•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Hotech Advanced CT Laser Collimator users help required

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Gadg

Gadg

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 May 2021 - 08:46 AM

Hello members -

I purchased a Hotech Advanced CT Laser Collimator to use on my 11" EdgeHD, but have some concerns with the crosshair laser.

My query and issue is with the width (mainly horizontal) of the returning crosshair laser on the collimator.

I watched many videos prior to purchasing and they all showed the crosshair beams were pretty much narrow and fitting between the crosshair lines on the collimator, yet the returning beams hitting my collimator especially on the horizontal are about 3 times the width of the collimator crosshair lines. 

Is this normal, or is there an issue with my collimator crosshair laser.

I have tried changing the distance from the OTA to see if it would make a difference from around 550mm to 900mm with minimal change.

Have attached some images to show the width of the reflected beams and would like to know if your returning crosshairs are the same, or fit between the collimator lines like the videos I've seen.

Any assistance is appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20210407_162825.JPG
  • 20210407_162832.JPG
  • 20210407_163710.JPG

#2 Sqeela

Sqeela

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: UK

Posted 06 May 2021 - 02:44 PM

Hi,

Honestly I'd have to set mine up to compare but I agree your first picture seems like its overly wide. The second pic looks more normal shaped. Could you rotate the tube and see if these remain constant? I'm not convinced its causing you an issue in alignment though.

My experience with the Hotech was challenging at first as I could not initially understand where misalignment was coming from. In my case it was a fraction of offset caused by my focuser and diagonal fitting - now locked in place to alignment perfection!

Ade

#3 Gadg

Gadg

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 May 2021 - 08:26 PM

Hi Ade 

Thanks for your response.

I have rotated the tube with no change in the width. 

To check the beam before it enters the tube, I placed a piece of paper in front of the corrector plate to see if the width changed and it appears that it hasn't.

cheers

Attached Thumbnails

• 20210408_135528.JPG

#4 Sqeela

Sqeela

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: UK

Posted 07 May 2021 - 01:24 PM

The deviations the Hotech highlights due to the most minor misalignment are magnitudes greater than this (i.e. lines being many mm out of sync) so being totally honest I don't think this should concern you.

If you have rotated the tube and the pattern is constant then its just a nuance of the Hotech and not indicative of anything in your OTA.

Ade

#5 Gadg

Gadg

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 May 2021 - 09:09 PM

Hi Ade

Thanks for your insight - it's appreciated.

My concern is if this wide beam is not normal and should be the width of the lines on the collimator, hence my reason for asking other owners if theirs are the same.

If not, then I need to send back to Hotech.

I think I put this thread in the wrong section - only put it in Cats & Casses cause I saw a couple of older Hotech threads here, maybe should have put in the Equipment section but can't work out how to move it over.

Relatively new to placing threads so still trying to learn how to use.

Might have to re-do in Equipment 

Thanks

Peter

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics