•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Using My Smartphone as a Guide-Scope! (Sky-Safari 6 Pro)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Spastroof

Spastroof

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

Posted 06 May 2021 - 09:56 AM

As a beginner, one of the most frustrating thing during DSO Astrophotography session is finding your object in the sky especially if you're not using any Guide-Scope or connecting your laptop for stretching photos, etc. I'm living in a Bortle 9 area and I lost a lot of time finding the targets by Star hopping as I have to take a 2 sec image with high ISO and compare the stars to the one I see on my Astro apps like Stellarium etc. And sometimes it's hard exactly where you are. So, I tried to use Sky-Safari 6 Pro app , connect my phone on top of the DSLR , align a bright star on the center of my LiveView and on the center of the App after creating a frame with the same lens and DSLR under "Scope Display". Then I tried to find one of the objects and it worked just GREAT! Yes it's sooo accurate but the object at least was inside the frame and then you have to do a little adjustment. 

IMG-20210506-WA0015.jpg

Here in the app I chose the same lens & DSLR I'm using.

Screenshot_20210506-174357_SkySafari 6 Pro.jpg

And here how it looks like in the app

Screenshot_20210506-174419_SkySafari 6 Pro.jpg

I know because my lens is 135mm which is a really Wide field so it's easier to frame. But I'm sure even with Telescope like William Optics ZenithStar 61II which is around 570mm with a Crop-Sensor it will work just fine and even if it's much less accurate but it will save you a lot of time to frame. I'm planning to test this method with my William Optics zenithstar 61II after I receive the Flattener which is next week then will update the post.

I just wanted to share this experience as I believe it will help A LOT of beginners who are finding difficulties to frame especially in a heavy light polluted areas.

• photomagica and jerahian like this

#2 Professor2112

Professor2112

Viking 1

• Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 06 May 2021 - 10:05 AM

This is actually a really great idea!  I have that app myself, although my mount is goto and I use nina/plate solving and all the jazz for my imaging sessions.  But my wife wants to get a star tracker and start using her dslr for some AP, and I can see this helping her out a lot!  Thanks for sharing!

• Spastroof likes this

#3 Spastroof

Spastroof

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

Posted 06 May 2021 - 10:08 AM

This is actually a really great idea!  I have that app myself, although my mount is goto and I use nina/plate solving and all the jazz for my imaging sessions.  But my wife wants to get a star tracker and start using her dslr for some AP, and I can see this helping her out a lot!  Thanks for sharing!

Yes this will help her a lot! 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics