•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Chinese space junk streaks across Seattle

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 MGAR

MGAR

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: North Seattle

Posted 04 May 2021 - 11:34 PM

Caught this tonight while getting the scope ready this evening.

space junk.jpg

Edited by MGAR, 04 May 2021 - 11:35 PM.

• colinrasmussen likes this

#2 BlueMoon

BlueMoon

Surveyor 1

• Loc: South Central Idaho, USA

Posted 04 May 2021 - 11:46 PM

I'm pretty sure those are the Starlink sats from today's launch. They transited here as well coming from your direction, which is NE of me in Southern Idaho, moving SE. It looked to be the whole group.

Clear skies.

Edited by BlueMoon, 04 May 2021 - 11:47 PM.

• litesong, bobzeq25, MGAR and 2 others like this

#3 Cali

Cali

Vanguard

• Loc: Bay Area

Posted 05 May 2021 - 02:33 AM

The Strange Tale of the Skylab's Fall From Orbit.

- Cal

• dave253 and dustyc like this

#4 Bean614

Bean614

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Mass.

Posted 05 May 2021 - 05:18 AM

"Chinese space junk streaks across Seattle"...????

'Chinese'....????  

Are you Certain???

#5 MGAR

MGAR

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 05 May 2021 - 07:48 AM

You can never be certain but some large Chinese junk will likely make it to earth here in the next day or so.

Cheers!

Gary

• Jim4321 likes this

#6 Cali

Cali

Vanguard

Posted 05 May 2021 - 12:05 PM

space junk

Cool ...

- Cal

#7 MGAR

MGAR

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 05 May 2021 - 12:53 PM

Yes cool but somewhat uncool. All Chinese rocket boosters burn up in the atmosphere when launched, it's the large Y2 rocket that doesn't burn up completely and that poses problems here on earth. Of course we found that out with the de orbit of Skylab.

SpaceX brings their boosters for the Falcon 9 and Falcon Heavy back for reuse so they pose no threat.

Interesting to lean what junk gets burned up in our atmosphere. Just learned that the space station laundry go into a garbage ship and gets sent to burn up in our atmosphere. Who knew?

Cheers!

Gary

#8 t_image

t_image

Gemini

• -----

Posted 05 May 2021 - 02:47 PM

You can never be certain but some large Chinese junk will likely make it to earth here in the next day or so.

Cheers!

Gary

Logical fallacy in reasoning:

"you can never be certain" =therefore   " my conclusion is just as valid"

that the starlinks satellites "in my photo" are the cz-5b bits compared with the correct analysis of the photo...

Nevermind the lack of effort to use observation location, point in sky, and time compared with current published orbital elements from USAF SSA.

and the incorrect statement " make it to Earth in the next day or so"

contradicting experts that do this for a living that calculate May 8 +/- 21 hrs based on data epoch may 5....

Maybe you didn't get the joke that the posters were intentionally conflating Starlinks with junk given the uproar of sky light pollution fears.

also the "all chinese boosters get burned up" in the post above is an incorrect understanding of history.

The CZ-5B booster style in particular has less precautions and has already dropped debris onto a village a year ago:

https://www.theverge...y-long-march-5b

• Dave Mitsky likes this

#9 dustyc

dustyc

Viking 1

• Loc: Phoenix,AZ

Posted 05 May 2021 - 03:03 PM

Interesting how 8000 pieces baseball size or larger works out to be 3 or 4 pieces over an area the size of US continental airspace. There's a lot more stuff up there now than 2011. Maybe 15,000 now? 

#10 CMDRExorcist

CMDRExorcist

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Texas

Posted 05 May 2021 - 03:07 PM

I've never seen a Starlink "train" in person, but I've seen plenty of photos and videos of them and this is most likely one of their "constellations". 

Edited by CMDRExorcist, 05 May 2021 - 03:08 PM.

#11 Achernar

Achernar

Voyager 1

• Loc: Mobile, Alabama, USA

Posted 05 May 2021 - 03:08 PM

Yes cool but somewhat uncool. All Chinese rocket boosters burn up in the atmosphere when launched, it's the large Y2 rocket that doesn't burn up completely and that poses problems here on earth. Of course we found that out with the de orbit of Skylab.

SpaceX brings their boosters for the Falcon 9 and Falcon Heavy back for reuse so they pose no threat.

Interesting to lean what junk gets burned up in our atmosphere. Just learned that the space station laundry go into a garbage ship and gets sent to burn up in our atmosphere. Who knew?

Cheers!

Gary

Everything that is made of Inconel, titanium, ceramic or stainless sleel will survive re-entry in whole or in part. Things that have been over wrapped with fiberglass will also survive. I have seen pieces of Skylab and rocket stages that re-entered and impacted the ground, before being recovered. It was amazing how wiring, and other parts I expected to vaporize were intact. One of these fragments was an oxygen tank from Skylab.

Taras

Edited by Achernar, 05 May 2021 - 05:01 PM.

• t_image likes this

#12 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth

Posted 05 May 2021 - 04:18 PM

A short segment on the out-of-control Chinese Long March 5B rocket (CZ-5B) was aired last night on ABC's World News Nightly Tonight.

https://www.forbes.c...sh=689213f05938

#13 audioengr

audioengr

Viking 1

Posted 05 May 2021 - 04:24 PM

I saw this straight line of lit-up stuff as well, about 9:30 in Central Oregon.  I was about to do a capture from my star-deck and this moved in a straight line across the northern sky at about the rate of a jet plane at 20K feet.  It looked to me like it was actually putting out light, but might just be a reflection.  It was not changing or burning-up, just moving along as a group.

Why would all of these satellites be so close together?  Is it because they have just been ejected and they must take up their permanent positions still?

Anyone know the altitude of the low-earth orbit of Musk's satellites?

Edited by audioengr, 05 May 2021 - 04:35 PM.

• t_image likes this

#14 t_image

t_image

Gemini

• -----

Posted 05 May 2021 - 04:42 PM

I've never seen a Starlink "train" in person, but I've seen plenty of photos and videos of them and this is most likely one of their "constellations". 

Yep!

like this original batch soon after launch?

Original StarLinks 5-25-19

a re-entry looks like this:

https://www.youtube....h?v=fFpL36n68eY

I saw this straight line of lit-up stuff as well, about 9:30 in Central Oregon.
  I was about to do a capture from my star-deck and this moved in a straight line
 across the northern sky at about the rate of a jet plane at 20K feet.  
It looked to me like it was actually putting out light, but might just be a reflection.
  It was not changing or burning-up, just moving along as a group.

Why would all of these satellites be so close together?
  Is it because they have just been ejected and they must take up their permanent positions still?
    Anyone know the altitude of the low-earth orbit of Musk's satellites?

If you look at how they are stacked in, and watch this deployment sim:

https://www.youtube....h?v=veMts1Khido

it will explain they passively drift apart.....

and as they fire and rise in orbit away from Earth, they geometrically space away from each other

(like making room for people to join a circle, if everyone takes a few steps back, there is more open space.......)

The starlinks in a launch deployment don't all simultaneously rise in orbit...

SL's final orbit alt is ~550kmx550km.

most recent SL's launched and still bunched up are at ~ 270km......

Edited by t_image, 05 May 2021 - 05:17 PM.

• CMDRExorcist likes this

#15 Cali

Cali

Vanguard

Posted 05 May 2021 - 05:46 PM

Interesting how 8000 pieces baseball size or larger works out to be 3 or 4 pieces over an area the size of US continental airspace. There's a lot more stuff up there now than 2011. Maybe 15,000 now? 

"On 15 October 2019, the United States Federal Communications Commission (FCC) submitted filings to the International Telecommunication Union (ITU) on SpaceX's behalf to arrange spectrum for 30,000 additional Starlink satellites to supplement the 12,000 Starlink satellites already approved by the FCC."

LINK

Currently there are now more than 1,300 Starlink satellites in orbit. Musk is adding around 60-180 per month. If you would like to see where they all are Click Here.

- Cal

#16 t_image

t_image

Gemini

• -----

Posted 05 May 2021 - 05:52 PM

Follow Chinese CZ-5B reentry predictions here:

https://aerospace.or...t-body-id-48275

• Cali likes this

#17 Cali

Cali

Vanguard

Posted 05 May 2021 - 06:20 PM

Follow Chinese CZ-5B reentry predictions here:

https://aerospace.or...t-body-id-48275

I like the statement that the rocket body is "Tumbling End Over End". (Kind of like me when I was learning to skateboard.)

Maybe if their tin can flames out directly into Tiananmen Square a light bulb will turn on.

- Cal

P.S. Today is the 60th anniversary of someone getting blasted off the earth in a bottle rocket....

Edited by Cali, 05 May 2021 - 08:50 PM.

#18 MawkHawk

MawkHawk

Viking 1

• Loc: SE Michigan, USA

Posted 05 May 2021 - 07:10 PM

I like when they say that the rocket body is "Tumbling End Over End". (Kind of like me when I was learning to skateboard.)

Its 2021. How much more negligent can you freaking get??!?

Maybe if their tin can flames out directly into Tiananmen Square a light bulb will turn on.

Jeepers Creepers. Talk about foolish foibles. 

- Cal

Nope. The bulb still won't go on.

• Cali likes this

#19 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth

Posted 06 May 2021 - 01:13 PM

The CZ-5B was imaged last night (May 6th in UT).

https://www.msn.com/...rth/ar-BB1gq4lT

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics