•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Should I buy this QHY163m?

CCD
  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Luca Amerio

Luca Amerio

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 May 2021 - 03:32 PM

Hi everybody.

I have been wondering the passage from my DSLR to a CCD for quite a long time. After a bit of thinking and reading, I did lay my eyes on the ASI 1600mm.

However I have been offered a used QHY163m for 800€.

The price sounds very good to me and I know the two use exactly the same sensor. However, reading some posts, I’m a bit concerned about the problems of the QHY camera with 1.25” filters and the need of using larger (and more expensive) filters that could nullify the money saved.

In particular I have a 80mm f/4.3 refractor and a old orange tube C8 (f/10).

Are my fears founded? Is this a good deal? Do you think this would be a good sensor for these two scopes?

Thank you very very much for your opinions and help

Luca

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Luca Amerio, 04 May 2021 - 03:35 PM.

#2 Dwight J

Dwight J

Soyuz

• Loc: Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada

Posted 04 May 2021 - 09:03 PM

I have one and I use 1 1/4” filters.  The vignetting is in the extreme corners and less than I get from the off axis guider.  Probably about the amount of field you would lose in dithering which you crop out anyway.  In hindsight I wished Zi had bought the colour version. 

• Luca Amerio likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: CCD

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics