•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Offset pier

Observatory
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 benbendube

benbendube

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Plaisance, Quebec, Canada.

Posted 05 May 2021 - 02:47 PM

I Read somewhere that the pier should have an offset to the center of the observatory.

Can someone explain this to me?

A.D.Ben

Edited by benbendube, 05 May 2021 - 02:48 PM.

#2 PETER DREW

PETER DREW

Surveyor 1

Posted 05 May 2021 - 03:23 PM

It depends on the type of mount, an Alt-Az mount would be more likely to be set centrally.  An Equatorial mount, specially a fork mount , is usually offset towards the South as the inclination of the polar axis displaces the telescope towards the North.  This situation varies with the latitude of the observatory.

• benbendube likes this

#3 Topographic

Topographic

Viking 1

• Loc: Tarn et Garonne, France

Posted 05 May 2021 - 03:42 PM

My pier is offset but by accident, the concrete plinth was put in slighly off. It isn't a problem, you just put the measurements in to your rotator set up (if you are automating). I also have mine slightly to the south because I wanted more room to the entrance which I wanted to be opposite the direction of the prevailing wind from the south.

• benbendube likes this

#4 MJB87

MJB87

Gemini

• Moderators
  • Loc: Talbot County, MD & Washington, DC

Posted 05 May 2021 - 03:46 PM

In my ROR the pier is offset for practical reasons. First, I wanted to be able to have the telescope view clear the open roof to the north easily. Since the south wall folds down, there isn't as much of a challenge in that direction.  Second, I wanted to create some working space on the north side for a table, chair, computer, etc.  This has worked out pretty well for me.

In my dome we tried to get the pier exactly in the center of rotation and missed by only 1-2 cm.

#5 benbendube

benbendube

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 May 2021 - 05:28 PM

How much of an offset with eq6-r pro at 45° north and in which direction? 

#6 MJB87

MJB87

Gemini

• Moderators
  • Loc: Talbot County, MD & Washington, DC

Posted 05 May 2021 - 08:28 PM

My offset was 1 foot south in an 11.5x11.5 ROR

#7 SkipW

SkipW

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Oklahoma, USA

Posted 21 May 2021 - 10:25 AM

How much of an offset with eq6-r pro at 45° north and in which direction? 

At least as a starting point, you would probably want to shoot for the intersection of the polar and dec axes to be at the center of the dome. Set the PA to your latitude, drop a plumb line from directly below the intersection of the axes, and measure how far it is from where the center of the pier will be (i.e. the center of the tripod locking shaft).

How much room will you nominally have between the dome and the nearest point on the telescope? Honestly, it may not be worth worrying about unless this tolerance is tight.

#8 benbendube

benbendube

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 May 2021 - 06:54 PM

I' waiting for my Pulsar 2.2m observatory with a Celestron 925 EDGE so I shouldn't worry about space, .even with a dew shield?

A.D. Ben.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Observatory

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics