•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Dots on Jupiter image and video

Astrophotography Cassegrain Celestron CMOS Equipment Imaging/Sketching Contest Observing Planet SCT
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 arshadwm

arshadwm

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Houston

Posted 05 May 2021 - 07:51 PM

Can anyone advise what these dots are ? I’m using Celestron CPC 1100 EdgeHD with ZWO ASI385 MC Camera and 4X Barlow from televue 

1. Dirty corrector plate ?

2. Dirty camera lens ?

3. Dirty Barlow lens ?

4. Any other Reason ?

Thank You. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 99946E07-CB19-486E-939B-219A5F4E68BE.jpeg

#2 Sunspot

Sunspot

Voyager 1

• Loc: Surprise, AZ

Posted 05 May 2021 - 08:01 PM

Dust motes on the camera sensor. I hate when that happens! bawling.gif

#3 arshadwm

arshadwm

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 May 2021 - 08:02 PM

So how to clean them. Any idea ? 

#4 astro rocketeer

astro rocketeer

Viking 1

• Loc: Valencia, CA (Los Angeles)

Posted 05 May 2021 - 08:13 PM

Looks like dust on the camera window. I’ve had that. ZWO has shows how to clean here https://astronomy-im...e_desiccant.pdf . You should have a hand rocket bulb blower to blow out dust from your image camera before and after imaging. You can buy it on Amazon for a few bucks. Before opening the camera, try to blow out any dusts on the camera window. Don’t blow on it as spit and other things can make it worst. Take flat frames and see if it’s still there after cleaning. 

• Kiwi Paul likes this

#5 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Hubble

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 05 May 2021 - 10:45 PM

Better than the ethanol on a cotton bud as in the ZWO instructions, get some Pec Pads & cut them into strips as wide as the sensor: there is a hard glass cover on top of the sensor itself (ie, the sensor is not exposed) & cut some strips of springy plastic from an ice-cream container top the same width as your Pec Pad strrips also. The plastic for the "wand" would be roughly 60mm - 90mm long. (2.5" - 4")

This plastic is springy & wrapping a single strip of the cut Pec Pad over the end of one plastic "wand" & holding the loose ends of the Pec Pad strip onto the plastic wand with a finger & thumb makes a perfect swab for sensors. (you can actually buy proprietary wand swabs at exorbitant prices if you wish, but the ones I make cost next-to-nothing & are equally as good)

You put a few drops of any good cleaning fluid (Eclipse, Zeiss, etc or simply isopropyl alcohol - high grade btw) on the bottom of the wand you've made & swipe in one direction across the sensor glass & flip the wand over for a second pass, this presents a different pad surface to the sensor so you're not dragging the surface you've just picked crud up from back over the sensor glass.....slide the Pec Pad bit along a few mm's so a new patch of it is at the bottom of the plastic wand & if that part is dry add a couple more drops of the cleaning fluid, then repeat the cleaning swipes.

This done a few times will clean even the filthiest sensor..! ;)

Scrupulously clean hands to cut the Pec Pad sheets into the right-sized strips btw (using scissors that have been cleaned with a bit of isopropyl alcohol first) along with cleaning the plastic wand you've made - keep the clean, unused strips of Pec Pad & the plastic wand(s) in a ziplock bag to stay clean for any possible future needs!

• RedLionNJ, KiwiRay, Lacaille and 1 other like this

#6 arshadwm

arshadwm

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 May 2021 - 11:24 PM

God bless

#7 astro rocketeer

astro rocketeer

Viking 1

• Loc: Valencia, CA (Los Angeles)

Posted 06 May 2021 - 12:14 PM

Better than the ethanol on a cotton bud as in the ZWO instructions, get some Pec Pads & cut them into strips as wide as the sensor: there is a hard glass cover on top of the sensor itself (ie, the sensor is not exposed) & cut some strips of springy plastic from an ice-cream container top the same width as your Pec Pad strrips also. The plastic for the "wand" would be roughly 60mm - 90mm long. (2.5" - 4")

This plastic is springy & wrapping a single strip of the cut Pec Pad over the end of one plastic "wand" & holding the loose ends of the Pec Pad strip onto the plastic wand with a finger & thumb makes a perfect swab for sensors. (you can actually buy proprietary wand swabs at exorbitant prices if you wish, but the ones I make cost next-to-nothing & are equally as good)

You put a few drops of any good cleaning fluid (Eclipse, Zeiss, etc or simply isopropyl alcohol - high grade btw) on the bottom of the wand you've made & swipe in one direction across the sensor glass & flip the wand over for a second pass, this presents a different pad surface to the sensor so you're not dragging the surface you've just picked crud up from back over the sensor glass.....slide the Pec Pad bit along a few mm's so a new patch of it is at the bottom of the plastic wand & if that part is dry add a couple more drops of the cleaning fluid, then repeat the cleaning swipes.

This done a few times will clean even the filthiest sensor..! wink.gif

Scrupulously clean hands to cut the Pec Pad sheets into the right-sized strips btw (using scissors that have been cleaned with a bit of isopropyl alcohol first) along with cleaning the plastic wand you've made - keep the clean, unused strips of Pec Pad & the plastic wand(s) in a ziplock bag to stay clean for any possible future needs!

excellent info, thanks for sharing Kokatha Man. I use the Pec Pads and Eclipse solution on my lenses usually but next time I have dust on sensors, I def have to do this - Pec Pad and Plastic Wand. Thanks!

• dcaponeii likes this

#8 arshadwm

arshadwm

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 May 2021 - 07:25 AM

Update. What I have noticed some dust particles at the mirror/lens in the telescope (I don’t know the exact name) where eye piece fits. So Need to know how to clean that place.

#9 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Hubble

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 10 May 2021 - 07:15 PM

Update. What I have noticed some dust particles at the mirror/lens in the telescope (I don’t know the exact name) where eye piece fits. So Need to know how to clean that place.

Unfortunately most of the ones you show in the first thread's pikky are in focus & will be on the sensor, making that your priority!

Incidentally, after pulling one of my cameras apart several times lately I need to clean it for a (hopeful) session tonight...I clean mine in the bathroom & Pattie is about to take a shower...after the steamy room has settled down is a great time to do this as there isn't a lot of dust particles floating around...a sort of "clean room." wink.gif

• Lacaille and Kiwi Paul like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Astrophotography, Cassegrain, Celestron, CMOS, Equipment, Imaging/Sketching Contest, Observing, Planet, SCT

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics