•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Need Case or ? For Intes MK67

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 anarrowfellow

anarrowfellow

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 06 May 2021 - 09:08 AM

I have an Intes MK67. I need a case or bag for it. It has a Moonlite focuser, so length is a bit longer than standard MK67. Dimensions are 18x10x8.5 including handle and Telrad base. I can't find any Pelican or other cases that have an interior tall depth of at least 8.5 inches, along with other dimensions.

Are there any 150mm Mak cases available with these interior dimensions? If so let me know. Thanks!

#2 jerobe

jerobe

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southeast Texas

Posted 06 May 2021 - 09:43 AM

I use a Sportsmans Trunk, made by Plano, for my 6 inch Explore Scientific Mak-Newt. My trunk is the large version, 108 quart, model 1919. There's no inner padding but you can improvise easily enough.  It is durable, has 2 wheels, offers good protection and relatively inexpensive.  I bought it through Amazon but the outdoor recreation stores and big hardware stores stock them also.

• anarrowfellow likes this

#3 Bill Barlow

Bill Barlow

Aurora

• Loc: Overland Park KS

Posted 06 May 2021 - 10:24 AM

When I owned that scope, I used an Orion soft case for their 180 MAK and it worked fine.  It is long enough (~22”) that it will fit with your focuser attached.  Not sure of its availability though.

Bill

• anarrowfellow likes this

#4 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • Loc: VA

Posted 06 May 2021 - 04:39 PM

look at the astronomics web site.  They sell cases for other telescopes, but I bet you can find what you need.  

#5 maroubra_boy

maroubra_boy

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 06 May 2021 - 06:07 PM

Or you can build your own.

The one's I've made were deliberately robust as I have limited space in my man cave so they need to cope with other stuff being put on top of them.  Same deal when travelling with the scopes, if I know that they are secure and without any concerns about packing other stuff on them, then I can concentrate on driving, not worrying about "oh, the scope isn't going to like that...".

Below are pics of scope cases I have made for a fork mounted SCT, a 9" and 10" pair of Maks.  All the contact areas between scope and case are all foam lined.

Before buying or making a case, think about how you use the scope, where you take it, how you may need to stow it at home and what you pack in the car with you when you go away with it.  Soft case/bag vs hard case.  Pros and cons to each.

Me, I am not a great fan of soft cases/bags, but that's me.

The ED80 refractor I have I keep in a foam padded tool box I found at a hardware store.  That's another option, looking for a suitably large & robust tool box that can have foam fitted into it to take they your scope.  I keep a few accessories in that case with the scope too.

Alex.

Attached Thumbnails

• SCT case (8).JPG
  • Santel Mak case (11) - Copy.JPG
  • Santel Mak case (3) small.JPG
  • Intes-Micro Alter M1008 Deluxe (7) - Copy.JPG

Edited by maroubra_boy, 06 May 2021 - 06:11 PM.

• luxo II likes this

#6 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • Loc: VA

Posted 06 May 2021 - 06:49 PM

Or you can build your own.

The one's I've made were deliberately robust as I have limited space in my man cave so they need to cope with other stuff being put on top of them.  Same deal when travelling with the scopes, if I know that they are secure and without any concerns about packing other stuff on them, then I can concentrate on driving, not worrying about "oh, the scope isn't going to like that...".

Below are pics of scope cases I have made for a fork mounted SCT, a 9" and 10" pair of Maks.  All the contact areas between scope and case are all foam lined.

Before buying or making a case, think about how you use the scope, where you take it, how you may need to stow it at home and what you pack in the car with you when you go away with it.  Soft case/bag vs hard case.  Pros and cons to each.

Me, I am not a great fan of soft cases/bags, but that's me.

The ED80 refractor I have I keep in a foam padded tool box I found at a hardware store.  That's another option, looking for a suitably large & robust tool box that can have foam fitted into it to take they your scope.  I keep a few accessories in that case with the scope too.

Alex.

nice cases, but not everyone has the talent you do to make their own case.

#7 GGK

GGK

Mariner 2

• Loc: SouthWest Florida

Posted 06 May 2021 - 07:11 PM

Celestron case 94003 will work. It’s made for up to a C8 OTA. 

Inside

19L x 10.5W x 9 Deep not including the thin zippered storage area on the top half. Bottom half has a strap to hold the OTA. 
Outside

About 23 x 14.5 x 14.5. 

My C8 with visual back installed is 19L and 9”Diameter  (not including the finder brackets).

Rather expensive at $250, but you buy it once and then your done and you have a pretty nice case to protect your OTA. 

Gary

Attached Thumbnails

• 6C06D1A4-6487-487C-8394-C7372E022D3E.jpeg

Edited by GGK, 06 May 2021 - 07:15 PM.

#8 maroubra_boy

maroubra_boy

Apollo

• -----

Posted 06 May 2021 - 09:07 PM

nice cases, but not everyone has the talent you do to make their own case.

Of course not, waytogo.gif

However, while you may not have the ability to make one (lack of tools or skills), it is also possible to ask a mate to make one for you if you know they are able to.  I've made one for a friend as well.

Finding an off the shelf "Mak case" that will not only take your specific scope AND the appendages it has is more than a long shot.  Intes scopes were supplied with their own fitted case which has allowance for the handle.  However, if you have a Telrad fitted to it, you won't find a purpose-made Mak case to take it.  Even the nice case Gary posted picture of would need internal modifications (packing to fill the void around the scope), even if was long enough to take your scope.  Instead, unless you make one or have one made for you, the only option is finding a ready made case (tool case for example), and taking the trouble to line it with foam.  The foam can be cut to shape to not only fit the case but also fit the shape of the scope and appendages.  Most retail foam suppliers should be able to do this for the case you supply them with.

Alex.

Edited by maroubra_boy, 06 May 2021 - 09:11 PM.

#9 anarrowfellow

anarrowfellow

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 06 May 2021 - 09:51 PM

Thanks, everyone. Unfortunately nothing suggested so far really works for me.

$250 bucks for a case is not an option.

The Orion cases are not available anywhere. Not sure when or even if they'll be available again.

I have no zero nada woodworking skills.

Pelican, Harbor Freight, etc. cases none of them are deep/tall enough. Plenty available with length and width but none tall enough.

Someone else suggested percussion cases. I'm looking at cajon cases right now at around $25 for a padded case by Meinl. They are something like 24x12x12 with padding, which works for an MK67 and I can keep diagonal attached. So far that about only option that seems appropriate.

#10 luxo II

luxo II

Soyuz

• -----

Posted 06 May 2021 - 10:04 PM

You're not looking very hard.

My MK66 is in an original black soft case which I think at the time was a generic type made originally for big full-fat video cameras of that era (VHS or Beta). Your MK67 will fit that for sure.

The thing to look for these days are bags for studio lighting for the photo industry, for example https://www.hypop.co...-hard-carry-bag

or bags for sporting equipment (if you are into cricket or hockey, you'll know what I mean).

Then there's this little lot https://www.teleskop...gs---Cases.html

At the very least I suggest you COULD wield a pair of scissors and cut a sheet of medium density 20mm foam to line a bag reasonably well.

Edited by luxo II, 06 May 2021 - 10:09 PM.

• maroubra_boy likes this

#11 maroubra_boy

maroubra_boy

Apollo

• -----

Posted 06 May 2021 - 10:04 PM

Percussion cases are a good option.  Often used with other scope designs too.  Easy to find suitably thick sheets of foam rubber to wrap the scope in to pad it out.  A thick yoga mat for instance may do with Velcro straps around it.

I'd be wary of keeping the diagonal in the scope though.   It is a weak spot that if it takes a considerable knock may stuff the back of the scope's cell and hence the alignment of the optics.  A risk that is just too high to take.  Even with the cases I make I never design them to take a diagonal in the back of the OTA.

#12 Virtus

Virtus

Ranger 4

• Loc: SE NC

Posted 07 May 2021 - 10:12 AM

Here is what I'm looking at getting for my C6. Looks very similar to the Orion bag and it's only $50!

https://www.walmart....IMAXX/773207855

Edit - in fact I just ordered one grin.gif

Edited by Virtus, 07 May 2021 - 10:19 AM.

#13 photoracer18

photoracer18

Skylab

• Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Posted 07 May 2021 - 04:40 PM

I have an Intes MK67. I need a case or bag for it. It has a Moonlite focuser, so length is a bit longer than standard MK67. Dimensions are 18x10x8.5 including handle and Telrad base. I can't find any Pelican or other cases that have an interior tall depth of at least 8.5 inches, along with other dimensions.

Are there any 150mm Mak cases available with these interior dimensions? If so let me know. Thanks!

Wonder what happened to the original because the MK67 all came with them, even the Orion ones. I have a Feathertouch on mine and it fits in the original case fine. Most hard cases are not deep enough so I would guess a pro camcorder case or a big photo bag might be the next thing to look at. Something else might be a big shooting range bag plus those have lots of little pockets that you can put other things like eyepieces and such in, and like a photo bag they have a shoulder strap.

MK67 adapter-1024.gif

Edited by photoracer18, 07 May 2021 - 04:43 PM.

• Jaimo! likes this

#14 GGK

GGK

Mariner 2

Posted 07 May 2021 - 08:02 PM

Thanks, everyone. Unfortunately nothing suggested so far really works for me.

$250 bucks for a case is not an option.

The Orion cases are not available anywhere. Not sure when or even if they'll be available again.

I have no zero nada woodworking skills.

Pelican, Harbor Freight, etc. cases none of them are deep/tall enough. Plenty available with length and width but none tall enough.

Someone else suggested percussion cases. I'm looking at cajon cases right now at around $25 for a padded case by Meinl. They are something like 24x12x12 with padding, which works for an MK67 and I can keep diagonal attached. So far that about only option that seems appropriate.

Sorry, I misunderstood. I recommended the Celestron case because you said that you could not find a Pelican case. In this size, you won’t touch a Pelican case under $250.  The Pelican BX80 is the right size, but it’s $300 and then you need to get foam for a proper insert which will be another $70 or so. Compared to that cost, the $250 Celestron case looked good and required less work.  

#15 luxo II

luxo II

Soyuz

• -----

Posted 07 May 2021 - 08:11 PM

anarrowfellow,

These scopes were shipped in a pretty good padded bag (still have mine) which suggests a previous owner kept it, which is unfortunate to put it bluntly when a decent replacement costs 30% of the value of the scope..

Do you have the printed test report, finderscope and camera bracket or has someone lost those too ?

Edited by luxo II, 07 May 2021 - 08:12 PM.

#16 GGK

GGK

Mariner 2

Posted 07 May 2021 - 08:16 PM

Some guys just get a 17 gallon plastic tote from Lowe’s or HD and line it with a cut up Walmart yoga pad. Not perfect, but it works. 

You could do that cheap for now while you wait for something better to come back into stock. 

You might also want to put a Wanted Ad in the classifieds. I saw a few cases were sold over the last few months (don’t know what size), and there might be people with an extra case that they didn’t even think of listing for sale. 

Good luck. Gary

#17 luxo II

luxo II

Soyuz

• -----

Posted 07 May 2021 - 08:26 PM

Ok if doing that watch for the size carefully. There were two similar but different Intes bags.

One is longer and narrower to suit the MK66 and MK67 - with the dew cap in place, and it has a little pouch inside for the visual back and a larger pouch to hold the finder.

The other very similar bag is for the M615. This bag is fatter (so is the OTA) but shorter and won’t hold the MK67.

#18 nfotis

nfotis

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Athens, Greece

Posted 13 May 2021 - 03:54 PM

There are many different padded bags, such as:

https://www.firstlig...ith-pocket.html

https://www.firstlig...ith-pocket.html

A hard case specifically designed for carrying scopes isn't cheap.

N.F.

#19 photoracer18

photoracer18

Skylab

• Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Posted 13 May 2021 - 04:35 PM

Ok if doing that watch for the size carefully. There were two similar but different Intes bags.

One is longer and narrower to suit the MK66 and MK67 - with the dew cap in place, and it has a little pouch inside for the visual back and a larger pouch to hold the finder.

The other very similar bag is for the M615. This bag is fatter (so is the OTA) but shorter and won’t hold the MK67.

The MK67 does not have a visual back, its fixed optics, and its case has no room for a dew shield unless you use one of the wrap-around ones which you can then slide down over the OTA. Odd numbered MK 6" models are fixed optics while even numbered ones are moving primary focus. Does not hold true for larger ones. MK67 cases have a pad that sits under the focuser, and have an outside pouch that you can put the finder in. I have owned both an MK66 with its moving primary and an original MK65 JMI import with the JMI focuser in the past.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics