•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Request for BYO rail and roof detail images

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 BKBrown

BKBrown

Aurora

• topic starter
  • Loc: Under dark skies in central Virginia, USA

Posted 05 May 2021 - 08:13 AM

Hi folks! I am still finishing up the details for my upcoming BYO 16x20 build and need to satisfy the local building inspector before I can get my permit. Specifically, I need to show him how the track rides on the rails, and how the roof is secured from coming off in high winds. He is fixated on roof uplift and anything I can do to talk him out of the tree would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Clear Skies,

Brian snoopy2.gif

#2 GaryShaw

GaryShaw

Apollo

• Loc: Massachusetts / Wyoming

Posted 05 May 2021 - 08:23 AM

Hi Brian

You’ll need to post some images and information on the design before any of us can usefully comment or give you ammo for your discussions with the Inspector. You should also post the wind design criteria and any seismic requirements. The former are obviously central to the ‘uplift’ issue while the latter are important relative to the outrigger/ rail anchorage and lateral bracing design. If you had a structural engineer design the ‘hold-downs’ and any lateral bracing, a license ‘stamp’ on the drawings should settle any and all Inspector concerns.

Gary

• BKBrown likes this

#3 jmillsbss

jmillsbss

Viking 1

• Loc: New Albany, Mississippi, USA

Posted 05 May 2021 - 08:35 AM

You could probably get the roof to stay on with a big enough chain.

However, a more "well-thought out idea" looks a whole lot like the device used to lock a roll-up garage door....the bar that goes through the track that has a keyed lock.  Any variation of this method should suffice, you just need to figure out how it fits your build design.

But, I'm a redneck at heart.... I'd throw a chain over it!

Edited by jmillsbss, 05 May 2021 - 08:36 AM.

• BKBrown likes this

#4 Special Ed

Special Ed

Voyager 1

• Loc: Greenbrier County, WV 38N, 80W

Posted 05 May 2021 - 09:03 AM

Brian,

I built my observatory in 2010 using plans I bought from BYO.  I also used their roller wheel hardware for the roof.  Their design may have changed since then but the 2010 design has worked for me.  I hold down the roof with 6 turnbuckles and two gate latches.  Never had any trouble keeping the roof on.  I calculate the roof weighs about 900 pounds but I can open it by hand.  Here are some pics.

sized_OB construction 7-15 004.JPG

sized_OB construction 7-15 005.JPG

sized_OB construction 7-15 007.JPG

sized_Ob construction 7-26 003.JPG

Obs construction 8-7 001_resize.jpg

Edited by Special Ed, 05 May 2021 - 09:08 AM.

• BKBrown likes this

#5 Special Ed

Special Ed

Voyager 1

• Loc: Greenbrier County, WV 38N, 80W

Posted 05 May 2021 - 09:05 AM

Here are a couple more pics.  Hope this helps.  Good luck!

Obs construction 8-9 006_resize.jpg

Obs construction 8-12 003_resize.jpg

• BKBrown likes this

#6 MJB87

MJB87

Gemini

• Moderators
  • Loc: Talbot County, MD & Washington, DC

Posted 05 May 2021 - 10:03 AM

I built a 11.5x11.5 ROR from BYO plans about six years ago.  Since we live in an area subject to hurricanes, I added two additional feature to secure the roof.

The first is a set of L-shaped overlapping  heavy aluminum rails, on each side of the sliding roof.There is just no way the roof is coming up with this setup and it does not interfere with normal operation of the roof. In the photo below, these rails start in the center and run forward and back (towards the bottom of the photo).

4BF0DD8C-3B03-47C8-8DB6-6F627A76C706.jpeg

In addition, for additional protection in hurricanes, I added four locking mechanisms inside the structure. These stop the roof both from coming up and also from shifting forward and back.

F8C4B353-9210-42A4-9D91-17C716326A3B.jpeg

Finally, the BYO track and motor also keep the roof from moving or lifting, at least in that corner of the observatory.

8BA80DCC-FF76-45ED-B344-E1986EE6B389.jpeg

I'm on the Maryland Eastern Shore. You are welcome to stop by if you want to examine in person.

Marty

• BKBrown likes this

#7 BKBrown

BKBrown

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 05 May 2021 - 10:55 AM

Thanks for the quick responses smile.png I am having BYO build a 16x20 Club Model so the design is already in hand and proven, so I don't have to sweat that part. Michael - Nice job on your build, it looks like the first observatory BYO built for me in 2012 (probably to the same plan), and that I had to abandon when I sold my house in 2019. So there are not really any design issues to wrestle with. Scott sent me several images of recent builds that now include a series of L brackets on each side of the roof that interlock under an L frame attached to the trestle rail...looks very secure. I am just trying to find some additional view angles and use cases. 

IMG_2203sc.jpg

Clear Skies,

Brian snoopy2.gif

#8 syxbach

syxbach

Messenger

• Loc: West Texas

Posted 08 May 2021 - 11:19 AM

Hey Brian

Looks like the image is my observatorylol.gif

Yuexiao

Thanks for the quick responses smile.png I am having BYO build a 16x20 Club Model so the design is already in hand and proven, so I don't have to sweat that part. Michael - Nice job on your build, it looks like the first observatory BYO built for me in 2012 (probably to the same plan), and that I had to abandon when I sold my house in 2019. So there are not really any design issues to wrestle with. Scott sent me several images of recent builds that now include a series of L brackets on each side of the roof that interlock under an L frame attached to the trestle rail...looks very secure. I am just trying to find some additional view angles and use cases. 

attachicon.gifIMG_2203sc.jpg

Clear Skies,

Brian snoopy2.gif

• BKBrown likes this

#9 BKBrown

BKBrown

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 09 May 2021 - 09:32 AM

I built a 11.5x11.5 ROR from BYO plans about six years ago.  Since we live in an area subject to hurricanes, I added two additional feature to secure the roof.

The first is a set of L-shaped overlapping  heavy aluminum rails, on each side of the sliding roof.There is just no way the roof is coming up with this setup and it does not interfere with normal operation of the roof. In the photo below, these rails start in the center and run forward and back (towards the bottom of the photo).

attachicon.gif4BF0DD8C-3B03-47C8-8DB6-6F627A76C706.jpeg

In addition, for additional protection in hurricanes, I added four locking mechanisms inside the structure. These stop the roof both from coming up and also from shifting forward and back.

attachicon.gifF8C4B353-9210-42A4-9D91-17C716326A3B.jpeg

Finally, the BYO track and motor also keep the roof from moving or lifting, at least in that corner of the observatory.

attachicon.gif8BA80DCC-FF76-45ED-B344-E1986EE6B389.jpeg

I'm on the Maryland Eastern Shore. You are welcome to stop by if you want to examine in person.

Marty

Hi Marty,

I followed your build a while back, and it turned out really nice! You have many of the same climatic issues I face being in the Mid-Atlantic region (though closer to the ocean), so I think you understand many of my concerns. This year it looks like the Brood X cicadas will be keeping us company during the build borg.gif Your toggle lock down looks likely to be much easier on the hands than the turnbuckles BYO used in the past; Scott may have gone over to something similar since my first build. I know he now uses a locking L shaped track arrangement to prevent uplift.

Clear Skies,

Brian snoopy2.gif

#10 BKBrown

BKBrown

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 09 May 2021 - 09:38 AM

Hey Brian

Looks like the image is my observatorylol.gif

Yuexiao

Hi Yuexiao,

It may well be biggrin.png! If so, I hope you don't mind. I asked Scott  for some images that show his current uplift prevention protocols and this is one of the images I received. It was compelling enough to convince my local building inspector that we have a sound plan in place to counter our often gusty local winds. We had a tornado touch down this past week not far from my place and it wreaked a bit of havoc, thankfully no one was hurt. But the CBO is a touch sensitive to wind issues right now. Thanks!

Clear Skies,

Brian snoopy2.gif

• syxbach likes this

#11 MJB87

MJB87

Gemini

• Moderators
  • Loc: Talbot County, MD & Washington, DC

Posted 09 May 2021 - 10:14 AM

This year it looks like the Brood X cicadas will be keeping us company during the build borg.gif Your toggle lock down looks likely to be much easier on the hands than the turnbuckles BYO used in the past; Scott may have gone over to something similar since my first build. I know he now uses a locking L shaped track arrangement to prevent uplift.

No cicadas here on the DelMarVa peninsula. Nice and quiet.

The locking mechanism was not something that BYO had designed. My builder decided to put it in. He called it a "barn door latch" for what it is worth. It is a simple over-center design. The risk, of course, is that you try to open the roof when the locks are engaged. In my case, I always unlock the latches when I get started and then every time before I engage the roof motor I point to each lock, counting to four, to make sure they are unlatched.

Here is my setup today. Added a dome the past year.

49DA59C0-069C-4BBA-BFB0-536EA85C7355.jpeg

Good luck with the build and clear skies!

Marty

• BKBrown likes this

#12 syxbach

syxbach

Messenger

• Loc: West Texas

Posted 09 May 2021 - 03:01 PM

Yeah, this is our observatory finished one month ago. You are welcome to use the images. Tornado is a potential problem, but we have not one hit on our ranch yet. If you build one, better not to have any windows. 

Yuexiao

Hi Yuexiao,

It may well be biggrin.png! If so, I hope you don't mind. I asked Scott  for some images that show his current uplift prevention protocols and this is one of the images I received. It was compelling enough to convince my local building inspector that we have a sound plan in place to counter our often gusty local winds. We had a tornado touch down this past week not far from my place and it wreaked a bit of havoc, thankfully no one was hurt. But the CBO is a touch sensitive to wind issues right now. Thanks!

Clear Skies,

Brian snoopy2.gif

• BKBrown likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics