•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Telrad fell off scope

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

• topic starter
  • Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 04 May 2021 - 06:57 PM

Noticed my Telrad was on the floor this morning on my 18" Obsession.  I mounted it with the included double side sticky stuff that came with it like about 20 years go. I like it above the focuser so when i am pointing the scope i can look thru it easy. It was mounted with a plastic zip tie on one of the poles but was very hard to aim and look thru.

So what would be the best thing to stick on the piece of wood above the focuser?  The room gets very hot in the summer.

#2 BOSS3128

BOSS3128

Explorer 1

Posted 04 May 2021 - 07:19 PM

Might consider some newer 3m heavy duty tape for the base. Possibly take the Telrad off when stored in the room when it gets hot to not have the tape creep under the weight of the Telrad.

Not even going to suggest the sacrilege of using screws.

• paul hart, nemo129 and Bean614 like this

#3 Pitu

Pitu

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 04 May 2021 - 09:37 PM

Noticed my Telrad was on the floor this morning on my 18" Obsession.  I mounted it with the included double side sticky stuff that came with it like about 20 years go. I like it above the focuser so when i am pointing the scope i can look thru it easy. It was mounted with a plastic zip tie on one of the poles but was very hard to aim and look thru.

So what would be the best thing to stick on the piece of wood above the focuser?  The room gets very hot in the summer.

Hi

https://www.amazon.c...,aps,250&sr=8-9

try this. stick in cold and hot, i have on my winchel of my car, never give ups

#4 sky_dave

sky_dave

Explorer 1

• Loc: Northern Colorado

Posted 04 May 2021 - 09:39 PM

Use the double sided tape that is used to attach trim on the outside of automobiles.  It's heat tolerant.  You can get it at Autozone or any other parts store.

#5 kel123

kel123

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 04 May 2021 - 09:52 PM

You can easily buy another telrad mount for $12 and it will last you for another 20 years.
  • paul hart and DJL like this

#6 TelescopeGreg

TelescopeGreg

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Auburn, California, USA

Posted 04 May 2021 - 09:53 PM

I simply ran some thin string (kite string) around the OTA, holding the base in place.  I also remove the Telrad unless it's actually being used. 

I use it infrequently now, its primary function having been replaced by plate solving, and not having it mounted on the scope is safer (for me - I keep running into the corner of the thing...).

#7 Markovich

Markovich

Viking 1

• Loc: Grove City, Ohio

Posted 04 May 2021 - 10:25 PM

I use zip ties and mount the telrad to a support pole on the UAT.Also allows me to slightly rotate it out of the way. One of my first nights with a brand new Obsession, the Telrad fell onto the mirror ( no damage). It was my clumsiness that caused it. 

Edited by Markovich, 04 May 2021 - 10:26 PM.

#8 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 04 May 2021 - 10:47 PM

Wood screws.  

They'll last forever.

Jon

• paul hart, epee and MellonLake like this

#9 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 05 May 2021 - 05:28 AM

Might consider some newer 3m heavy duty tape for the base. Possibly take the Telrad off when stored in the room when it gets hot to not have the tape creep under the weight of the Telrad.

I hate to use screws but there are two holes in the base. 

#10 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 05 May 2021 - 05:31 AM

You can easily buy another telrad mount for $12 and it will last you for another 20 years.

The mount is fine.  The buyers before me never used the sticky tape as the green peel was still on it when i bought the scope. It was mounted on the pole below the focuser with a zip tie and not sure why anyone would pick that place as there was no way to get my head close enough to use the Telrad.  Would really love a 80mm finder but then it would cause balance probs.

The sticky tape came right off the base so i think it was just too old to work.

Edited by CHASLX200, 05 May 2021 - 05:32 AM.

#11 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 05 May 2021 - 05:32 AM

Wood screws.  

They'll last forever.

Jon

I got plenty of them.

#12 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 05 May 2021 - 05:46 AM

The telescope is held together with screws.  There's nothing sacrilegious about using screws to attach a finder to a Dob. 

Do you use tape to secure your RACI finders?  I sure don't. 

Jon

• Chucky and GUS.K like this

#13 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 05 May 2021 - 06:12 AM

The telescope is held together with screws.  There's nothing sacrilegious about using screws to attach a finder to a Dob. 

Jon

I got trays full that my father had since the 60's. I think i can find the right size.

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#14 Chucky

Chucky

Apollo

Posted 05 May 2021 - 07:35 AM

<<   Wood screws. They'll last forever.  >>

Thanks how I see it too Jon.  I learned years ago to never rely on tape, straps, cords, ties.  I'm even the type of guy who uses a secondardy shoud, instead of silicon to secure the mirror.  I want stuff to stay put !

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#15 BOSS3128

BOSS3128

Explorer 1

Posted 05 May 2021 - 04:32 PM

Jon

RACI finder bases and Telrad bases are quite a bit different from eachother, not a fair comparison when looking at the load they are being asked to carry.  And yes, I would never attempt to attach a RACI base to a scope using anything other than screws.

In the end the base would be removed easier using screws, and would be assured not to go anywhere.  Drill away.

bob

Edited by BOSS3128, 05 May 2021 - 04:34 PM.

#16 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 05 May 2021 - 04:36 PM

RACI finder bases and Telrad bases are quite a bit different from eachother, not a fair comparison when looking at the load they are being asked to carry.  And yes, I would never attempt to attach a RACI base to a scope using anything other than screws.

In the end the base would be removed easier using screws, and would be assured not to go anywhere.  Drill away.

bob

Sure the RACI is heavier but both are best held on with screws. If you'll drill holes for an RACI, why not for a Telrad?

Jon

#17 BOSS3128

BOSS3128

Explorer 1

Posted 05 May 2021 - 05:38 PM

Just saying that screws are not absolutely necessary for keeping a Telrad stable, there are other options that work with no alterations (screw holes or sticky tape residue) to the scope whatsoever.  Whereas for a RACI screws are necessary.  It depends on what the owner of the scope would want to do, and how much they are willing to alter their scopes. 

Right now I can only dream of an 18" Obsession, so it does not fall into the "tool" category for me as my current scopes are.  It is the chunk of Unobtainium high on a pedestal, so I guess that is why I used the term "sacrilege".  Obviously if at some point I was able to get one, or similar, it would fall into the "tool" category to be used and modified as it suited my needs.

bob

#18 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 05 May 2021 - 06:10 PM

Just saying that screws are not absolutely necessary for keeping a Telrad stable, there are other options that work with no alterations (screw holes or sticky tape residue) to the scope whatsoever.  Whereas for a RACI screws are necessary.  It depends on what the owner of the scope would want to do, and how much they are willing to alter their scopes. 

Right now I can only dream of an 18" Obsession, so it does not fall into the "tool" category for me as my current scopes are.  It is the chunk of Unobtainium high on a pedestal, so I guess that is why I used the term "sacrilege".  Obviously if at some point I was able to get one, or similar, it would fall into the "tool" category to be used and modified as it suited my needs.

bob

I waited 20 years for a 18" Obsession to pop up local and for $3500 i had to jump with a included Paracorr. This is as big as i can go with my door. I would much rather have a 20" f/6 Dob as my planet scope but just not gonna work at my house.  I have some small wood screws around the house and gotta find them.  I think they may rust so maybe go buy something better.

#19 BOSS3128

BOSS3128

Explorer 1

Posted 05 May 2021 - 06:14 PM

Just go to Lowe's or HD and get some brass wood screws.  should be less than a buck or two for a small pack.

#20 Chucky

Chucky

Apollo

Posted 05 May 2021 - 06:48 PM

(( Just saying that screws are not absolutely necessary for keeping a Telrad stable, ))

Obviously screws would have helped Chas as his fell to the ground.

#21 BOSS3128

BOSS3128

Explorer 1

Posted 05 May 2021 - 07:36 PM

(( Just saying that screws are not absolutely necessary for keeping a Telrad stable, ))

Obviously screws would have helped Chas as his fell to the ground.

But as CHAS had stated he felt that the tape was probably old.

In CHAS's situation, with a truss dob, will to have to agree that minimum risk of damaging the primary due to a falling Telrad is to use screws.

I zip tie my Telrad bases to my refractors, and works just fine for me, not comparing apples to apples though.

Just saying there are other options than screws or tape depending on your setup.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics