•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Starlink Satellites

• Please log in to reply
109 replies to this topic

#1 elmiko

elmiko

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: Arizona

Posted 05 May 2021 - 11:20 PM

I just witnessed a train of Starlink Satellites.☹️ Walked out in my backyard to check out if the sky was clear to setup my imaging rig. Looking north I saw a stream of satellites moving west to east 35 degrees above the horizon. About seven in a row, then another would appear from the Earths shadow, and another, and another...... It was about 9 pm local Mountain time.

Did anyone else see this?

• PirateMike and B 26354 like this

#2 Augustus

Augustus

Vendor

• Vendors
  • Loc: Stamford, Connecticut

Posted 05 May 2021 - 11:23 PM

They just launched, they'll be below the naked eye visibility threshold within the next few days.

• elmiko, LDW47 and t_image like this

#3 elmiko

elmiko

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 05 May 2021 - 11:44 PM

Thanks Augustus. 

#4 PirateMike

PirateMike

Soyuz

• Loc: A Green Dot On A Blue Sea

Posted 06 May 2021 - 12:17 AM

They just launched, they'll be below the naked eye visibility threshold within the next few days.

So when will they be below telescope visibility threshold? Within the next few weeks?

Miguel   8-)

• elmiko, SNH, B 26354 and 1 other like this

#5 Readerp

Readerp

Ranger 4

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 06 May 2021 - 01:07 AM

So when will they be below telescope visibility threshold? Within the next few weeks?

Miguel   8-)

If only that were true frown.gif

• Dave Mitsky, elmiko, barbarosa and 1 other like this

#6 B 26354

B 26354

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Southern California semi-desert (NELM mag 5.3)

Posted 06 May 2021 - 01:28 AM

Did anyone else see this?

Yep. I'd just stepped outside to take some SQM-L readings, to see if the haze that's been bugging my area for the past several weeks had gotten any better. A bright moving object to my NNW at about 60° altitude caught my eye... and as I looked, a line of dozens more followed right behind it, headed toward my NE horizon. Most of them were separated by about 1.5-2 degrees, but a couple of them were less than a quarter-degree apart. I lost count at sixty.

This was the first time I've seen them... and I have to say that I was neither pleased, nor impressed. Quite the opposite, in fact... and like PirateMike, my personal preference would be that they all fade into oblivion.

thumbsdown3.gif

• elmiko, StarDust1, TOMDEY and 2 others like this

#7 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Cosmos

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 06 May 2021 - 01:53 AM

Yep. I'd just stepped outside to take some SQM-L readings, to see if the haze that's been bugging my area for the past several weeks had gotten any better. A bright moving object to my NNW at about 60° altitude caught my eye... and as I looked, a line of dozens more followed right behind it, headed toward my NE horizon. Most of them were separated by about 1.5-2 degrees, but a couple of them were less than a quarter-degree apart. I lost count at sixty.

This was the first time I've seen them... and I have to say that I was neither pleased, nor impressed. Quite the opposite, in fact... and like PirateMike, my personal preference would be that they all fade into oblivion.

thumbsdown3.gif

Unfortunately, we astronomers are ~the little people~. They will humor and patronize us, not unlike the 1950's TV commercials telling my parents that cigarettes were good for them. By time the smoke cleared, the executives and politicians were happily retired and gone from the scene. Some things never change.    Tom

• Jon Isaacs, elmiko, StarDust1 and 2 others like this

#8 t_image

t_image

Gemini

• -----

Posted 06 May 2021 - 04:38 AM

Maybe please some of you make effort to learn just a tiny bit more about things before you over-react..

These results OF VERY RECENT launches all described above aren't at their final spacing and orbit.

The launches are happening at fast pace, promised to make deadlines to the FCC at initial open mega-constellations approval hearings----you know, the ones NONE of you complainers were at to voice and object to them before approval?

At least initially Elon Musk offered acknowleged to stargazers tweeting out "they wouldn't be bright, and anyways the ISS is bright because it has lights on it."foreheadslap.gif  (May 2019).

https://www.teslarat...s-spark-fights/

Edited by t_image, 06 May 2021 - 04:41 AM.

#9 Augustus

Augustus

Vendor

• Vendors

Posted 06 May 2021 - 07:36 AM

Maybe please some of you make effort to learn just a tiny bit more about things before you over-react..
These results OF VERY RECENT launches all described above aren't at their final spacing and orbit.
The launches are happening at fast pace, promised to make deadlines to the FCC at initial open mega-constellations approval hearings----you know, the ones NONE of you complainers were at to voice and object to them before approval?

At least initially Elon Musk offered acknowleged to stargazers tweeting out "they wouldn't be bright, and anyways the ISS is bright because it has lights on it."foreheadslap.gif (May 2019).

SpaceX has done a very good job cooperating with the AAS and IDA to reduce satellite albedo and continues to do so. Attacking them with vitriol makes us all the more easy to patronize as Tom said.

Edited by Augustus, 06 May 2021 - 07:37 AM.

• LDW47 likes this

#10 LDW47

LDW47

Cosmos

• Loc: North Bay,Ontario,Canada

Posted 06 May 2021 - 07:49 AM

Or before that.

• Augustus likes this

#11 LDW47

LDW47

Cosmos

Posted 06 May 2021 - 07:51 AM

At least initially Elon Musk offered acknowleged to stargazers tweeting out "they wouldn't be bright, and anyways the ISS is bright because it has lights on it."foreheadslap.gif  (May 2019).

Well said, as a famous song says on a line ‘give them a chance’ ! Or something like that ?

#12 LDW47

LDW47

Cosmos

Posted 06 May 2021 - 07:52 AM

SpaceX has done a very good job cooperating with the AAS and IDA to reduce satellite albedo and continues to do so. Attacking them with vitriol makes us all the more easy to patronize as Tom said.

We all knew, deep down inside, that they would !

Edited by LDW47, 06 May 2021 - 12:51 PM.

• Augustus likes this

#13 elmiko

elmiko

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 06 May 2021 - 08:26 AM

As Bob Dylan once wrote " The times they are changing" ☹️

• LDW47 and PirateMike like this

#14 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 06 May 2021 - 08:28 AM

I saw that same string last night.  The sky was not fully dark yet, i was looking at something in the southern sky and when I turned around and glanced to the north I saw them at maybe 40 degrees and traveling basically west to east but slightly to the north.

I would guess that 40 or so were visible at once.  I thought about calling my neighbor, I think he would have enjoyed it  but my phone was in the house.

I would also prefer that they fade away.  I'm not complaining, I'm stating a personal preference. That's something very different.. 

Jon

• Dave Mitsky, elmiko, mountain monk and 3 others like this

#15 elmiko

elmiko

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 06 May 2021 - 08:33 AM

What Jon said!

#16 elmiko

elmiko

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 06 May 2021 - 08:36 AM

Isn't there enough light pollution on the ground!? Hey! Let's destroy the night sky, so everyone can get MTV! And post pics of themselves doing nothing on Facebook!!

• PirateMike, B 26354 and Readerp like this

#17 Augustus

Augustus

Vendor

• Vendors

Posted 06 May 2021 - 08:46 AM

Isn't there enough light pollution on the ground!? Hey! Let's destroy the night sky, so everyone can get MTV! And post pics of themselves doing nothing on Facebook!!

Actually, the bulk of Starlink’s market is rural folks who need Internet for work, emergencies, etc. Ironically this demographic includes some astronomers. With the sats below magnitude 6 or 7 the bulk of the time, they’ll affect some research and be annoying to process out if you image shortly after astronomical twilight ends, but in general they won’t affect the aesthetic to the naked eye and for something like 90% of amateurs and researchers are about as much of an issue as aircraft... and nobody calls for shooting planes out of the sky because they ruin astronomy.

Rather than complaining about an issue that we can do basically nothing about, if light pollution bothers you you should join the IDA and learn how to help with dealing with the (far bigger and more destructive) issue of regular terrestrial sky glow. There’s an IDA social this afternoon....
  • elmiko, LDW47 and rexowner like this

#18 spereira

spereira

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Bedford, NH

Posted 06 May 2021 - 08:52 AM

Folks, let's please keep things civil here.

Complaints are OK, but name-calling is not.  I would much prefer to let this discussion continue (as others before it have), but if we descend into vitriol and mud-slinging here, I'll have to lock it up.

smp

• Jon Isaacs, csa/montana, elmiko and 3 others like this

#19 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama & Gold Star Award Winner

• Moderators
  • Loc: montana

Posted 06 May 2021 - 08:55 AM

Agreed!  Everyone is welcome to post their comments, however not when they become disrespectful to other members.

• Jon Isaacs, LDW47, BFaucett and 2 others like this

#20 LDW47

LDW47

Cosmos

Posted 06 May 2021 - 12:49 PM

As Bob Dylan once wrote " The times they are changing" ☹️

You took the words right out of my mouth, as Meat Loaf sang, I think he did, lol ?

• elmiko likes this

#21 kdenny2

kdenny2

Ranger 4

Posted 06 May 2021 - 09:06 PM

Miguel   8-)

They'll be below telescope visibility threshold when they go behind the shadow of the Earth like they are for most of the night.

This is much ado about nothing for amateur astronomers. Light pollution has been & will continue to be an exponentially greater problem for us.

But for professional astronomers, this is a big deal and a growing serious problem.

Edited by kdenny2, 06 May 2021 - 09:07 PM.

• mountain monk and Augustus like this

#22 BillB

BillB

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Texas, USA

Posted 06 May 2021 - 10:12 PM

Getting back into observing after a decade away. Moved to a much darker home with good view of the sky.

Just had my first experience of seeing a train of Starlink sats. frown.gif

Bill

• elmiko likes this

#23 Augustus

Augustus

Vendor

• Vendors

Posted 06 May 2021 - 10:14 PM

They just recently launched and will be below magnitude 7 shortly.  Not much to worry about.

Edited by Augustus, 06 May 2021 - 10:14 PM.

#24 StanH

StanH

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 06 May 2021 - 10:15 PM

Saw two sets tonight.  The first one was not predicted at heavens-above.com.  It was from about 9:32 PM to 9:41 PM from SW to NE passing near Castor and Pollux, with many about as bright as the two stars.  Had to have been at least 60.

Then around 9:54 PM saw the set predicted.  It came from NW passed below Polaris heading SE, but disappeared a ways east of Polaris.  These were much closer together and looked like a line at times.  They were about 3rd magnitude.  Definitely fainter than Polaris.  Only lasted a minute or two.

Edited by StanH, 06 May 2021 - 10:16 PM.

#25 StanH

StanH

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 06 May 2021 - 11:54 PM

Saw two sets tonight.  The first one was not predicted at heavens-above.com.  It was from about 9:32 PM to 9:41 PM from SW to NE passing near Castor and Pollux, with many about as bright as the two stars.  Had to have been at least 60.

Then around 9:54 PM saw the set predicted.  It came from NW passed below Polaris heading SE, but disappeared a ways east of Polaris.  These were much closer together and looked like a line at times.  They were about 3rd magnitude.  Definitely fainter than Polaris.  Only lasted a minute or two.

Does anyone have a clue what the first batch was?  I cannot find a Starlink launch to match up to it.  These had to be much lower than the second set suggesting a more recent launch.  Maybe something other than Starlink?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics