•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ZWO camera for both guiding and planetary?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 DJL

DJL

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 May 2021 - 11:39 PM

I already have a ZWO 290 MM mini which I use with a guide scope for my refractor.

It looks like I am getting a reflector and am hoping to use an OAG with it. Although I will be able to switch the existing guide camera to the OAG, it will be more convenient to get another guide camera.

With a reflector I will also better equipped for planetary. So I'm wondering if there are any suggestions for a camera that could fulfill both roles - guide and planetary. It would have to be ZWO for use with ASIAIR Pro. Thoughts on color vs mono for planetary would also be appreciated.

Clear skies,

#2 WadeH237

WadeH237

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Ellensburg, WA

Posted 06 May 2021 - 08:13 AM

Personally, I would not want a single camera to do both planetary and guiding.

For guiding, I want a mono camera.  For planetary, I want a one-shot-color camera.  Since you already have the 290MM, I would suggest just shopping for a planetary camera.

• DJL likes this

#3 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 06 May 2021 - 01:05 PM

Yes, you might want to continue with your 290MM mini for guiding (I have one and it is a great camera for EAA or use as guider). I'd suggest something like a 224MC (which I used to own), or the new 462MC for planetary imaging.

• DJL likes this

#4 rockdrigo

rockdrigo

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 06 May 2021 - 01:38 PM

I agree, for me the movement would be keep the 290mm only for guiding and get the 462 for planetary.
  • DJL likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics