•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Recommendation for a second telescope

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 ParagPA

ParagPA

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 May 2021 - 09:37 AM

Hello,

I'm looking for a recommendation for a second telescope for astrophotography. 

My current equipment is:

• Orion ED80T-CF
• Orion 0.8x focal reducer
• Canon T3i modified
• Orion 50mm guidescope
• ASI120-MM guide cam
• iOption CEM40 mount with iOpron Polar camera

However, my ED80T-CF and mount fell over in a hard wind, when they were under a tarp. I send the telescope to Orion, and they said it couldn't be repaired. So now I'm looking for an upgrade / new telescope.

I'm looking for something with a slightly longer focal distance than the ED80T-CF, but also something faster - f/4 or better. I'm considering switching to a reflector. I chose the ED80T originally to avoid collimation, and it seemed easy to work with. 

I know this is fairly broad - but any recommendations are appreciated. I also remember there being a newer type of telescope, which is basically supposed to be a light bucket - it's got a 4 letter acronym, and I can't for the life of me remember. Higher end, more expensive, but smaller while still being very fast. 

Thanks much,

Parag

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#2 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 06 May 2021 - 09:42 AM

Hello,

My current equipment is:

• Orion ED80T-CF
• Canon T3i modified
• Orion 50mm guidescope
• ASI120-MM guide cam

However, my ED80T-CF and mount fell over in a hard wind, when they were under a tarp. I send the telescope to Orion, and they said it couldn't be repaired. So now I'm looking for an upgrade / new telescope.

I'm looking for something with a slightly longer focal distance than the ED80T-CF, but also something faster - f/4 or better. I'm considering switching to a reflector. I chose the ED80T originally to avoid collimation, and it seemed easy to work with. 

I know this is fairly broad - but any recommendations are appreciated. I also remember there being a newer type of telescope, which is basically supposed to be a light bucket - it's got a 4 letter acronym, and I can't for the life of me remember. Higher end, more expensive, but smaller while still being very fast. 

Thanks much,

Parag

Parag:

Orion said it couldn't be repaired.  What they really meant was they couldn't repair it. Maybe no one can repair it but maybe someone can.. 

What's wrong with it?

Jon

#3 ParagPA

ParagPA

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 May 2021 - 09:55 AM

Parag:

Orion said it couldn't be repaired.  What they really meant was they couldn't repair it. Maybe no one can repair it but maybe someone can.. 

What's wrong with it?

Jon

That's definitely true - I didn't investigate beyond that, other than to ask Orion for more detail on why it can't be repaired, which I'm waiting on.

I think it's out of collimation - one corner of the telescope is consistently out of focus, no matter what I do.

If you have suggestions on anyone else who might be able to repair it, I'm open to that. I haven't told them to recycle the telescope yet.

Thanks,

Parag

#4 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

ISS

Posted 06 May 2021 - 09:57 AM

Hello,

My current equipment is:

• Orion ED80T-CF
• Canon T3i modified
• Orion 50mm guidescope
• ASI120-MM guide cam

Thanks much,

Parag

Budget would help a lot.

I have a C8 RASA (those the 4 letters?).  F2.  Excellent for light polluted skies.  Not at all easy to set up and use.  Details upon request.

The obvious choice is a small Newtonian.  A 6 inch F4 is 600mm, an 8 inch F4 800mm.  F5 is easier to live with, but F4 is not that hard.

#5 ParagPA

ParagPA

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 May 2021 - 10:02 AM

Budget would help a lot.

I have a C8 RASA (those the 4 letters?).  F2.  Excellent for light polluted skies.  Not at all easy to set up and use.  Details upon request.

The obvious choice is a small Newtonian.  A 6 inch F4 is 600mm, an 8 inch F4 800mm.  F5 is easier to live with, but F4 is not that hard.

RASA! That's it... I'm in a Bortle 5 (Suburban Pittsburgh). I see the C8 F2 RASA is $1699 (but with a 2-3 month backorder :( ), which is in budget, although the original price of $2799 is likely too much. 

I remember reading about these shortly after I got the ED80T, thinking I wish I had heard of them sooner.

Why is it hard to set up and use? I've got about 2 years experience with the ED80-T, so not a complete beginner, but still have a huge amount to learn. 

Thanks,

Parag

#6 Maritime

Maritime

Viking 1

Posted 06 May 2021 - 10:09 AM

Why not a Mak cassegrain of some type?  Highly unlikely you will ever collimate. 

#7 eyeoftexas

eyeoftexas

Apollo

Posted 06 May 2021 - 11:33 AM

That's definitely true - I didn't investigate beyond that, other than to ask Orion for more detail on why it can't be repaired, which I'm waiting on.

I think it's out of collimation - one corner of the telescope is consistently out of focus, no matter what I do.

If you have suggestions on anyone else who might be able to repair it, I'm open to that. I haven't told them to recycle the telescope yet.

Thanks,

Parag

I would definitely investigate this further, first.  Like Jon said, maybe someone can repair, just not Orion.  Once you know one way or the other, then that will help you answer your question. 

#8 Hesiod

Hesiod

Aurora

Posted 06 May 2021 - 11:49 AM

Thanks,

Parag

So I assume the lenses are not cracked. Have tried to expose the objective's cell?

A possibility is that one or both of the lenses became tilted as a consequence of the impact: from Orion's answer I get that the cell is of a non-collimable kind; if are luck however may try to loosen the retention ring and gently shake the telescope while keeping it in hand pointed to the zenith. Probably will not be able to attain a truly good collimation, but could improve the current issue

If the cell is of molded plastic however this could not be possible without damages (which would explain why at Orion were not willing to do the attempt)

In any case I would ask them to give a "diagnosis": what is wrong, and why they think can not be fixed.

#9 rblackadar

rblackadar

Vostok 1

• Loc: Northern California (Mt. Tam)

Posted 06 May 2021 - 12:10 PM

I once bought an used achromat that had obviously fallen on its dew shield, which was dented. Later, I discovered that the blow had wrenched the lens cell off its threads on one side, thus making it cross-threaded and off collimation. A very easy fix, albeit requiring a serious application of force to get the durn thing off.

#10 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

ISS

Posted 06 May 2021 - 04:02 PM

RASA! That's it... I'm in a Bortle 5 (Suburban Pittsburgh). I see the C8 F2 RASA is $1699 (but with a 2-3 month backorder frown.gif ), which is in budget, although the original price of $2799 is likely too much. 

I remember reading about these shortly after I got the ED80T, thinking I wish I had heard of them sooner.

Why is it hard to set up and use? I've got about 2 years experience with the ED80-T, so not a complete beginner, but still have a huge amount to learn. 

Thanks,

Parag

A variety of reasons.  Mostly the _extremely_ small depth of field, and sensitivity to tilt.  Many get focus issues that are hard to diagnose.  If you ever get one, do _not_ touch the collimation unless you're _sure_ that's the problem.  Do not mess with it "just because". 

Solutions also vary, a lot.  It's touchy.

Instead.

https://www.teleskop...2--Focuser.html

plus coma corrector.

Edited by bobzeq25, 06 May 2021 - 04:03 PM.

• MellonLake and ParagPA like this

#11 luxo II

luxo II

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 07 May 2021 - 01:06 AM

Coming from an ED80 and looking for something compact, I'll suggest this instead of an 8" RASA https://www.cloudyni...anyone-use-one/

Edited by luxo II, 07 May 2021 - 01:06 AM.

• ParagPA likes this

#12 ParagPA

ParagPA

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 May 2021 - 11:36 AM

Coming from an ED80 and looking for something compact, I'll suggest this instead of an 8" RASA https://www.cloudyni...anyone-use-one/

Hah! I also posted this on Reddit's WAAT thread, and got a similar response - Celestron EdgeHD 8" w/ Hyperstar. That's my leading contender right now. I like the option of the really long focal length that provides also. Thanks!

#13 EricSi

EricSi

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 09 May 2021 - 04:35 AM

Hah! I also posted this on Reddit's WAAT thread, and got a similar response - Celestron EdgeHD 8" w/ Hyperstar. That's my leading contender right now. I like the option of the really long focal length that provides also. Thanks!

So you started out wanting something around F/4 and now your leading contender is F/10. Just curious why you changed your mind.....

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics