•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Need help, Meade Series 6000 80 mm APO Triplet + ASTRO-TECH 0.8X REDUCER/FIELD FLATTENER

Accessories Astrophotography Beginner Equipment Meade Refractor
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 AstronomyDG

AstronomyDG

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 May 2021 - 03:08 PM

Hello, a little while back I got myself a Meade Series 6000 80mm APO Triplet. I am new to astrophotography and shortly after I ordered my scope I learned what a field flattener was, so I went to buy the dedicated flattener for my scope only to realize it was discontinued... So I did some reading around and decided to get myself the ASTRO-TECH 0.8X REDUCER/FIELD FLATTENER as it is made for a scope with the same specs as mine. I got the flattener in the mail the other day and went to go thread it into the draw tube of the scope but quickly realized that it simply does not fit. So my question is, am I missing something? An adapter maybe or is this flattener just not right for my scope? Any insight is incredibly helpful as this has been the only thing on my mind for the last week. If anyone is using a different flattener that works with their Meade Series 6000 Apo Triplet please let me know.

Meade Series 6000 80mm Apo Triplet - https://optcorp.com/...AyABEgJ2WPD_BwE

ASTRO-TECH 0.8X REDUCER/FIELD FLATTENER - https://www.astronom...-refractor.html

#2 Andynator

Andynator

Mariner 2

• Loc: West Central Ohio, USA

Posted 05 May 2021 - 03:25 PM

I've had these on order for months, so I'm curious about the outcome. Just tight a fit is it? Off by fractions or a large amount?

#3 AstronomyDG

AstronomyDG

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 May 2021 - 03:42 PM

I've had these on order for months, so I'm curious about the outcome. Just tight a fit is it? Off by fractions or a large amount?

There are 2 sets of threads inside the drawtube. The first is to wide to fit the flattener and the second is to narrow.

Edited by AstronomyDG, 05 May 2021 - 05:41 PM.

#4 charlieb123

charlieb123

Mariner 2

• Loc: New York

Posted 05 May 2021 - 03:42 PM

I can't see why a Hotech (HT-SCA-FFT58) wouldn't work.

For F5-F8 refractors.

Unless you want a reducer. Not so sure a wider FOV than what an 80mm scope already has is really necessary.

Edited by charlieb123, 05 May 2021 - 03:47 PM.

#5 AstronomyDG

AstronomyDG

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 May 2021 - 04:10 PM

I can't see why a Hotech (HT-SCA-FFT58) wouldn't work.

For F5-F8 refractors.

Unless you want a reducer. Not so sure a wider FOV than what an 80mm scope already has is really necessary.

I was not looking for a reducer, I was just looking for a flattener that has the right specs for my scope and this was the only one I could find. As I said I am still new to the hobby and am doing my best to learn what I can and not make any mistakes... However I clearly did by buying this flattener from Astronomics. I just spoke with customer support from Highpoint Scientific and they also recommended me the Hotech (HT-SCA-FFT58). I put in a purchase order for it, im just hoping it gives me a flat field from corner to corner in my images since it is rated for multiple focal lengths. Now I just need to find a way to return this flattener back to Astronomics.

Thanks for the help, I will keep this thread updated when I get my first clear night with the Hotech (HT-SCA-FFT58).

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Accessories, Astrophotography, Beginner, Equipment, Meade, Refractor

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics