•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Another odd guiding question

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 dcm_guitar

dcm_guitar

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 May 2021 - 04:10 PM

I've noticed this happens on both mounts I've used (iOptron CEM40 & iOptron CEM70).....

When I leave my mount and OTA while they are guiding and collecting data eventually my computer screen goes dark.  I've got Windows configured to NOT sleep, but I will allow the display to go dark.  

When I get back to computer and turn on the display (tap the space bar or perform a gentle swipe across the mouse pad) there will always immediately follow a large excursion in my PHD2 guiding.  Initially, I thought I was jostling cables or mistakenly bumping into the mount.  However, I have very carefully experimented with this and it is definitely not caused by me making contact with the pier or mount and it is not caused by me jostling the cables.  There is is definitely some type of interaction with my computer display turning on and a large guiding excursion (ALWAYS in RA and almost always in DEC as well).

Has anyone noticed this phenomena?  Any suggestions?  My computer is absolutely not going to sleep.  I hate the idea of leaving the screen on all the time due to the battery drain, but this may be the only solution.

Thoughts?

#2 Dynan

Dynan

Fly Me to the Moon

• Vendors
  • Loc: NOLA

Posted 04 May 2021 - 04:18 PM

On my laptop (Win10), I set sleep and display to 'Never Sleep/Turn Off'. When I close the cover, the monitor goes blank. When I open it, it displays again without any influence on the sequence.

I suspect any (even small) interrupt call needed to start the display again is interrupting the data from PHD2., and takes a while to settle down.

#3 dcm_guitar

dcm_guitar

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 May 2021 - 04:25 PM

Thanks.  However, I have my configuration exactly as you describe.  The computer NEVER goes to sleep.  The display goes blank, but the computer is not sleeping.  When the display turns back on (the computer was not sleeping) there is a large guiding excursion.

Edited by dcm_guitar, 04 May 2021 - 04:26 PM.

#4 rubmetoasty

rubmetoasty

Lift Off

• Loc: Lake Tahoe

Posted 04 May 2021 - 04:35 PM

It will more than likely be your USB ports being suspended.

Pull up the Control Panel on the laptop --> Hardware and Sound --> Power Options --> Change Plan Settings --> Advanced Power settings

Look for USB Settings and ensure that USB selective suspend is DISABLED.

• elmiko, John O'Grady, 42itous1 and 1 other like this

#5 GR-Amateur

GR-Amateur

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 04 May 2021 - 05:38 PM

Many new laptops are also having a USB port that stays always powered even after you shut it down (has a little battery icon. Is for charging purposes while laptop is off). This port it might get into charging mode for some reason and loose drivers’ connection.. “thinking” that is not longer needed for data transmission while it appears active.

#6 dcm_guitar

dcm_guitar

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 May 2021 - 06:08 PM

It will more than likely be your USB ports being suspended.

Pull up the Control Panel on the laptop --> Hardware and Sound --> Power Options --> Change Plan Settings --> Advanced Power settings

Look for USB Settings and ensure that USB selective suspend is DISABLED.

Thanks!!

Unfortunately my advanced power settings did not have a USB option in the list.

I ended up going into the device manager selecting all of the USB Host Controller and USB Root Hub options and unchecked the "Allow this computer to turn off this device to save power" option in the Power Management tab (right click each one and select "Properties", then go to the Power Management Tab)

I hope this works.

• Dynan and Desertanimal like this

#7 Dynan

Dynan

Fly Me to the Moon

• Vendors

Posted 04 May 2021 - 06:32 PM

Please let us know how well your solution works. This subject has come up numerous times and may aid others. We always appreciate follow-up!

#8 dcm_guitar

dcm_guitar

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 May 2021 - 12:54 PM

Following up....changing the settings did not help.  My guiding goes fine, but when I swipe the mouse or tap the space bar to turn the monitor back on I get very large excursions in RA & DEC.  It's darn odd.

#9 Dynan

Dynan

Fly Me to the Moon

• Vendors

Posted 07 May 2021 - 06:03 AM

Did you try leaving the monitor on and just closing the (lap)top

#10 dcm_guitar

dcm_guitar

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 May 2021 - 12:46 PM

Did you try leaving the monitor on and just closing the (lap)top

Why would I do that when I can buy something new and spend more money?  ;-)

I ordered a mini PC a few days ago and got it up and running last night.  I then used remote desktop from inside my house to look at my guiding performance.  This means the computer controlling the guiding never shut down a monitor (because it has no monitor).  There were no RA & DEC excursions resulting from the monitor turning back on.

I think I like this setup.  It's nice having no wires connected to my laptop.  I think I can do some tidier cable management on my scope/tripod with this setup.  Plus, I can stay inside where it's more comfortable.  I HIGHLY recommend this.

• Dynan likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics