clear Skies

Probably an 8".  Much larger than that and a dob form factor would make more sense.   What makes it appealing for me as a project is that if I do the proper care and testing as I go, the optical quality is really a function of my patience.  So, I figure I will keep working on it until it is really first class.  I live in a cloudy state, with often questionable seeing, so in the times when I have good conditions, I want to fully take advantage of it.  I've used enough really good optics now that I don't want to settle for "okay".

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics