•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Anyone have a status on when Autostakkert 4 release is happening?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 dcaponeii

dcaponeii

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Waxahachie, TX

Posted 05 May 2021 - 06:42 PM

I keep checking back but so far just the video describing the release as being soon and that was many months ago.  Anyone have an update?

#2 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Hubble

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 05 May 2021 - 07:20 PM

...I think the comment I made on the last thread where this was discussed still holds..! :rofl: 

• ntph and dcaponeii like this

#3 sc285

sc285

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Northeastern KS

Posted 06 May 2021 - 09:27 AM

...I think the comment I made on the last thread where this was discussed still holds..! rofl2.gif

Well that don't tell us a **** thing. If you had a comment on the "last thread", why don't you quote it or something.

A question was asked and YOU didn't answer it.

#4 matt_astro_tx

matt_astro_tx

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Dallas Area, Texas

Posted 06 May 2021 - 11:18 AM

Well that don't tell us a **** thing. If you had a comment on the "last thread", why don't you quote it or something.

A question was asked and YOU didn't answer it.

Easy dude...

• RedLionNJ, gfstallin, Lacaille and 1 other like this

#5 Borodog

Borodog

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 07 May 2021 - 10:09 AM

Terms of Service. Be nice. Be polite.

But yeah, I am dying for AS!4 over here.
  • gfstallin and dcaponeii like this

#6 Thirteen

Thirteen

Gemini

• Loc: Milford, Michigan

Posted 07 May 2021 - 03:58 PM

This thread didn't offer what the title suggested.

#7 dcaponeii

dcaponeii

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 May 2021 - 04:50 PM

I asked the question just haven't received any information back yet.  I looked for the referenced prior thread but couldn't find it with the search engine.  I'll just wait until someone comes through.  The usually do on CN.

• Lacaille likes this

#8 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Hubble

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 07 May 2021 - 08:30 PM

...I wasn't going to bother responding to anything further to what I said earlier rofl2.gif because this thread's question has been posited more than once on CN as well as other places...it is becoming a type of perennial question nowadays, in fact almost akin to "how long is a piece of string..?" & hence my humorous response.

Nobody here can accuse me of not going way out of my way to supply explanations to myriads of queries on planetary imaging, but if anyone really feels that they need to dig as deep as they can on the matter thay can do a simple search here on CN using key words such as "AS!4" etc...if that doesn't help then that's too bad & what I'll say here is probably the best you're likely to hear!idea.gif

I suspect that Emil has had life & other priorities interfere with any further developments to this project, but that's just my thoughts...I wouldn't even be surprised that one reason for it being on a permanent back-burner is the demands software places on authors, particularly with freeware: atm I'm putting a lot of pressure on Torsten Edelmann of FireCapture fame to assist with some vexing issues & I know he gets reams of email questions constantly - so answering everything would be definitely unfunny a lot of the time.

Torsten's patience & friendship probably gives him more heartaches than anything else & he is a really great guy - so if you read this Torsten don't abandon me yet & I am preparing a response to your latest emails..! grin.gif

As far as AS!4 is concerned I think that many of the folks wondering when it might occur would do better to nail down their use of AS!3 & the other planetary processing softwares in the interim because, certainly from my perspective, you'll find plenty to learn & advance your capabilities therein without worrying about any possible new AS!4 release..! wink.gif

• TorstenEdelmann, Kenny V., R Botero and 7 others like this

#9 Tom Glenn

Tom Glenn

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 07 May 2021 - 09:18 PM

I suspect that Emil has had life & other priorities interfere with any further developments to this project, but that's just my thoughts...

As far as AS!4 is concerned I think that many of the folks wondering when it might occur would do better to nail down their use of AS!3 & the other planetary processing softwares in the interim 

These two points hit the nail on the head.  Most people probably are well aware of this, but it is always worth repeating that the most critical softwares we use in planetary imaging are (somewhat amazingly) made availably freely, by hobbyists working in their spare time, rather than by professional developers being paid to meet a deadline.  

To the second point, I fully expect AS!4 to have some "luxury features" that add convenience to the workflow, but that do not impact image quality.  The key feature I'm anticipating is increased processing speed, which will be nice when working with very large files, but nevertheless is a luxury and not a necessity.  Any limitations in current image quality will be minimally impacted (potentially non-impacted) by the new release, and efforts to improve results are therefore best focused on the fundamentals.  This is especially true for beginning imagers.  That said, I'm sure we will all enjoy testing the new software whenever it becomes available.  

• TorstenEdelmann, Kenny V., eros312 and 4 others like this

#10 matt_astro_tx

matt_astro_tx

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Dallas Area, Texas

Posted 10 May 2021 - 07:16 AM

I just read the OPs first post again and this was a simple, innocent question asking "hey guys, anyone have an update?"  There may be multiple other threads on this, but sometimes I think throwing out a new question to refresh an old topic has its merits.

Regardless I think we've summed it up:  There are no updates to report.  And, we need to remain patient - it is freeware after all.

The astro community is the friendliest online community I've ever experienced.  Let's keep it that way.

• gfstallin, okietwisterdan and dcaponeii like this

#11 dcaponeii

dcaponeii

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 May 2021 - 07:28 AM

Hi all,

Matt summed it up for me right there.  Had no real sense that I was stepping on a landmine and I enjoyed the humorous responses across the board.  I was in fact concerned that something might have happened "life events" to delay the release which is why I asked the question.  This is usually the easiest place to get up to date information.  The CN search engine leaves a bit to be desired as numerous search queries prior to my asking the question did not bring back any information.  Honest I did try before I asked the question.

• gfstallin and okietwisterdan like this

#12 nfotis

nfotis

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Athens, Greece

Posted 11 May 2021 - 12:39 PM

We all have to be patient.

AS!3 is already a very competent tool (I am just starting with it, and I haven't exhausted its capabilities).

Just saw the video with the demonstration of the AS!4 preview, and I have to admit that still I don't know all the possibilities available in the current version.

The author obviously wants to polish it as best as possible before releasing it into the wild, in order to reduce the amount of emails asking for help etc. Doing software support is time-intensive (and it's a thankless job)

N.F.

#13 Wildetelescope

Wildetelescope

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Maryland

Posted 11 May 2021 - 02:31 PM

We all have to be patient.

AS!3 is already a very competent tool (I am just starting with it, and I haven't exhausted its capabilities).

Just saw the video with the demonstration of the AS!4 preview, and I have to admit that still I don't know all the possibilities available in the current version.

The author obviously wants to polish it as best as possible before releasing it into the wild, in order to reduce the amount of emails asking for help etc. Doing software support is time-intensive (and it's a thankless job)

N.F.

Watched the Author"s 2 hour YouTube tutorial for AS3! (part of the Woodland Hills series I think). That was amazing and I recommend to anyone using the software.  Improved my results immediately.  AS3 is really quite amazing in what it does and how well it does it.  And it is FREE!  

Cheers!

JMD

• dcaponeii likes this

#14 okietwisterdan

okietwisterdan

Mariner 2

• Loc: Oklahoma

Posted 11 June 2021 - 09:45 PM

Hi all,

Matt summed it up for me right there.  Had no real sense that I was stepping on a landmine and I enjoyed the humorous responses across the board.  I was in fact concerned that something might have happened "life events" to delay the release which is why I asked the question.  This is usually the easiest place to get up to date information.  The CN search engine leaves a bit to be desired as numerous search queries prior to my asking the question did not bring back any information.  Honest I did try before I asked the question.

I'm a bit late to this thread, but I had the same thought today, wondering when AS4 was coming out. As for searching and finding threads on CN, I almost never bother with the CN search engine. I usually have really good success using Google. My searches on Google usually look something like

" cloudy nights autostakkert 4 release" 

Sometimes I put certain words in quotations if the search doesn't bring up what I'm looking for. If I'm finding too many unrelated suggestions from other websites, I'll put "site:cloudynights.com" in the search bar first. 

• bunyon likes this

#15 bunyon

bunyon

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Winston-Salem, NC

Posted Yesterday, 07:28 AM

Co-sign the above post: Don't use the CN search function. Add "cloudynights" to a standard google search. Works much better.

Like others, I'm astounded at how much freeware is available to the astroimager. And grateful. Very grateful. 

Now if someone would just come up with freeware great seeing, I'd be perfectly happy.

• dcaponeii likes this

#16 kevinbreen

kevinbreen

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Wexford, Ireland

Posted Today, 04:51 AM

Co-sign the above post: Don't use the CN search function. Add "cloudynights" to a standard google search. Works much better.

Like others, I'm astounded at how much freeware is available to the astroimager. And grateful. Very grateful.

Now if someone would just come up with freeware great seeing, I'd be perfectly happy.

I'll second that

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics