•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Difference between Orion eon 130 vs AT-130edt

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jwj1217

jwj1217

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 May 2021 - 10:25 AM

I'm looking at purchasing a new refractor at a medium focal length. I would use the scopes for imaging most of the time. These two seem to feet my budget and both have positive reviews. Does anyone know what drives the difference in price between the two?  Additionally, any recommendations on what automated focuser would you place on either one? 

clear skies,

Jim

#2 David I

David I

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Illinois

Posted 06 May 2021 - 11:12 AM

https://www.youtube....h?v=-a6C0on-fXE

https://www.youtube....h?v=YSHtxvz22Zw

This video shows the Orion with automated focuser 

From what I read on CN, these two are essentially the same scope.

The Orion is in stock.

I was considering the Orion Eon 130mm for mostly visual but I ordered the Eon 104mm for it's FPL-53 ED glass and one element of FPL-51 ED glass.

David

Edited by David I, 06 May 2021 - 11:15 AM.

#3 rkaufmann87

rkaufmann87

Apollo

• Loc: Folsom, CA

Posted 06 May 2021 - 04:42 PM

The AT 130EDT is a fine instrument. If you are an imager and want to get an idea of it's capabilities please navigate to Astrobin.com and do a search for AT130EDT and you will find LOTS of images. Obviously in AP work, the telescope is only part of the equation.

I have had an AT 130 about 4  years now and can attest that it is great value and provides incredible views. For example below is my first attempt at AP, most of the ones you find on AstroBin are far superior to mine though:

Roger's First M31.jpg

I seriously doubt you would be disappointed by the scope. That being said, you have not stated from what I can tell what you will be doing with the scope, whether it is visual of AP work. So that insight may be helpful. If you intend to be doing AP work, what is far more important than the scope is your mount. Also, if you are not experienced in AP, it would be mistake to begin with a 130MM refractor, most here will counsel you to begin with a 80MM triplet.  

Edited by rkaufmann87, 06 May 2021 - 04:44 PM.

• Paul Morow and fmeschia like this

#4 jwj1217

jwj1217

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 May 2021 - 05:50 PM

Thanks for the input. I am experienced. I will be purchasing a new mount for it. Looking at g11t/g11g or cem 120. It will be saddle mounted with an sct. Guidescope /oag will be used. Camera is a qhy 268 mono. Will be used for imaging most of the time. I'll use the sct for galaxy season and photometry. I'm really trying to understand why the eon costs more when I think they are the same scope.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

#5 rkaufmann87

rkaufmann87

Apollo

• Loc: Folsom, CA

Posted 06 May 2021 - 08:01 PM

My vote would be to go with a Losmandy, particularly due to build quality, made in the USA, incredible support and upgradeability. Simple to work on but they generally don't need it but when you do they are easy to get and are available. Downside now is cable management if you take you time and think through your cable management it isn't an issue 

#6 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 07 May 2021 - 05:43 PM

I'm really trying to understand why the eon costs more when I think they are the same scope.

If there are enough buyers of the Orion branded scope that are not aware they are the same scope, that might explain why they can sell at different prices. 

• rexowner and David I like this

#7 jwj1217

jwj1217

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 May 2021 - 12:00 AM

It sounds like the Astro-tech is the better buy given they are the same scope. What is a good automated focuser for the scope? The zwo EAF? Other recommendations?

Thanks to all who have responded.

Jim

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics