•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Kase Alyn Starglow Filter

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MGW

MGW

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Phila PA

Posted 04 May 2021 - 05:04 PM

Does anyone out there have any comments on this “Akira Fujii” effect filter. The source (Kase) and Alyn Wallace seem highly reputable. The item is “out of stock.”

#2 oneredpanther

oneredpanther

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 05 May 2021 - 10:39 AM

Honestly I think it looks like garbage.

You're just blurring the highlights in the image - destroying data irreparably in the process. If you want that effect just do Select Color Range then Guassian Blur in photoshop. 

To my eyes the Starglow makes pictures look like they've been run through an amateur instagram filter.  

I feel like no serious astronomer would use it. 

#3 2ghouls

2ghouls

Apollo

Posted 05 May 2021 - 11:31 AM

I strongly suspect the Kase Starglow Alyn Wallace Special Edition is a re-branding of their Kase Astroblast which B&H does have in stock: https://www.bhphotov...last_100mm.html $199 seems like a lot, but for a hardened glass filter, I guess that's reasonable. I want to test a bunch when I have time.

In terms of 100mm square diffusion filters, I'd suggest starting with the Cokin Diffuser series, which are lot more affordable since they are resin, not glass: https://www.bhphotov..._1_Effect.html 

1 will just give a soft glow on the bright stars and is very nice. I have a test somewhere on Cygnus, but can't find it at the moment.

If you want a strong effect, the Kenko Pro Softon A (W) is widely available, and you can can get it in 82mm screw mount, which is easy to adapt to any lens with step up rings. I really like the effect for constellation shots, and do think it is one of the better 'Akira Fujii' effect filters. Of course nothing compares to high-altitude clouds for getting that really dreamy look, but those are hard to predict/find.

Here's an example of the Kenko with a 40mm lens on Orion:

get.jpg?insecure

Compare to high-altitude clouds (no filter):

get.jpg?insecure

#4 Alen K

Alen K

Surveyor 1

Posted 05 May 2021 - 02:06 PM

Honestly I think it looks like garbage.

You're just blurring the highlights in the image - destroying data irreparably in the process. If you want that effect just do Select Color Range then Guassian Blur in photoshop. 

To my eyes the Starglow makes pictures look like they've been run through an amateur instagram filter.  

I feel like no serious astronomer would use it. 

Yeah, Akira Fujii, who was the first one to use that particular artistic effect on stars, was just a hack. Clearly, not a serious astronomer or astrophotographer. His wide-field astrophotos on film are dull and uninspiring

But you are correct that the effect of the filter can largely be replicated in software. Fujii didn't have that option back in the film days. 

The primary reason for using the effect is to emphasize the brighter stars that identify a constellation. Otherwise, with really sharp lenses they can be hard to pick out. But, of course, the effect can be overdone. 

Edited by Alen K, 06 May 2021 - 04:46 AM.

• Miguelo likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics