•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Celestron OAG prism marks

Celestron
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 thehose

thehose

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 05 May 2021 - 07:33 PM

I just purchased the Celestron OAG (last one) from Amazon for a C11 rig for which I still don't have all the components, so I can't test it. I checked the prism and it has some spots in the bottom panel where it attaches to the metal. Looks like maybe black glue ???

Is this normal and nothing to worry about or is this defective and I should return it.

Thanks

Attached Thumbnails

• 1.jpg

#2 Oskiinspace

Oskiinspace

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Los Angeles, CA

Posted 05 May 2021 - 07:46 PM

I just got my OAG and I noticed it too but if you look at the prism at the right angle, you'll see that those black glue spots wont interfere with the light being picked off. I was also able to confirm this with my first day of guiding using OAG. I didn't notice any black spots and had great guiding. I say give it a shot and if you notice anything, contact celestron for a warranty check or replacement.. 

#3 Oskiinspace

Oskiinspace

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Los Angeles, CA

Posted 05 May 2021 - 07:50 PM

To clarify, if you look down into the OAG where your guidecamera goes, you won't see those black spots. 

#4 Linwood

Linwood

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Ft Myers, Florida, USA

Posted 05 May 2021 - 09:44 PM

And even if there's a couple spots, there's so much real estate as long as there are no BRIGHT spots that look like stars, you are good.

Note that Amazon stock is manipulated to make people buy.  One case I was familiar with from doing the systems work, a big wholesaler would list 3 or 5 or some such, but might have 100,000 items in their warehouse.  It's all smoke and mirrors to make you react. People feel no sense of urgency if you see there are 100,000 copies in stock, but might if it said 3. And, honest: Right now there's "Only 3 left in stock - order soon" of the COAG on US Amazon.

#5 thehose

thehose

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 06 May 2021 - 09:54 AM

Hey guys, thanks for the quick responses; I did look (from the cameras angle) and the spots are not there, also never gave a thought to the color (black) which will look like empty space to the camera.

Nothing like someone else's observations to get you thinking right... :)))

PS: Yes, what does Amazon not manipulate, they own the retail world.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Celestron

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics