•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Considering a used goto mount

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Chardo

Chardo

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Royal Oak, Michigan. USA

Posted 05 May 2021 - 08:12 PM

I would like to get  a goto mount  for visual and  some general  astrophotography. I have a max used budget of $1500usd. I don't have a scope for this mount yet. I do have an 8" f8 newt, but don't think I want to get a mount that big. I'd like it to be relatively portable and reliable. It Doesn't have to be a latest and greatest with all the bells and whistles, It just has to work.  

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Edited by Chardo, 06 May 2021 - 05:15 AM.

#2 Brent Campbell

Brent Campbell

Viking 1

• Loc: Olympia, WA

Posted 05 May 2021 - 08:19 PM

How big of a scope are you putting on the mount?

#3 Chardo

Chardo

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 May 2021 - 08:33 PM

That will depend on the mount I end up getting. The complete rig needs to relatively portable not "grab and go" but I need to be able to pack everything in the car for dark sky trips. For now my main concern is a reliable mount.

How big of a scope are you putting on the mount?

#4 dnrmilspec

dnrmilspec

Mariner 2

• Loc: Southern Arizona

Posted 05 May 2021 - 08:35 PM

That budget puts you in EQ-6 territory if you can find one.  They are super nice and can handle a substantial scope and kit.

• limeyx likes this

#5 Brainebula

Brainebula

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 05 May 2021 - 09:54 PM

That budget puts you in EQ-6 territory if you can find one.  They are super nice and can handle a substantial scope and kit.

Sky Watcher told me just don't exceed 75% capacity for AP work on the EQ-6 R Pro which means they support putting a 33 lb AP rig on that thing. Excellent piece of equipment.

#6 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

ISS

Posted 05 May 2021 - 09:59 PM

A fine mount.  They're also heavy for portable use, unless you're strong.  An HEQ5Pro is pretty good, and half the weight.  For DSO photography (far more demanding of the mount) an 80mm refractor is a good choice.  100mm absolute tops.  An 8 inch Newt would overstrain the mount, for DSO photography.

Edited by bobzeq25, 05 May 2021 - 10:02 PM.

• Chardo likes this

#7 Geo.

Geo.

Vendor - Nexstar Parts

• Vendors
  • Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 09 May 2021 - 01:26 PM

Even 75% might be high if the scope would make a good sail. Say, like a 8" f/4 Newt. 

#8 Chardo

Chardo

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 May 2021 - 09:03 AM

Eq6r pro and the heq5 pro seem to be “new” models. They would use up most of my budget and seem to be out of stock most places. Are there other good options in a used goto mount?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics