•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Saw a long chain of Starlink Sats tonight

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 BlueMoon

BlueMoon

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: South Central Idaho, USA

Posted 04 May 2021 - 11:31 PM

Holy Moly! I just observed what I think were all 60 satellites in a close chain from the Starlink launch today. Transiting from a NW to SE direction. The most Starlink sats I've seen chained at one time previously was five. I got the Megrez trained on them but there were so many I couldn't count them before they moved past the terminator and disappeared.

Edited by BlueMoon, 05 May 2021 - 03:04 PM.

• CltFlyboy likes this

#2 bryanphan

bryanphan

Lift Off

Posted 05 May 2021 - 12:22 AM

I saw them just now in Seattle too, very bright frown.gif

• BlueMoon likes this

#3 LDW47

LDW47

Cosmos

• Loc: North Bay,Ontario,Canada

Posted 05 May 2021 - 08:13 AM

I saw a lot of stars unfortunately they drowned the sats out, made them hard to see !

• BlueMoon and Jacob112 like this

#4 moonrakercat

moonrakercat

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ontario Canada

Posted 05 May 2021 - 08:32 PM

Yea - I seen them too.... a year or two back - I was taking an outdoor shower that I have on the side of my house (countryside of course) - I thought we were being invaded....really something the first time you see them.....I ran out into the yard screaming "PLEASE TAKE ME OFF THIS LIGHT POLLUTED PLANET !"    

But I'm still here....

Edited by moonrakercat, 05 May 2021 - 08:33 PM.

• BlueMoon and Voilam like this

#5 t_image

t_image

Gemini

• -----

Posted 06 May 2021 - 03:59 AM

Holy Moly! I just observed what I think were all 60 satellites in a close chain from the Starlink launch today. Transiting from a NW to SE direction. The most Starlink sats I've seen chained at one time previously was five. I got the Megrez trained on them but there were so many I couldn't count them before they moved past the terminator and disappeared.

relax. You say the resullt of 4 May launch of 60 and the passive phase of their deployment.

They are also way lower than the final orbìt altitude which while reaching they will naturally start spreading out (like moving outward on spokes of a wheel).

If you can even spot those same ones again on subsequent nights then you can be surprised......

• LDW47 likes this

#6 BlueMoon

BlueMoon

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: South Central Idaho, USA

Posted 06 May 2021 - 07:41 AM

relax. You say the resullt of 4 May launch of 60 and the passive phase of their deployment.

They are also way lower than the final orbìt altitude which while reaching they will naturally start spreading out (like moving outward on spokes of a wheel).

If you can even spot those same ones again on subsequent nights then you can be surprised......

Thanks. I'm aware of the orbital and deployment mechanics involved.

Clear skies.

• BFaucett likes this

#7 Arcticpaddler

Arcticpaddler

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Northern Minnesota, USA

Posted 12 May 2021 - 10:01 AM

I saw the long train of satellites for the first time while camped in SE Minnesota last weekend.  Surreal and weird.  I think back to when I was a child and seeing a satellite was kinda cool.  No so much anymore.

• BlueMoon and R Botero like this

#8 LDW47

LDW47

Cosmos

• Loc: North Bay,Ontario,Canada

Posted 12 May 2021 - 02:29 PM

Yea - I seen them too.... a year or two back - I was taking an outdoor shower that I have on the side of my house (countryside of course) - I thought we were being invaded....really something the first time you see them.....I ran out into the yard screaming "PLEASE TAKE ME OFF THIS LIGHT POLLUTED PLANET !"    

But I'm still here....

They weren’t trying to catch you in a net by chance ? LOL !

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics